HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Aug 4, 2016, 3:13 PM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
It's the reverse. Round Rock is substantially more wealthy and would have a much easier time getting a pro sports team due to proximity to transportation (toll roads and I-35), population centers (closer to Austin proper, in line with the trend toward building closer to downtowns, relative to San Marcos at least), a history with sports (Round Rock Express, even if their contribution was minimal), closer ties to true metro-wide wealth via employment patterns (Dell, for instance), and the actual presence of sports fans (San Marcos is a university town, with interest mainly concentrated on their own insular teams). Furthermore, Round Rock does, as mentioned by others, have a larger tax base.
On top of this, Round Rock is seemingly trying to bring in more - already with the Dell campus, more higher education options (Texas State, ACC, TAMU Health something-or-other), Round Rock Express, and also now with the planned Kalahari Resort on 79. It wouldn't be a huge stretch to see a pro sports team interested in the area - perhaps near the 79/130 area or the 45/130 area.

I still prefer downtown, of course, but I could see Round Rock as an attractive location to franchises.

Last edited by drummer; Aug 4, 2016 at 3:25 PM.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2016, 11:15 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Going a bit off topic but when I compare San Marcos with Round Rock, I find that San Marcos feels more like a centralized city as opposed to Round Rock which feels like a sprawling suburb lacking in strong identity. Sure Round Rock is where Dell is headquartered and they have the Round Rock Express, but other than the fact that I sometimes go up to IKEA occasionally, it doesn't have a centralized feel to it.

I know it has a downtown but it's an afterthought. It looks more like a downtown that you would find in a town of 5 to 10,000 people and they have done little to make it the heart of the city. Maybe it's because there wasn't much there to begin with. Georgetown is the county seat and it has true centralized town center.

San Marcos like Georgetown is the county seat and it has a significant university. When your there you feel like your in a small city plus the proximity of Texas State to DT San Marcos makes it feel bigger than it actually is.

I'm one of those people that takes how a city feels to me into account when factoring pros and cons. For example Austin feels bigger than San Antonio. Specifically downtown and the central core. It doesn't mean anything because it's my perception and everyone has different perceptions but for myself it is an important factor to me.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2016, 6:58 PM
World Traveler

San Marcos would certainly be more centrally located with regard to both Austin and San Antonio, definitely. I still think that if Round Rock were to get something, having it on or near 130 would be a must - they could still pull in significant numbers from San Antonio (though not as many as San Marcos). I do like the feel of San Marcos a lot more than Round Rock for all the reasons you mentioned.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2016, 5:28 AM

San Marcos has some problems to address. Flood risk, city vs. university dynamic, San Marcos River floating (see city vs university) in peak season (drunken behavior, public sex and tons of trash), the city council's planning and zoning antics for new development (in flood prone/environmentally sensitive areas of late)... and TRAFFIC!

35 has become very congested here and the city core (downtown/campus area can be a zoo during Fall and Spring sessions. 35 now has a rush hour too here. It wasn't always like that. Add in freight on rail throughout the day and night through the core and it can get downright frustrating.

San Marcos has some things going for it. Robust growth of late- (though a double-edged sword), the San Marcos River, an okay music scene (lots of potential untapped) and proximity to a lot different options... Hill Country, river floating, Austin, San Antonio nearby

I've been living here for the past two years for grad school (after being a lifelong resident of Austin for 30 something years) and would kill for a rail option to Austin (Seaholm, SoCo/Rainey) or downtown San Antonio for my evening social plans any given day. On a clear traffic day its a 30 minute drive to downtown Austin, but rail would consistently offer less travel time without the gridlock.

As for sports potential here...I don't see a serious endeavor here any time soon until the Lone Star rail district (whatever it is) turns dirt for development. While centrally located and more of an identity per se, than Round Rock IMHO- the lack of transit options will stunt potential here in San Marcos.

There's lots of open land ripe for negotiation and development around the outlet mall area ideally speaking. A second downtown area adjacent there (a la the best visions for the Domain) anchored by a regional rail option would probably work pretty well.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2016, 7:56 AM

Lightbulb

San Marcus doesn't have the ability to raise $500 million of its share for a NFL football stadium that could cost over $1 billion. There aren't that many 100% privately funded NFL football stadiums around, and I doubt a team owner wishing to move to San Antonio/Austin market was willing to do so where the team is located now.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2016, 7:29 PM

If you support a MLS soccer team coming to Austin, please fill out this survey: https://barrettsports.az1.qualtrics....ZbhIJD?id=star

Old Posted Dec 16, 2016, 9:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerhoof View Post
If you support a MLS soccer team coming to Austin, please fill out this survey: https://barrettsports.az1.qualtrics....ZbhIJD?id=star
Thank you for sharing. That felt good to fill out.

I suggested a stadium location along the river near Austin High School and the YMCA. Easy access to Mopac and downtown residents could walk there. Put parking garage along the railroad and help develop the 5th Street/Pressler area. As a concert venue it would have both the river and downtown as an amazing backdrop.

I also suggested a 'pitch owners club' like the small teams in England or the Green Bay Packers.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2016, 12:51 AM
World Traveler

Done and done. I'll need to share that with a bunch of folks as well.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2016, 1:22 AM

That survey got a lot of play on the local news tonight for some reason. Up until now, pro soccer in Austin has been pretty much ignored by the local media.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2016, 10:23 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximusx1 View Post
Thank you for sharing. That felt good to fill out.

I suggested a stadium location along the river near Austin High School and the YMCA. Easy access to Mopac and downtown residents could walk there. Put parking garage along the railroad and help develop the 5th Street/Pressler area. As a concert venue it would have both the river and downtown as an amazing backdrop.

I also suggested a 'pitch owners club' like the small teams in England or the Green Bay Packers.
This This This This and This.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2016, 12:33 PM
World Traveler

^ Just a guess, but I think wwmiv likes the idea.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2016, 10:04 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
The only place that I would prefer is here:

http://imgur.com/a/Gt6iY

This industrial area should be redeveloped as a vibrant dense urban mixed use employment core with buildings mostly in the 4-20 story range. Doing so will change commuting patterns regionally, and relatively shift traffic away from MoPac and 35 and toward 183 and 130, which will be easy access points for this new core. That effect is a positive one regionally. Putting a stadium here, if you could find a few private developers to build adjacent simultaneously, would jump start urban development.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2016, 12:33 AM
PrimaPix Visuals

Quote:
The only place that I would prefer is here:

http://imgur.com/a/Gt6iY

This industrial area should be redeveloped as a vibrant dense urban mixed use employment core with buildings mostly in the 4-20 story range. Doing so will change commuting patterns regionally, and relatively shift traffic away from MoPac and 35 and toward 183 and 130, which will be easy access points for this new core. That effect is a positive one regionally. Putting a stadium here, if you could find a few private developers to build adjacent simultaneously, would jump start urban development.
I actually like this idea. Still centrally located and close to downtown, yet takes away extra congestion from 35 and MoPac. Once the construction on 183 is done between 71 and 290, it would be a smooth drive as well.

Plus, a Domain type development in that area would be huge for east Austin.

Now that I mention the Domain, that would be another great area for a stadium.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2016, 2:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabetx View Post
I actually like this idea. Still centrally located and close to downtown, yet takes away extra congestion from 35 and MoPac. Once the construction on 183 is done between 71 and 290, it would be a smooth drive as well.

Plus, a Domain type development in that area would be huge for east Austin.

Now that I mention the Domain, that would be another great area for a stadium.
I think it would never come to pass if it were structures as a Domain type development, where its focused on the upper middle class and wealthy-types. Austin isn't yet a big enough market for a second Domain, but it definitely is big enough for multiple additional urban cores and corridors if they focus on different socioeconomic groups. We've already got the traditional downtown and our university plus its urban neighborhood, typical for towns our size. Those are both, at this point, fully realized urban cores that are still undergoing rapid expansion. We've also got multiple other urban cores that are developing: Mueller for the yuppie urbanists, the Domain for the upper middle class faux urbanism, but will eventually mold itself into something like a smaller Buckhead, East Riverside of young techies, etc.

major urban cores: (1) Downtown, (2) West Campus / UT
emerging major urban cores: (1) Mueller, (2) the Domain, (3) East Riverside
potential major urban cores: (1) St. Elmo, (2) Texas State University / Downtown San Marcos
emerging minor urban cores (1) Downtown Round Rock, (2) Downtown Georgetown, (3) Highland, (4) Plaza Saltillo / E. 5th/6th corridors.

What geographic region is missing from that list? East Austin. And this happens to be the most strategically located piece for both localized and regional benefit to begin to urbanize. In fact, this might be the place where Austin is able to help put a dent in the desire for more affordable urban housing. That would play well.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2017, 6:43 PM

http://www.mystatesman.com/sports/au...tHhFVhOrGK4PO/

Quote:
While Austin soccer fans were encouraged by an MLS survey making the rounds here, Major League Soccer revealed a long-range expansion plan Thursday that made no mention of Austin.

San Antonio was one of 10 cities named as possibilities for four openings down the road, but St. Louis, Sacramento and perhaps San Diego are considered the favorites for the next two spots.

Also on the list: Charlotte, Detroit, Nashville, Raleigh/Durham, San Diego and Tampa/St. Petersburg.
We're out.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2017, 11:42 PM
Member since 2001

Quote:

That's what you get when there is NO movement toward a proposed stadium.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2017, 4:53 PM

potentially the start of bigger things?

http://www.statesman.com/sports/socc...kB1t6Loz0vLbK/

Old Posted Mar 2, 2017, 5:43 PM
クラブトクヨ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post

Nice! I hope so!

Old Posted Mar 21, 2017, 11:25 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

Apparently Austin just barely missed out on hosting Manchester United vs. Manchester City this summer. I'm waiting for a link to pop up. A friend was watching a live feed.

It came down to Austin and San Diego. It's part of some International Cup preseason tour of the U.S.

Nashville got a game.

EDIT: Ok, to clarify, they have not announced the location of the game. It'll be July 20. Rumor has it between SD and Austin. I read somewhere the official announcement could be Friday.

I'm not a soccer fan, but this would be the first time ever these two Manchester clubs play each other outside of England, I believe.

Last edited by lzppjb; Mar 22, 2017 at 12:16 AM.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2017, 12:24 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post

From the updated article.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin