HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West

Old Posted Feb 23, 2006, 1:43 AM

If anyone wants to know the latest about the Hollywood/Vine proj, I read this several days ago:

More recently, according to a December CRA report, the agency has obtained L.A. City Council approval for 26 eminent domain seizures on 17 development projects in the last 10 years. Among these: the Staples Center, the Sakura Village project in Little Tokyo, several projects in Hollywood and the “NoHo Commons” project in North Hollywood.

Even now, the CRA may exercise eminent domain actions if a handful of reluctant property owners near Hollywood Boulevard and Vine Street refuse to sell their property to make way for a $326 million mixed-use project that would include a W hotel, 350 apartments, 145 condominiums and 60,000 square feet of retail space. The development consortium includes Foster City-based Legacy Partners, Norwalk, Conn.-based HEI Hospitality LLC and Dallas-based Gatehouse Capital.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2006, 7:31 AM

I'm kind of with the developer on this one. If we can make more effective use of the transit we have (bus/trolley/subway) in the area, that will be a lot less people parking and a lot less people driving drunk. Add in the restaurants during the day time, and Hollywood won't be a ghost town during the daylight hours.

Plus I believe it should be promoted as a great place to bar hop -- a tourist / local attraction. Tax revenues from these clubs are high, I'm betting.

So my view is that instead of it just taking a slice of the pie, it's going to expand the base of customers (if it's done right, of course) and things will be better for all. Increased police presence will also be required to control drunk driving, but the cost will be more than offset by the tax revenues they create.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2006, 8:59 PM
Environmental Sabotage

I think the problem with the retail is that all the local LA folks avoid Hollywood Blvd and would never think to shop there especially the Hollywood Highland complex. A few American Apparel shops have opened recently on the Blvd. but they don't seem to get a lot of interest. Just when the steet becomes busy in the evening with locals going to restaurants and clubs all the retail closes up. Why is it that many retail shops close up for the night around 6:00 or 7:00?

Old Posted Feb 24, 2006, 1:39 AM
übersupermegascraper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dktshb
I think the problem with the retail is that all the local LA folks avoid Hollywood Blvd and would never think to shop there especially the Hollywood Highland complex.
haha, i just came home from hollywood and highland - mmmmh....papa beard's cream puffs.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2006, 2:37 AM

I don't understand why Hollywood can't latch onto projs like these? OK, maybe Penthouse is kind of sleazy, but the hood already has lost ABC to Burbank & a few other show biz offices to SaMo or other burb type locations. IOW, beggars can't be choosers.

Penthouse Building Production Studio in So. Calif.

By Rhett Pardon

GLENDALE, Calif. — Penthouse is building a 50,000-square-foot production studio to help launch its new cable-TV channel, The Penthouse Channel. CEO Marc Bell told XBiz Thursday that the studio will be located in Glendale, Calif., which is 10 minutes away from downtown Los Angeles. “It will be in full production by June,” he said.

Bell wouldn’t elaborate on why Penthouse chose Glendale; however, the city has had Hollywood ties since the early part of the 20th Century and is home to ABC and one of the largest Los Angeles-area production facilities, Glendale Studios. Penthouse plans on producing eight feature-length films a month at the studio, as well as talk shows, celebrity sex reports and specials including "Penthouse Goes to Spring Break."

Movie plots will be based on sex tales submitted by readers to Penthouse’s Forum and Letters columns. Programming also will include inferences to its sex toys and lingerie line. “Sixty percent of the stories in the columns are submitted by women," Bell said.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2006, 2:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksep
haha, i just came home from hollywood and highland - mmmmh....papa beard's cream puffs.
I go to HH all the time... and I had beard papa's last night!

They've really improved that place since it opened. Even up to a year ago there wasn't really much to see/do. It's under new management now, so they've really done some work.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2006, 3:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citywatch
I don't understand why Hollywood can't latch onto projs like these? OK, maybe Penthouse is kind of sleazy, but the hood already has lost ABC to Burbank & a few other show biz offices to SaMo or other burb type locations. IOW, beggars can't be choosers.

Penthouse Building Production Studio in So. Calif.

By Rhett Pardon

GLENDALE, Calif. — Penthouse is building a 50,000-square-foot production studio to help launch its new cable-TV channel, The Penthouse Channel. CEO Marc Bell told XBiz Thursday that the studio will be located in Glendale, Calif., which is 10 minutes away from downtown Los Angeles. “It will be in full production by June,” he said.

Bell wouldn’t elaborate on why Penthouse chose Glendale; however, the city has had Hollywood ties since the early part of the 20th Century and is home to ABC and one of the largest Los Angeles-area production facilities, Glendale Studios. Penthouse plans on producing eight feature-length films a month at the studio, as well as talk shows, celebrity sex reports and specials including "Penthouse Goes to Spring Break."

Movie plots will be based on sex tales submitted by readers to Penthouse’s Forum and Letters columns. Programming also will include inferences to its sex toys and lingerie line. “Sixty percent of the stories in the columns are submitted by women," Bell said.

Oh great. This is one thing I wouldn't mind losing to Canada.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2006, 4:54 AM
übersupermegascraper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocman
Oh great. This is one thing I wouldn't mind losing to Canada.
why???

Old Posted Feb 24, 2006, 5:31 AM
Environmental Sabotage

So good!

Old Posted Feb 24, 2006, 6:18 PM

Los Angeles officials and environmentalists have launched a concerted effort to preserve the iconic view of the Hollywood sign by purchasing a mountaintop above it where developers want to build luxury homes.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...nes-california

Old Posted Feb 24, 2006, 6:30 PM
Peace be with us

This is a scary idea. Cahuenga Peak getting developed and then owned by a few wealthy people? This is how LA let itself get screwed in the past, by having not enough civic pride to keep our landmarks and parks from being sold to private interests.

We sold our mass transit to private companies who promptly tore it down. We have most of our parks as a result of gifts to the city by private interests. I feel LA is regretful of its past now, so I can't imagine we will let it happen again in 2006! Cahuenga Peak is the highest mountain in the eastern Santa Monica range. At the very least, make the development something the public can enjoy such as a planned park, overlook, or some other public use.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2006, 6:39 PM
Sonic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dktshb
So good!

It seems great in my opinion cuz haven't been here.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2006, 6:59 PM
homemoaner

Quote:
why???
won't somebody think of the children!?

Old Posted Feb 24, 2006, 11:18 PM

Quote:
why???
Hollywood could use less industries that exploit and degrade women with low self-esteem and
desperate, naive struggling actresses.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2006, 11:44 PM
homemoaner

You're certainly entitled to your opinion, ocman. But I think you're using a very broad paintbrush to characterize the adult film industry. Or maybe just Penthouse?

Old Posted Feb 25, 2006, 12:14 AM
übersupermegascraper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocman
Hollywood could use less industries that exploit and degrade women with low self-esteem and
desperate, naive struggling actresses.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2006, 1:01 AM
Sonic

Quote:
That's seems weird with what ocman said about Hollywood.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2006, 6:56 PM
Environmental Sabotage

Well the Hillview Apts on Hollywood Blvd are now renting.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2006, 7:27 PM
homemoaner

OMG, I walked by that building the other day on my way back from the Hollywood Farmer's market. Absolutely stunning rehab job considering it was being held together by chain link fence for ten years.

(edit)
found a "before" pic...

Old Posted Feb 25, 2006, 8:50 PM

Regarding someone's comment earlier about locals not shopping at HH, they actually do shop there now. And with more exclusive stores like Neighborhoodies and Virgin Megastore and the new H&M coming, more and more locals will be flocking there to shop. I wish they would open up a department store there next. Plus, it's practically the only REAL shopping area that's accessible by heavy rail, which makes it that much unique. I can also see Famima and Tesco opening along Hollywood Blvd. between Highland and Vine within the next few years.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West