HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Jul 28, 2007, 11:50 PM

JERSEY CITY | 70-90 Columbus | 525 FT | 50 + 50 + 14 FLOORS

70-90 Columbus are part of 50 Columbus Plaza which is currently under construction. 70 and 90 Columbus are to start construction in 2008 both towers will be 48 stories.

Here are some pictures of 50 Columbus Plaza which is almost complete.

The mid-rise section extending west from the main tower has a mini glass tower on the end now

Looking east down Columbus Drive, the Trump Tower rises in the background

Looking west down Columbus Drive with Grove Point in the background

Old Posted Jul 29, 2007, 7:06 PM

Exciting project, will add some nice density density and dimension to Jersey City's skyline, being located more inland than most highrises in the city. Anyone know whether there will be retail at street level?

Old Posted Jul 30, 2007, 5:42 PM

Sort of remind me of the twin Trump towers being built in Jersey

Old Posted Jul 31, 2007, 5:53 AM

I've read that JC has over 16 msf of office space already. That is already larger than many well known cities in the USA in terms of office space, such as San Diego, Cincinnati, St. Louis, etc. That is a pretty significant build up. However, it is hard to see Jersey City as a city by itself, as it functions as an extesion of Manhattan. In fact, all this development would probably have never occurred on its own w/o Manhattan next to it.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2007, 7:14 PM

Two 48-story buildings a go

Planning Board demands dog run for phase II of Columbus Towers

Ricardo Kaulessar -- Hudson Reporter -- 08/03/2007

The Jersey City Planning Board approved the second phase of 50 Columbus Drive at their meeting on July 24. While the first phase, a 35-story tower, is near completion, the second phase will include two 48-story towers and a hotel.

The project, also known as Columbus Towers, is located on a long stretch of Christopher Columbus Drive between Marin Boulevard and Warren Street, in the Exchange Place area.

The site is being developed by PKG Associates, a company operated by local attorney and builder Joseph Panepinto in partnership with Hoboken-based Applied Companies.

Upon completion, 50 Columbus Drive's three towers will house 942 rental units, a 144-room hotel, 1120 parking spaces, and over 12,000 square feet of ground floor retail.

The first phase of the project, a 35-story tower with 392 units and 804 parking spaces, is near completion. Rentals are scheduled to start this month.

The second phase will be two 48-story towers with a total of 550 units, the hotel, retail and 316 parking spaces.

The board voted unanimously (7-0) to allow the rest of the project to go forward, but added some conditions, including creating access to the nearby Marin Boulevard entrance to the PATH and ensuring a dog run is built at the 50 Columbus site.

Where's the dog run?

At the meeting, several representatives for the project made a presentation of the 50 Columbus preliminary site plan to the Planning Board.

A preliminary site plan is used for new construction and additions located on land zoned for commercial and residential use. Any project built in a redevelopment area, as is the case with 50 Columbus Drive (in Exchange Place North), usually gets first approval and later comes back in front of the board for final approval.

After the presentation, the board approved the project with six conditions that have to be met by the developers.

Among them was putting in a dog run.

Board Commissioner Roseanne Petruzelli pointed out there was no place within the site plan for a dog run. Board Chairman Michael Ryan said there is supposed to be at least one dog run on the premises.

At the meeting, the developers' attorney Nevis McCann claimed 50 Columbus will be "pet friendly," when asked whether or not pets will be allowed.

But McCann said there was no room for dog run.

"The dogs will have to walk the streets like everyone else," he said. And another of the developers' attorneys, Francis Schiller, said a surface parking lot designed for the second phase of the project would be built in the location where the dog run was to be placed.

But the developers' representatives later agreed they will look for space on the site for a dog run.

Also, the board insisted upon an entrance from the lobby of the hotel that will allow guests and residents of 50 Columbus to gain easier access to the Exchange Place PATH station.

Ricardo Kaulessar can be reached at rkaulessar@hudsonreporter.com

Old Posted Aug 21, 2012, 3:40 PM

Blast from the past!

Kaufman Infects Jersey City

70 Columbus is set to rise in Q1 2013.

Photo of the new project from The Real Deal, with an unfortunate cameo...

Old Posted Aug 21, 2012, 7:20 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

Why am I not surprised that Gene Kaufman's hairstyle (if you can call it a "style") looks almost as bad as his buildings?
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Feb 1, 2013, 12:06 AM
New Yorker for life

http://therealdeal.com/blog/2013/01/...-construction/

Massive Jersey City mixed-use project set to begin construction in the spring

January 31, 2013
By Guelda Voien

Quote:
Construction will begin in the next two months at a long-stalled 1.2 million-square-foot mixed-use project in Jersey City, the architect for the project told The Real Deal today. The two 50-story towers, designed by Gwathmey Siegel Kaufman + Associates Architects, were approved by the Jersey City Municipal Council and Planning Board in December, clearing the way for the massive project to move ahead, according to Gene Kaufman, owner of GSKA.

The development will bring 150 hotel rooms and 1,000 rental apartments to 70 and 90 Columbus Street, in the downtown Jersey City area.

The $350 million project should break ground in the next few months, told The Real Deal, with construction on the first tower, at 70 Columbus Street, slated to be complete in 2015.

http://blog.archpaper.com/wordpress/archives/54114

Twin 50-Story Towers Will Join Jersey City Skyline

January 31, 2013
Nicole Anderson

Quote:
After a nearly five-year delay, a $350 million mixed-use development in Jersey City is slated to break ground in the next few months. The Real Deal reports that the Jersey City Municipal Council and Planning Board approved plans back in December. Gwathmey Siegel Kaufman + Associates Architects will design the two 50-story towers at 70 and 90 Columbus Street. The 1.2 million-square-foot development, a joint venture by Ironstate Development and Panepinto Properties, will consist of a 150-room hotel and approximately 1,000 rental apartments in addition to retail space.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2013, 10:10 PM

Which set of twins is it that's going up?

Old Posted Feb 2, 2013, 2:15 AM
BANNED

I hate Kaufmanns work. Jersey city deserves better this.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2013, 6:18 PM

This neighborhood is going to be a giant construction zone soon enough. There are a number of sites nearby that have started construction or look like they're about to.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2013, 6:28 PM
Selfie-stick vendor

1000 units..amazing. Isn't the nordstrom tower (1550 feet) only 180 units?

Old Posted Feb 3, 2013, 7:28 PM
World Machine

Love to see the JC skyline growing!

Old Posted Feb 3, 2013, 8:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
I hate Kaufmanns work. Jersey city deserves better this.
I had a thread on Reddit about Kaufman's stuff in Midtown and the reaction was surprisingly mixed. Some were angry about the writing, saying he's just doing his job etc--he is literally defacing Manhattan one building at a time. At least this project in JC isn't as terrible as most of his work, and the overall JC skyline is shlock anyways.

Though there are several major projects proposed/underway in JC, I wonder how much DoBro and LIC will be able to catch up in the next decade. The residential boom in Brooklyn shows no signs of stopping and I think it's actually the kind that will be quite enduring, as the new housing actually isn't horribly expensive like it is in Manhattan, showing that the demand for new residential space in DoBro is legitimately enormous.

The Journal Square project & Urban City Living will give JC relatively iconic (and certainly very large) buildings. I hope JC can emulate Kowloon.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2013, 6:52 PM
Homo sapiens sapiens

Under Construction!

All photo credit to: tbal @ WNY

As of December 1st, 2013...

View to the north from Columbus:

Looking west toward Grove Pointe:

Looking east with Marbella, the Athena, Trump I, and 50 Columbus in the background:

~ My Stamford, CT Thread ~~ My Danbury, CT Thread ~

Last edited by Hypothalamus; Mar 7, 2014 at 11:50 PM.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2013, 8:24 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

Moved to the under construction sub-forum. Looks like 70 Columbus is definitely under construction, but hard to tell if 90 is too. Anyone on the ground in Jersey City to confirm that both towers are being built now, or if this is a phased effort?
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Mar 7, 2014, 11:55 PM
Homo sapiens sapiens

As of March 5th, 2014...

©Brandon Nagle on UvM

©Brandon Nagle on UvM

©Brandon Nagle on UvM

Last edited by Hypothalamus; Mar 8, 2014 at 12:07 AM.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2014, 12:14 AM

I'm really liking the base of this building. It meets the street well. That's more than i can say about Newport and a lot of other highrises in JC

Old Posted Apr 15, 2014, 3:58 PM
Homo sapiens sapiens

Posted April 13th, 2014...
Photo Credit: tbal at WNY

_

_

©tbal

As of April 14th, 2014...

202 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

Last edited by Hypothalamus; Apr 15, 2014 at 4:36 PM.

Old Posted May 6, 2014, 9:09 PM
Homo sapiens sapiens

As of May 5th, 2014...
Photo Credit: Brandon Nagle of UvM

©Brandon Nagle

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive