HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Nov 2, 2010, 9:18 PM

Sacramento River: Rio Vista, Isleton, Locke

This is the first of several threads I've been putting together of towns in the Sacramento part of California's Central Valley.

These first two, of towns located along Hwy 160, were inspired by suggestions made here in one of my previous threads. The two lane highway, which stretches from the city of Antioch in the Bay Area up to Sacramento, runs along the Sacramento River. Most of the towns are either located on the levees themselves or behind them.

Part One of Two

Rio Vista, CA (pop 7,876)

Other than this cool bridge, Rio Vista was not my favorite place on this trek so luckily it was first...moving on...

Entering Sacramento County, we reach Isleton, CA (pop 828) which, along with several others towns here, were former Chinese immigrant communities and that history can be seen today in many of the old remaining buildings.

What is this? A pedestrian? No, just my roommate along for the ride.

An actual person, besides us, roaming around!

Locke, CA is an unincorporated community with a really interesting history you can read about here.

h[IMG]ttp://farm2.static.flickr.com/1123/5122657562_a41d35dbb6_o.jpg[/IMG]

Though there were plenty of cars...we ran into very few people

She was not amused by my dogs and after a two minute stare off...

...she very handily took off along the top of the fence.

1: Los Angeles, 2: Hollywood, Glendale, Pasadena, Beverly Hills, 3: Riverside, Santa Ana, Long Beach, 4: San Jose, 5: San Diego, 6: Fresno, 7: Stockton, Modesto, 8: Gold Country, 9: Eureka, Arcata, 10: Monterey, Carmel, 11: Santa Cruz, 12: Sacramento Pt One, 13: Sacramento Pt Two, 14: Roseville & Folsom, 15: Concord & Walnut Creek, 16: Tri-Valley, 17: Berkeley, Emeryville, 18: Fremont, 19: Santa Clara, Mountain View, Palo Alto, 20: Redwood City, Foster City, San Mateo, 21: Oakland, 22: Benicia, Vallejo, 23: Napa, St. Helena, 24: Petaluma, Santa Rosa, Sonoma, 25: San Rafael, 26: Larkspur, Mill Valley, 27: Sausalito, Tiburon, 28: Hollister, San Juan Bautista, 29: Long Beach 2008, 30: Venice, 31: Santa Monica, 32: Sacramento Pt 3, 33: Solvang, 34: Alameda, 35: Knights Ferry, 36: California Zephyr, 37: Colfax, 38: Davis, 39: Oakdale, 40: San Francisco Pt 1, San Francisco Pt 2, 41: Chico, Redding, 42: Kings Beach, 43: Merced, 44: Gold Country pt 2, 45: Gold Country pt 3, 46: Sonora, 47: Vacaville, Fairfield, Suisun City, 48: Orange, Fullerton, 49: Anaheim, Irvine, 50: Newport Beach, Laguna Beach,51: San Francisco, Pt 3, 52: Lodi, 53: Martinez, 54: Ft Bragg, Mendocino, 55: San Luis Obispo

Old Posted Nov 3, 2010, 2:54 AM

Very interesting photos! Those towns definitely have that Wild West look to them.

Interesting history that Locke has. I saw something on TV about it some years ago; I'm not sure if it was a Huell Howser episode, but it does look like a place that Huell Howser would go to.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Nov 3, 2010, 11:19 PM
REAL Kiwi!

Fun to see. I used to ride my bike from Stockton to Rio Vista when I was in high school. Ive driven that route many times. Locke is very interesting, but feels a bit creepy like a ghost town.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2010, 3:41 AM

Nice pictures. Locke seems like an interesting place historically.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2010, 3:46 AM
I'm cheap

Very cool. I keep on saying places that these places remind me of, but Locke reminds me of Barkerville in BC which is a national historic site. Pretty cool place to go.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2010, 5:14 PM

Locke is by the far the coolest and strangest place I've visited in a long time. It was strange because there were very few people walking around and those that were, seemed like tourists. But, I could hear people inside a few of the restaurants/bars. Also, I walked down one of those paths to the next block and instantly felt like I was invading someone's personal space as they were all private, largely run down, back yards. Definitely a neat place to visit.

I checked out Barkerville online and, aside from the differences in the natural setting, I can see the similarities.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2010, 6:57 PM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

Great pics--I love the Delta towns. Wouldn't mind owning a roadhouse out that way.

Next time you're in Locke, ask a local about the lagoon behind town--it's really cool, and entirely hidden to all outsiders. It's not on the maps.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2010, 2:06 AM
CHACUN SON GOÛT

Great Series of Towns. These Delta towns remind me of Louisiana. Louisiana is more wooded but it structures are similar.

Trivia Note: I believe the SACRAMENTO RIVER is at its widest at the RIO VISTA Bridge, but some would say further down where the Sacramento River becomes the CARQUINEZ Straight is where it is the widest.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2010, 6:49 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

Very interesting, I can't get over the ramshackle look to Locke.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2010, 6:25 PM

I think you are right about it being widest at Rio Vista. I'm not sure I'd agree with those who consider the Carquinez Strait as part of the Sacramento River, since the Sacramento meets up with the San Joaquin River further east near Antioch.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos