HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Nov 17, 2007, 11:22 PM
City of Blinding Lights

Wow Very impressive! looks like they just need to get some final grading and paving in there! Nice shots! Thanks for taking those.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2007, 6:19 AM
Home of Hyperchange

It's funny how it looks like everything's just gonna come together nicely sometime towards the end of next year. From watching the positively glacial progress on Stoney/Country Hills, you'd think this was a 5 year project. What's weirder is there have been crews out working on that overpass 7 days a week, often at night too. For over 2 years now. The rest are moving damned fast by comparison, almost like playing catch-up.

Ah well, I for one can't WAIT to take a drive on Deerfoot West!

Semi-related, is the city doing some lane expansion on John Laurie? There was a heck of a lot of activity just east of Shaganappi today, on the south side. Speaking of intersections that desperately need an interchange...

Old Posted Nov 18, 2007, 6:25 AM

On John Laurie not that I know of. I do know that they are working on Shaganappi at Country Hills, the intersection is being redone completely as they are widening Shaganappi to 5 lanes (3S, 2N), and Country Hills to 6. They are also doing similar work at Beddington, though that one will feature a full interchange (and should be starting on that soon, the detour road was supposed to be ready end of this month)

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Old Posted Nov 18, 2007, 6:22 PM

The detour intersection at beddington and country hills blvd opened last week. The temp intersection is about 100m to the west, they knocked that out pretty fast.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2007, 7:26 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
OK people, listen up. For the love of God, why on earth do people insist on driving 50km/h in the left lane of Stoney Trail just because a skiff of snow fell overhight!!! If you are going to drive like that move the hell over into the right lane and quit holding up the other few hundred vehicles that are stacked up behind you. The road was bare and wet this morning (not slippery at all) yet a few morons insisted on driving 20-30 under the speed limit because they were too scared to go faster and too stupid to move over.

And no, I didn't want to fly past them at 100 either, I just wanted to move along at a decent yet safe speed.

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Nov 21, 2007, 7:49 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubicon View Post
OK people, listen up. For the love of God, why on earth do people insist on driving 50km/h in the left lane of Stoney Trail just because a skiff of snow fell overhight!!! If you are going to drive like that move the hell over into the right lane and quit holding up the other few hundred vehicles that are stacked up behind you. The road was bare and wet this morning (not slippery at all) yet a few morons insisted on driving 20-30 under the speed limit because they were too scared to go faster and too stupid to move over.

And no, I didn't want to fly past them at 100 either, I just wanted to move along at a decent yet safe speed.
Not sure what part of Stoney you were on, but north of Crowchild it's a very poorly-signed construction zone. South of that, I'm with you. As of this morning the roads were fine.

Those of us out driving on the skating rink last night, mind you, might be remembering a little different and being extra cautious. Hooray for hills!

Old Posted Nov 21, 2007, 7:54 PM
Unsafe at Any Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
Not sure what part of Stoney you were on, but north of Crowchild it's a very poorly-signed construction zone. South of that, I'm with you. As of this morning the roads were fine.

Those of us out driving on the skating rink last night, mind you, might be remembering a little different and being extra cautious. Hooray for hills!
Well, of course, given that even on a clear day driving with my wife is like hearing the extended remix of The Rodeo Song, I count myself lucky that she was on the road solo last night....

Always pleased to serve my growing clientele.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2007, 8:35 PM
Suburban dweller

Quote:
South of Crowchild, and heading southbound towards the #1.

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Nov 23, 2007, 5:41 AM
Editor

Nice shots guys.

I feel rather dumb after looking at those. I thought the northeast portion of the ring road was going to meet up with hwy 1 around the Chestermere area. I didn't know it was going right past the eastern edge of the city.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2007, 4:41 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Ah, the bizarreness of Calgary.

Saw a sign yesterday: public information meeting on the Stoney Trail pedestrian overpass.

Near as I can tell, there's a plan to build a pedestrian overpass that crosses Stoney north of Crowchild, between Royal Oak and Arbour Lake. I've seen this sort of thing before (across Sarcee, for instance), and always think "hey, a bridge to nowhere!".

I guess this is an attempt to link suburban communities. I just never actually see anyone using them, because, well, it's just a way to walk from one random suburban street to another.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2007, 5:12 PM

Quote:

Saw a sign yesterday: public information meeting on the Stoney Trail pedestrian overpass.

Near as I can tell, there's a plan to build a pedestrian overpass that crosses Stoney north of Crowchild, between Royal Oak and Arbour Lake. I've seen this sort of thing before (across Sarcee, for instance), and always think "hey, a bridge to nowhere!".

I guess this is an attempt to link suburban communities. I just never actually see anyone using them, because, well, it's just a way to walk from one random suburban street to another.
I couldn't agree more!

I drive under the pedestrian overpass on Sarcee between 17 Ave. and Richmond Road almost everyday, and I don't think I've ever seen anybody walking across it. Why provide a pass to link two communities where everybody drives?

Old Posted Nov 23, 2007, 5:26 PM
Construction Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubwayRev View Post
I couldn't agree more!

I drive under the pedestrian overpass on Sarcee between 17 Ave. and Richmond Road almost everyday, and I don't think I've ever seen anybody walking across it. Why provide a pass to link two communities where everybody drives?
The pedestrian overpass that always gets me is the one over 16th Ave at 19th Street NE. It's easier just to walk across the crosswalk at the intersection. I've never seen someone going over that one.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2007, 7:35 PM
Suburban dweller

Quote:

There is a sign on Tuscany Blvd regarding the same thing. I assumed it was for a bridge to connect Tuscany to Scenic Acres. maybe they are building more than one.

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Nov 23, 2007, 8:10 PM

The plan called for links between Royal Oak and Arbour lake, and Tuscany and Scenic Acres (though this one I thought would have been integrated into the interchange). The Rocky Ridge to Tuscany one is counted in the LRT station.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2007, 11:31 PM
Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need A Thneed View Post
The pedestrian overpass that always gets me is the one over 16th Ave at 19th Street NE. It's easier just to walk across the crosswalk at the intersection. I've never seen someone going over that one.
It is a dumb setup. I go past there all the time, and there are always people crossing at the lights.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2007, 5:05 AM
Unsafe at Any Speed

Quote:

I think it's just a matter of the people at Roads saying, "We're contractually obliged to provide so many pedestrian crossings per motorway mile, but we're not obliged to make them particularly nice or useful".

Always pleased to serve my growing clientele.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2007, 6:03 AM

This one is actually coming from the Rocky Ridge ASP, it defined an inter-community pathway network that would create a circular loop from Arbour Lake, Royal Oak, Rocky Ridge, Tuscany and Scenic Acres. It also defined a busway that would link Arbour Lake to Royal Oak, I suspect that we may hear them resurrecting that after the interchanges are done, especially with the LRT station going in at Tuscany.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2007, 7:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mersar View Post
This one is actually coming from the Rocky Ridge ASP, it defined an inter-community pathway network that would create a circular loop from Arbour Lake, Royal Oak, Rocky Ridge, Tuscany and Scenic Acres. It also defined a busway that would link Arbour Lake to Royal Oak, I suspect that we may hear them resurrecting that after the interchanges are done, especially with the LRT station going in at Tuscany.
If the overpass is for a bike path, then it may actually be useful, but for pedestrians I can't see it being used at all. As Freeweed said, it's out in the middle of nowhere.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2007, 1:41 AM

Stoney Trail & Deerfoot overpass to see more intense work..
Quote:
Northbound Deerfoot to have lane closures

calgary.ctv.ca

jsh

POSTED AT 10:58 AM Tuesday, December 4
Commuters won’t be happy taking Deerfoot Trail home this week as one northbound lane will be closed for construction detours.

The right-hand lane of northbound Deerfoot Trail will be closed Tuesday and Wednesday between Country Hills Boulevard and Highway 566 otherwise known as the Balzac interchange.

The closure is in effect between 6:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m. each day.

Speed will also be reduced to 80 kilometres per hour through the closure area.

Officials say the closure will accommodate construction of detour lanes, which are part of the Deerfoot Trail-Stoney Trail interchange project.

http://calgary.ctv.ca/servlet/RTGAMA...calgary.ctv.ca

Old Posted Dec 5, 2007, 1:45 AM

And I wonder if anyone actually reads the releases the province puts out before writing stories like this... it is scheduled to be back opened at 3pm, and is closed only during the slower traffic part of the day, so should have little effect on rush hour. If they keep the 80 zone after the lane is reopened (quite likely) it would have some affect, but not that much. Either way, its good to see they are pushing ahead with that interchange even in this weather.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure