HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > London Area Photos & Videos

Old Posted Jul 30, 2011, 4:45 PM
User Registered

London viewed from the river.

Harris Park Panorama by Bun T. Pein Photography, on Flickr

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Jul 31, 2011, 1:01 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Great shot, but man that courthouse is fugly.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Jul 31, 2011, 3:31 AM
Torontonian Refugee

I really like the shots tha make London look bigger than it actually is. I have one taken from the southwest (not sure who it belongs to so I won't post it yet) that gives the illusion of an endless skyline and an internal freeway.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2011, 5:04 AM

I know I'm going to get a lot of flak for this but I love the Law Courts it's the commie blocks downtown that I hate.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2011, 4:18 PM
User Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
I know I'm going to get a lot of flak for this but I love the Law Courts it's the commie blocks downtown that I hate.
Well I don't like the courthouse for two reasons:

1. The design. It's so "In Your Face!" and draws your eyes to its brutalist design.
2. The location. This big slab of a building blocks the rest of the skyline behind it, especially when looking from the riverfront.

I just wish it had some more appeal and character to it since it's a riverfront building.

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Jul 31, 2011, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haljackey View Post
Well I don't like the courthouse for two reasons:
I just wish it had some more appeal and character to it since it's a riverfront building.
All of the courthouses that the province built in the 70's had that same design philosophy and building materials, complete with inane abstract art sculpture out front. Check out the provincial courthouses in Kitchener and Milton.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2011, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snark View Post
All of the courthouses that the province built in the 70's had that same design philosophy and building materials, complete with inane abstract art sculpture out front. Check out the provincial courthouses in Kitchener and Milton.
I just looked them up on Streetview. The Kitchener one doesn't look so bad, although the overhang at the entrance is fugly as uck.

The Milton one, on the other hand, is God-awful. Reminds me of the Social Science Centre at Western.

Brutalist architecture at its best.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2011, 8:37 PM
bro

Smile

Nice picture, Haljacky. Which night of Rock the Park was that taken? My friends and I walked down on the last night when Sloan, Our Lady Peace and Stone Temple Pilots played. We were down on the western rocky bank by the river, on the far far left of your photo. It was totally a lot of fun skipping stones across the Thames whilst listening to Sloan play 200ft away. Sucked that the concert got dumped on before STP got on stage, though. But the hilarious atmosphere created by the rain was definitely fun in itself. People running to take cover under trees, and the mass exodus up the Harris hill to Dufferin. That was basically the first rain in like two weeks from what I remember.

Also, I've always imagined what a sleek glass tower could do for that river view if built on the Fullerton/Queens lot. If it was a decent height (twenty-ish stories) it would totally balance out the beige and definitely complement the Brute-house and Harriston. I'm really happy that that's still an empty lot, means my daydreaming can continue unabated.

Anyway, here's another shot from my rooftop just in case you guys haven't gotten completely sick of it yet. This time I made sure to get both TD towers in frame for the lovely Simpseatles

(click to enlarge)

Old Posted Aug 2, 2011, 4:34 AM

I don't know if you realised this, but you have managed to capture 3 buildings that are/were the record holders for height in the city for many decades each. Nice catch.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2011, 7:42 PM
Wannabe Urbanite

[QUOTE=bolognium;5365762]Anyway, here's another shot from my rooftop just in case you guys haven't gotten completely sick of it yet. This time I made sure to get both TD towers in frame for the lovely Simpseatles

QUOTE]

Haha, thanks man! Excellent picture.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2011, 7:46 PM
Wannabe Urbanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
Couldn't agree more!

Seems that we are in the minority though.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2011, 3:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokkei Mizu View Post
Everything points it to being an exact twin. But hey, we can always hope, eh?
Ren 2 will be similar, but with differences from Ren1. Think thinner and pointier.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2011, 8:52 AM
bro

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snark View Post
Ren 2 will be similar, but with differences from Ren1. Think thinner and pointier.
Get out of town. Seriously? Ren 2 could be fatter and uglier and I would still be happy to hear that there'll be differences. We have enough carbon-copy twins as it is. Really hope you're not pulling our leg, Snark.

And thanks for the comment regarding my picture. Never really thought about the height records that those buildings must've held. Neat.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2011, 12:31 PM
Wannabe Urbanite

I don't know about that Snark. It sounds a little too good to be true to me! If it were the same height, but thinner, there would be room for less condos, right?

Old Posted Aug 19, 2011, 3:21 PM
User Registered

Downtown London viewed from Wellington Street.

Downtown London by jamez999, on Flickr

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Aug 20, 2011, 6:01 PM
Wannabe Urbanite

Nice Find! The sunset gives it an interesting quality.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2011, 4:26 AM
User Registered

Found a similar vantage point today:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/6368061...l-1050778@N23/

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Aug 21, 2011, 5:18 PM
bro

I really hate those underpasses for pedestrians. I walk under them a good 5+ times a week and they're always extremely unpleasant. Dark, wet, loud and stinky. Also, some jerks riding motorcycles love to punch it down there making it louder. The Richmond underpass also drips water on you from above and has untamed plants growing everywhere. If London ever wants to rehabilitate SoHo, they're definitely gonna have to improve those underpasses. SoHo's connections to downtown are already limited due to Talbot, Clarence and Waterloo being cut by the CNR line. Then when you throw those ancient 1930's underpasses in the mix you're left with Colborne and Ridout being the only two somewhat attractive pedestrian crossings and even they suck.

However, I do love the vibe you get from the underpasses when you drive through them. Everything I hate about walking under them makes me like them when driving under. All gritty and big-city feeling.

There you go, London. I want it both ways. Make it happen.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2011, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haljackey View Post
Downtown London viewed from Wellington Street.

Downtown London by jamez999, on Flickr
What's the first building on the left? That's not the Galleria is it?
BTW, I like the metal trees.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2011, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolognium View Post
I really hate those underpasses for pedestrians. I walk under them a good 5+ times a week and they're always extremely unpleasant. Dark, wet, loud and stinky. Also, some jerks riding motorcycles love to punch it down there making it louder. The Richmond underpass also drips water on you from above and has untamed plants growing everywhere. If London ever wants to rehabilitate SoHo, they're definitely gonna have to improve those underpasses. SoHo's connections to downtown are already limited due to Talbot, Clarence and Waterloo being cut by the CNR line. Then when you throw those ancient 1930's underpasses in the mix you're left with Colborne and Ridout being the only two somewhat attractive pedestrian crossings and even they suck.

However, I do love the vibe you get from the underpasses when you drive through them. Everything I hate about walking under them makes me like them when driving under. All gritty and big-city feeling.

There you go, London. I want it both ways. Make it happen.
I love going under the Wellington underpass by car. It's the gateway into downtown, really. And it does give that big city feel.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > London Area Photos & Videos