HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Mar 1, 2008, 12:22 AM
Bring out the cranes...

Here's all the photos. LOL

City Creek Center Leap Day Update
Feb. 29, 2008

Might not be much of a update since T-Mac posted some pics last night. LOL, But here goes...

Crews working on the base of Tower One.

Yellow Crane Almost as tall as Key Bank Tower!

View of the Cranes from South Temple looking East.

More of the Red Crane on it's way to CCC!
I wounder where this is going? LOL

This is where the Red Crane is going.
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Old Posted Mar 1, 2008, 3:00 PM

Salt Lake City - Northern Metro - Clearfield - Midtown Village

courtesy of Rob Storey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viperlord View Post
kinda in the area...

Standard Examiner

Old Posted Mar 1, 2008, 5:32 PM

City Creek - Downtownrising.com Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viperlord View Post

Old Posted Mar 2, 2008, 2:30 PM

jupiter images
Downtown Salt Lake City - Matheson Courthouse Building

The Matheson Courthouse in Downtown Salt Lake City is the main state courthouse and seat of the Utah State Supreme Court. The multi-level building includes six levels of 37 courtrooms, offices, holding cells, and an additional three-levels of underground parking.

city data.com

Matheson Courthouse

back-side detailing

Pics by Kevin Delaney

Washington Square Gardens and City Hall, which occupies a 10-acre block directly east, across the street

Illuminated by evening

decorative ceiling of courthouse rotunda/gold leaf, metal leaf and pigment by Daniel Peterson

Utah Arts Council

Statue by Kraig Varner at Entry of Courthouse Namesake, "Scott M. Matheson."

Utah Arts Council

Last edited by delts145; Mar 3, 2008 at 12:51 AM.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2008, 6:17 PM
Bring out the cranes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post

jupiter images
Downtown Salt Lake City - Matheson Courthouse Building - Recently Completed
Recently Completed? Like 10 years ago. LOL. But it is a very nice building. I just hate having to go there.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2008, 1:02 AM

Rundown Update - City Creek - By Viperlord

Old Posted Mar 3, 2008, 2:04 PM

Salt Lake City - Metro - Sandy - Centennial Park Plaza, another TOD

Typical neigborhood views in Sandy

Joseph Scott

SLC Projects

J. Ballard Homes

J. Ballard Homes

J. Ballard Homes

J. Ballard Homes

J. Ballard Homes

Last edited by delts145; Mar 3, 2008 at 2:19 PM.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2008, 12:59 AM

Ogden, Northern Metro Hub - historic 25th street

umedesigns
Salt Lake City's Northern Metro - Downtown Ogden - The Junction, Under Construction

The Earnshaw Building , a six-story building, is under construction directly north of the recreation center and will house retail uses on the first level, with condominiums and parking on the remaining five levels. It will consist of retail space on the first floor which will include a grocery store and deli. The second floor will consist of office space and secured parking while floors three through six will be luxury condominiums. Some of the highlighted features include large decks overlooking the temple and towards the mountains. There will also be offering a membership to the new recreation building which will also be under construction.

loopnet

loopnet

loopnet

loopnet

loopnet

Last edited by delts145; Mar 4, 2008 at 1:19 AM.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2008, 1:45 AM

City Creek Center Architecture

Now that construction has started on a least one of the City Creek Center Towers, how do the readers of this thread feel about the architecture we are seeing? Is there a theme? Should there be a theme? Because of the size and location of the project, 3 entire blocks immediately adjacent to the LDS Temple Square, the historic Joseph Smith office building (formerly the Hotel Utah), and other significant landmarks in Salt Lake City, it seems like a rare chance to enlarge the footprint of what is quintessentially Utah.

I do think the open space in the City Creek Center is a step in the right direction, as is spreading out the high rises. But that's the problem! The towers in City Creek Center, because of their spacing, are going to be unusually prominent. I would be nice if these towers were dignified and graceful, emulating the surrounding environment. Tower 1 is dignified, but common. Maybe there was some way in the exterior design to give this building a more fluid, optimistic look. Tower 2 is is defined by sharp angles, which are neither dignified nor graceful. My guess is that this tower will become dated fairly fast. The two small towers that frame the entrance to the Crossroads block (I believe they are towers 4 and 5) form a gate to the City Creek Center. Their current designs, with ridgid angles, make the gate foreboding, not inviting nor envigorating.

I guess my biggest concern with the renderings of the towers at City Creek Center is that they all appear to be common. They could be built anywhere. I don't think that is the architecture anyone wants in such a unique location.

I look forward to others' opinions, especially those that can point out the errors in my judgment.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2008, 2:30 AM

RFPCME I agree with you that the buildings in City Creek could be built pretty much anywhere.

I also agree with you on tower 2, its definitely my least favorite of any of them, and will probably be one of the first to come down eventually.

I really dont like the glass on main street, I think they will eventually see that fail. But I think the biggest problem with City Creek and Salt Lake in general is that all the towers are on the edge of the blocks. I think building toward the center of blocks will really help the skyline, it makes things seem more dense.

In general I like towers one and two.

All of the low rise buildings that will line Main seem to mimic the Inn at Temple Square.

I think not having a theme gives downtown more variation. I dont necessarily think City Creek should have much of a theme. It does seem like there are two of them though. The base of the Key Bank Tower is repeated a few times. And Tower 1's style is sorta repeated all over the crossroads block.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2008, 2:53 PM

Downtown Salt Lake City - The Leonardo - Under Development

The Leonardo building (prior to renovation), formerly the main Salt Lake Public Library, from the fountain in Library Square

leonardo.org
The Leonardo

Inspired by Leonardo da Vinci's visionary approach to exploring the world, The Leonardo is a one-of-a-kind art, culture and science center currently under development in the heart of Utah's capital city. Three founding partner organizations, Global Artways, Salt Lake City's arts education program; the Center for Documentary Arts; and the brand new Utah Science Center, have come together to create this new destination for exploration and learning that will be located in the old main library on Library Square. The Leonardo is being funded by private and public funds, including a $10 million general obligation bond approved by Salt Lake City voters in 2003.

Robert Becker Inc.

The Leonardo after renovation - timeline completion 2009. Artist's rendering of plans for The Leonardo shows how banners and light projections will be used.

leonardo.org
The fledgling Leonardo at Library Square is being touted by organizers as the cutting edge in museums, an arts-science-culture amalgam filled to the brim with interactive, constantly changing exhibits.
Associated PressArtist's rendering of plans for The Leonardo shows how banners and light projections will be used. But the biggest showcase of all may be the building itself.
Leonardo executive director Mary Tull, after winning approval for the design from the Salt Lake City Council Thursday, said the plan is to "make the building an exhibit itself."
The Leonardo has finally settled on a seismic retrofitting plan for the building — the former main branch of the city library at the corner of 200 East and 500 South — after scrapping two earlier plans.
The new design calls for four heavy-duty walls inside the building, tucked in the corners so they don't close off the interior atrium. It comes in at $13 million and changes nothing on the outside of the building.
So instead of changing the look of the exterior, organizers will change its use.
The concrete panels on the building's north, viewed from Library Square, will become canvases, covered in banners, light projections and other visually dramatic displays.
From the south, passers-by on 500 South will gaze through the large glass windows at artists participating in the museum's workshops and classes.
And as visitors enter the building, an evaporative tower will give the building functional, energy-efficient cooling while showcasing the science behind sustainable practices — as well as the cultural elements of environmental consciousness and some artistic flourishes to boot.
Inside, exhibits will vary from displays of Utah's history and cultures to the latest traveling shows. Tull suggested the Leonardo could one day host such exhibits as Bodies ... The Exhibition, a controversial showcase of real human bodies preserved to show how they work inside and out.
"We're developing a whole new model in the museum world," Tull said.
The new design allows for the addition of a north wing in the future when money becomes available, but it would be entirely for expansion as it is no longer needed for seismic stability.
The Leonardo is also being funded by a $10 million voter-approved bond and $10 million more in private donations, which will go toward programming rather than the building renovations.
And a new Web site, www.theleonardo.org, will become operational first thing this morning.

Last edited by delts145; Mar 4, 2008 at 4:23 PM.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2008, 5:54 PM
Bring out the cranes...

I agree with you guys. Tower 2 is also my least favorite. It's just boxy and all glass. However I bet it would look cool at night being all lit up. Also I wish it was a little bit taller. It doesn't have to be 32-stories like it was first planned, but it should be at least 20-stories. I really-really-really like Tower 1. That tower will make a nice impact on Salt Lake's skyline.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2008, 7:53 PM

^^^

You'll get no argument from me on Tower 1 Projects. I really like that tower also. I'm kind of wondering about Tower 2 though. You know, I actually think I'm going to like the actual tower when its built. I get the feeling that in a rendering it does not translate as well as it will in actuality. I'll say one thing, "the residents are not going to lack for windows and sunlight." I definately wish they would have added another 20 floors.

You're right, I think it's going to look pretty cool at night.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2008, 4:42 AM

Downtown - One and Nine Update - Today by T-Mac

T-Mac

one and nine

Old Posted Mar 5, 2008, 4:57 AM

Downtown - Broadway Park Lofts - Updates Today by T-Mac

Broadway Park Lofts - Concrete pouring today

by T-Mac

Rendering of Broadway Park Lofts

allen millo

Last edited by delts145; Mar 5, 2008 at 6:15 AM.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2008, 6:59 AM
Bring out the cranes...

Wasatch Front Highrise Possibilities!
I draw up the Wasatch Front's skyline and what it COULD look like driving down the I-15 in about 10 years from now.

Salt Lake City to Provo

Salt Lake City
I added all the new towers at CCC plus 222 South Main and Wasatch Partner Towers

South Salt Lake
I added the Market Station Tower and other midrise buildings around it.

Murray
There is the IHC campus, plus I added the Three proposed Highrise office towers.

Sandy
We got RSL stadium, Jordan commons, plus I added a few plan highrises near city hall.

Lehi
I added the Frank Grehy Project with the 45-story hotel, plus other buildings next to that.

Pleasant Grove
I added the Tow highrise hotels that are plan for the area.

Provo
I added the Z.B.F.C., U.T. and Nuskin tower that are all plan.

I'm sure not ALL of this towers will get built, some of them could only be pipe dreams, but i'm hoping we could get MOST of them. What do you guys think? Not bad huh?

Old Posted Mar 5, 2008, 2:08 PM

downtownrising.com
Downtown - 222 South Main Updates by T-Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Mac View Post
Here are my photos from very early this morning.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2008, 4:36 PM

Bridges at Citifront

Downtown Updates on Bridges at Citifront

by T-Mac

Old Posted Mar 5, 2008, 9:00 PM

Downtown - Update of Kennedy Town Center Condos by T-Mac

Old Posted Mar 6, 2008, 12:04 AM

Downtown Update of City Creek Center - by T-Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Mac View Post
Here are my photos from very early this morning.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations