HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > General Discussion

Old Posted Nov 2, 2008, 12:56 AM

What neighbourhood do I live in?

I figured I'd get a straight answer to this question from the people on here.

I live between Parkdale and Holland, just south of Scott Street/Tunney's pasture. Does this mean that I live in Mechanicsville, or Wellington Village or Hintonburg...?

I was told that this general area was a slum and had a really bad rep up until about 5 years ago. It's apparently "Up-and-coming", what with the little art studio's/galleries, the Market, the new condos, and the little restaurants/cafe's on Wellington and on Holland. I also see that many of the houses are being/recently have been renovated. Apparently a lot of the vagrant or scuzzy people that lived/hung around here are slowly being driven out/away in the last couple of years.

I'm also curious about something else...is the area between Holland and Island Park considered Wellington Village? I kinda view Island Park as the divide between Westboro and Wellington districts...

L8tz!

Old Posted Nov 2, 2008, 4:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis137 View Post
I figured I'd get a straight answer to this question from the people on here.

I live between Parkdale and Holland, just south of Scott Street/Tunney's pasture. Does this mean that I live in Mechanicsville, or Wellington Village or Hintonburg...?

I was told that this general area was a slum and had a really bad rep up until about 5 years ago. It's apparently "Up-and-coming", what with the little art studio's/galleries, the Market, the new condos, and the little restaurants/cafe's on Wellington and on Holland. I also see that many of the houses are being/recently have been renovated. Apparently a lot of the vagrant or scuzzy people that lived/hung around here are slowly being driven out/away in the last couple of years.

I'm also curious about something else...is the area between Holland and Island Park considered Wellington Village? I kinda view Island Park as the divide between Westboro and Wellington districts...

L8tz!
Wellington Village is a modern creation, giving the Wellington commercial strip as far west as Island Park Drive an identity.

Historically, you live in Hintonburg, which runs south from Scott Street to the Queensway, east from the O-Train at least to Holland Avenue.

Mechanicsville is the area east of Tunney's Pasture and north of Scott Street.

Ottawa West is the area west of Tunney's Pasture and north of Scott Street as far west as Island Park

Hampton Park is the area centred on Island Park Drive, south of Scott Street as far south as Carling (Hampton Park Plaza at the corner of Carling and Kirkwood is the far southwest corner).

Laurentian View is the area immediately to the west of Hampton Park and centred on Kirkwood.

Westboro is centred on Churchill and runs all the way up to the Ottawa River.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2008, 5:26 AM
Busy Beaver

Old Posted Nov 2, 2008, 1:20 PM

Well, thank you very kindly for the in-depth description! Well, Hintonburg it is then...

On a side note, I was told there is a leash-free dog park near here...that it's out on one of the islands...think it's called Lemeuix or something like that? I tried to do a google search, but came up with vague responses.

I'd like to get Nikita to a park where she can run/etc to get her energy burnt off...and be able to just walk her there within 15-20 mins each way.

Thanks again!

Old Posted Nov 2, 2008, 3:22 PM
R2-D2's army of death

Lemieux Island is the island in the photo above. Right next to the "O" in "Ottawa River".

By the Way, I live in Wellington Village. It's a great neighbourhood.
Franky: Ajldub, name calling is what they do when good arguments can't be found - don't sink to their level. Claiming the thread is "boring" is also a way to try to discredit a thread that doesn't match their particular bias.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > General Discussion