HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Sep 1, 2009, 3:51 PM

^ i definitely don't agree. looked unfinished (because it was). now if they had designed something along those lines, i could probably accept it more, but it was pretty easy to see that wasn't part of the design to have a giant exposed concrete column up the back

Old Posted Sep 3, 2009, 4:54 AM
The Moon Rulez! #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by denizen467 View Post
Yes. Because of ADA (and baby stroller?) accessibility I think. I suppose it might have also been thought of as a little more classy for such a landmark.
I wish they would install brink throughout Grant Park in all the gardens. The black top surface looks horrible and cheap..

Old Posted Sep 3, 2009, 2:19 PM
Deerhoof Evangelist

9/2

Last edited by wrab; Sep 3, 2009 at 6:10 PM.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2009, 6:27 PM

Nice shot wrabbit, they seem to be hung up on the last few feet at the top of OMP.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2009, 10:14 PM

Didn't know if anyone noticed, but a lot of the aluminum cladding of OMPE has been removed on both the east and northern face.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2009, 8:31 PM

Smile new update video online

Hello friends and skyscraperfans,

after a while it was time again for a new update for the OMPW and here I present you my lasted video for it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XTMec8cg4Y

Music: Andy Moor & Ashley Wallbridge feat. Meighan Nealon - Faces (Original Mix)

Enjoy

Old Posted Sep 15, 2009, 1:26 PM
dream fast

9-14

Old Posted Sep 16, 2009, 4:44 AM

VEry nice pics. I am loving the Central
Station development

Old Posted Oct 6, 2009, 10:05 PM
Chicagoland Runaway

Taken from today October 6th:

Old Posted Oct 8, 2009, 8:38 AM
TL;DR

Oh sweet, they've started to build the crown!

On a side note, I love how everything is so compressed in that shot. You can't even see the river. Also, this may be one of the only flattering pictures of Vision on State, showing it absolutely dominating the timid little DPII buildings in front of it.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2009, 3:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Oh sweet, they've started to build the crown!

On a side note, I love how everything is so compressed in that shot. You can't even see the river. Also, this may be one of the only flattering pictures of Vision on State, showing it absolutely dominating the timid little DPII buildings in front of it.
For as much as we on the board lampooned Prison on State, it sure would be nice to replace the entirety of DPII with several copies thereof.

That shot taken from the new UIC dorms, right?

Old Posted Oct 11, 2009, 1:05 AM

I'm not sure whats going on with the crown? It looks different than what the renderings originally showed.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2009, 3:02 AM

Smile

great updates in all chicago threads JM I hope the crown isnt finished yet and it will turn out better than it looks now. Also interesting to see what they do on OMP. On one site the core cladding is done, on the front they take down the stripes. Guess they need to fix some problems there.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2009, 3:33 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by andydie View Post
great updates in all chicago threads JM I hope the crown isnt finished yet and it will turn out better than it looks now. Also interesting to see what they do on OMP. On one site the core cladding is done, on the front they take down the stripes. Guess they need to fix some problems there.
I'm pretty sure the crown will be just as it is in the renderings... Remember when we all had doubts about Trump's crown, and then Legacy's? Much of what you see at the crown of many skyscrapers is completely decorative; it often masks something very different underneath. The decorative glass panels and such are usually last in the contractor's list of things to do, since they aren't required to make the building functional.

I'm sure they'll come around in 2 or 3 months and erect some origami-shaped set of glass panels that looks just like P/H's rendering.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2009, 12:03 AM

I asked the

Old Posted Oct 12, 2009, 12:11 AM

Thumbs down Changed crown in omp west

I asked one of the construction managers about the crown and they told me it was changed. I took pictures of the new crown from the top floors of omp east but I do not know how to upload them (sorry but I am almost computer illiterate). It used to look like a swirl and now it is completely streight in the front of the building. I also think that the new crown is of lesser height and this makes the building shorter. I do not know why they did this but I hate the new crown design. It does not complement omp east as well as it did before. Even the color of glass is different in the top when you compare it to the model.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2009, 1:36 AM
Chicagoland Runaway

Angry

Quote:
That shot taken from the new UIC dorms, right?
Yes, that was from the 13th floor of the center-most tower of JST (James Stukel Towers)

Quote:
I asked one of the construction managers about the crown and they told me it was changed.
Excuse the blunt language, but that is complete bullshit. What made this tower so attractive to me was the spiraling crown...not acting as a functional element, I know, but still it added a certain aura to that building that made it jive so well with Museum Park East. The fact that they changed the design - probably to offset construction costs, in all likelihood - just pisses me off to no end. But unfortunately, the developer (as it goes with most architecture) almost always finds a way to ruin a potentially breathtaking structure from reaching its full potential.

Thank the heavens above that this didn't happen similarly to OMP East...

Old Posted Oct 12, 2009, 1:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kippis View Post

What made this tower so attractive to me was the spiraling crown
Exactly. This building is not much without the crown that was proposed. They better be no where near completion with this "new" crown design. Its just a 3 story vertical wall??? What kind of finishing touch is that? Awful if that is how it is

Old Posted Oct 12, 2009, 4:21 AM
TL;DR

Again, I think y'all are overreacting. If Central Station Development Corp. is in fact having financial problems, I'm sure they had P/H change the design so that the spiral could be added at a later date. They haven't skimped on the crowns for any of their buildings so far (a substantial number of high-rises). Why should this one be an exception?

Old Posted Oct 12, 2009, 4:35 AM

Because of the once in a life time economic downturn and and poor sales?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive