HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Closed Thread

Old Posted Apr 7, 2017, 4:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
And yes, concrete is terrible for driving. I hated driving on the I-5 because of that. Incredibly irritating and loud ride.
I gotta say that the new stuff they put down with the ties between sections is pretty good. I don't know what it's going to be like when it ages, but it ages a lot slower than the asphalt does. The downside is that its a lot more expensive to repair, so they tend to let it get pretty bad before fixing it.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2017, 4:39 PM
Dahvie Fan

If you're only judging concrete highways by the surface of I-5 in whatcom county then I don't know what to tell you.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2017, 4:44 PM
Dahvie Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
I am getting suspicious of some of these new accounts...

The tone / demands are far too similar to some existing members...

In fact today on the Canadian Highway thread Libtard posted a picture about using concrete on highways (one of his many obsessions)... and now this guy with two posts says the exact same thing..........
It's not too far fetched for 2 people to have the same opinions. I love
how paranoid you are though. Do you wake up at night in a cold sweat from having nightmares about me?

Old Posted Apr 7, 2017, 5:01 PM

Concrete interstate highways were newly built on I-70 east of Denver all the way to Kansas - drove on that a couple of times, and the sound and smoothness of going 90 mph on that thing was awesome...I've seen quite a few built out there - not sure if it's due to the extreme heat in summer and winter conditions with snow and all that, as well as tornado issues, but they do look and feel durable and when new. Also in Montreal, they had resurfaced their Auto route 40 about 10 years ago to the concrete spec - could be due to high traffic usage and the cold weather wreaking havoc on asphalt.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2017, 6:10 PM

I wouldn't be too surprised if a few folks from the past have happened to circumvent their bans... Thankfully, they reveal themselves rather easily by espousing the same rhetoric that they used to say on their old accounts.

But, in the off chance that people are just new here: some folks have been BANNED in the past for repeatedly complaining about BC highway standards to the tiniest detail... and I mean things like
- concrete vs asphalt surfaces
- cast-in-place vs modular jersey barriers
- shoulder widths
- paint markings
- bridge railings
- etc.

Discussing any of these in a Vancouver transportation project or discussion thread is considered off-topic and also spamming, and is generally not tolerated after repeat acts. Thank you.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2017, 8:08 PM

Most highways in Europe (at-least in Germany/Czechia/Austria etc. are concrete. Concrete is superior and lasts longer. Of-course though as it approaches its end of life the surface may end up with some issues, at-least the old highways have (not sure about modern techniques).

Asphalt however is cheaper. Personally I would love for them to do proper concrete. It is better and for the next couple decades you would have a smooth perfect surface that needs hardly any maintenance.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2017, 11:12 PM
loafing in lotusland

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornholio View Post
Asphalt however is cheaper. Personally I would love for them to do proper concrete. It is better and for the next couple decades you would have a smooth perfect surface that needs hardly any maintenance.
And better adapts to cold weather.

And is quieter.... sooo much quieter.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2017, 2:13 AM
perhaps . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornholio View Post
Most highways in Europe (at-least in Germany/Czechia/Austria etc. are concrete. Concrete is superior and lasts longer. Of-course though as it approaches its end of life the surface may end up with some issues, at-least the old highways have (not sure about modern techniques).

I've been driving the freeways in southern Germany and Austria a lot this past year - my experience has been the opposite. The new highways, built and being built, around Vienna are asphalt. The highways from Frankfurt through Munich and on to Vienna are mostly asphalt. I have passed construction zones near Innsbruck, Munich, Dresden, and in Vienna itself, where concrete highways were being covered with asphalt.

In the past, I have driven on interstates in Michigan, Minnesota and the plains, in which the concrete was so rough and cracked from weathering I was shocked. No matter how smooth you get the surface, the expansion control joints are natural breakdown mechanisms . . . ka thunk, ka thunk, ka thunk . . .

Old Posted Apr 8, 2017, 7:40 PM
Dahvie Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshal View Post
I've been driving the freeways in southern Germany and Austria a lot this past year - my experience has been the opposite. The new highways, built and being built, around Vienna are asphalt. The highways from Frankfurt through Munich and on to Vienna are mostly asphalt. I have passed construction zones near Innsbruck, Munich, Dresden, and in Vienna itself, where concrete highways were being covered with asphalt.

In the past, I have driven on interstates in Michigan, Minnesota and the plains, in which the concrete was so rough and cracked from weathering I was shocked. No matter how smooth you get the surface, the expansion control joints are natural breakdown mechanisms . . . ka thunk, ka thunk, ka thunk . . .
I think we can all use anecdotal evidence against both concrete and asphalt highways that we have driven on that were in shocking condition. But in terms of smoothness and a quiet ride nothing is better then a freshly diamond grinded new concrete highway

Old Posted Apr 8, 2017, 11:59 PM
YouTube Creator

[Deleted]

Last edited by Reecemartin; Nov 17, 2020 at 9:33 PM.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2017, 4:04 AM
perhaps . . .

diamond ground highway on a roadbed of crushed marble and poured-in-place barriers honed like counter-top

"freshly diamond grinded (sp) new concrete highway" virtually does not exist: diamond grinding is expensive and is used in roadwork primarily as a means to fix excessively rough or uneven surfaces - like they do with heaving sidewalks. Under most circumstances, a new concrete road would never be ground for the sake of a "quiet ride." It also reduces the friction that a surface can generate, so if done over a large area will produce a dangerous road. Diamonds are more likely to be used on rotating blades to cut grooves into a concrete roadway - to deal with water and to increase traction - but, this hardly makes for a quiet ride. Concrete has a number of advantages, but quiet smoothness is not one of them. New concrete highway is indeed smooth and quiet; but it is not possible for it to remain that way. Even properly maintained, the expansion control joints shift, widen, move out of perfect alignment, and degrade slightly. The surface, not being elastic, roughens ever so slightly from temperature degradation. It is in the nature of the material. And if I know anything in the realm of materials science, I know concrete. The result is, as I said before: ka thunk, ka thunk, ka thunk . . .

Last edited by Marshal; Apr 9, 2017 at 4:25 AM.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2017, 5:32 AM
Dahvie Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshal View Post
diamond ground highway on a roadbed of crushed marble and poured-in-place barriers honed like counter-top

"freshly diamond grinded (sp) new concrete highway" virtually does not exist: diamond grinding is expensive and is used in roadwork primarily as a means to fix excessively rough or uneven surfaces - like they do with heaving sidewalks. Under most circumstances, a new concrete road would never be ground for the sake of a "quiet ride." It also reduces the friction that a surface can generate, so if done over a large area will produce a dangerous road. Diamonds are more likely to be used on rotating blades to cut grooves into a concrete roadway - to deal with water and to increase traction - but, this hardly makes for a quiet ride. Concrete has a number of advantages, but quiet smoothness is not one of them. New concrete highway is indeed smooth and quiet; but it is not possible for it to remain that way. Even properly maintained, the expansion control joints shift, widen, move out of perfect alignment, and degrade slightly. The surface, not being elastic, roughens ever so slightly from temperature degradation. It is in the nature of the material. And if I know anything in the realm of materials science, I know concrete. The result is, as I said before: ka thunk, ka thunk, ka thunk . . .
A wall of text isn't going to make what you say right Diamond grinding new concrete highways definitely does exist, they did it for the newly realigned Snoqualmie Pass in Washington State

Trust me it wasn't making any ka-thunk sound.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2017, 3:41 AM
perhaps . . .

I never said they never do it: that image looks like they put grooves in it to improve traction over the pass . . . show me 200 miles of it.
And, like I said, it will "ka thunk" in a year or two.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2017, 8:26 AM

I don't know about ka-thunk, but concrete roadways always sound like shifting sand. It's like a consistent scratching noise.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2017, 3:16 PM
Can I has a tunnel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobert View Post
I don't know about ka-thunk, but concrete roadways always sound like shifting sand. It's like a consistent scratching noise.
The kathunk sound is from when the roadways settle unevenly and the concrete panels come out of horizontal alignment.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2017, 3:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Mackinnon View Post
The kathunk sound is from when the roadways settle unevenly and the concrete panels come out of horizontal alignment.
That's what those tie strips on the I-5 near Bellingham seem to eliminate - that's the smoothest-driving stretch of concrete highway I've ever been on.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2017, 5:33 PM

Hate to break the concrete conversation, but they started clearing trees on the north of Hwy1 for the west bound off ramp.

Here is the latest update: http://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/dri...2017-final.pdf

Last edited by dharper; Apr 10, 2017 at 10:34 PM.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2017, 2:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsparrow View Post
Just announced: Province commits millions to Hwy 1 Expansion. Proposed to build 6 lanes from 216th to 264th with replacement of 232nd overpass and Glover Road overpass.
They have already put up signs on both ends of the upcoming six-lane section. It being election year and all, the signs mention 700 jobs and completion on 2022. Still a long way out, it seems...

Old Posted Jul 30, 2017, 4:55 AM

site clearing has happened the past couple of weeks.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 6:43 PM

It is quicker for me to drive through Langley, than take Hwy 1, between 200 and 232(In the daytime), because the lookee lous at 216 drag the speed of traffic down to 60km/h. Or putt putt slow at the 200 eastbound onramp.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure