HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 23, 2024, 5:43 PM

Agree with so much of what's being said here.

I am surpised that there's not more kid friendly stuff in malls. Very gradually changing though. I've seen those stuffed animals you can ride on at Woodbine in Etobicoke and Burlington Mall. I rented two of them at the latter and it was $10 each for 12 minutes. And the lady wiped down the handle bars upon return and also just before you take it for a spin.

Like last year, Burlington Mall had the santa train driving around in a loop in one small section of the mall. Not sure if they've done it before that. Kids find these things very hard to resist.

I like that I live 5 minutes from Oakville Place. The mall is near full occupancy, has tonnes of natural light and does not attract the riff raff you would get at Eaton Centre, Square One, Yorkdale, etc. There just isn't enough desired stores for young people, so it works out for the older demographic and those with young kids. However, there isn't a tonne to do for kids other than coin op rides and sports car buggies to sit in. But that's like most malls.

The power centre at Burloak and QEW has had declining occupancy for years now. Moreso than the average GTA power centre. I can't really explain why other than it just might be excess retail. They now rent out units to tenants they never would have imagined renting to before. Like indoor golf simulator or the bins store where they have organized liquidation stuff but also random shit in bins where the pricing is different each day of the week. Wednesday for example is 3 for $5. That's the kind of store you find at some old industrial building that is just waiting to be bought out, demolished and redeveloped. There is also now gym for Burlington Gynmastics Club. Those usually would be found in a light industrial plaza, not at a big box plaza.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2024, 2:52 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by megadude View Post
The power centre at Burloak and QEW has had declining occupancy for years now. Moreso than the average GTA power centre. I can't really explain why other than it just might be excess retail. They now rent out units to tenants they never would have imagined renting to before. Like indoor golf simulator or the bins store where they have organized liquidation stuff but also random shit in bins where the pricing is different each day of the week. Wednesday for example is 3 for $5. That's the kind of store you find at some old industrial building that is just waiting to be bought out, demolished and redeveloped. There is also now gym for Burlington Gynmastics Club. Those usually would be found in a light industrial plaza, not at a big box plaza.
Excess retail in the broader area, and it's in a no-man's land surrounded by industry with limited access to a single major street. I doubt many people go by and think "hey, I need to stop at X" and then drive into the complex (the theatres are the most visible thing from Burloak Drive). The long-planned Wyecroft Road extension would help it a lot, never mind improving the road network in the area.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2024, 3:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
Excess retail in the broader area, and it's in a no-man's land surrounded by industry with limited access to a single major street. I doubt many people go by and think "hey, I need to stop at X" and then drive into the complex (the theatres are the most visible thing from Burloak Drive). The long-planned Wyecroft Road extension would help it a lot, never mind improving the road network in the area.
I've heard rumours that Costco is looking at the plaza as well, which would involve demolishing a good chunk of it to build a Costco warehouse.

It makes sense as Halton Region is generally very underserved by Costco, particularly given it's median household incomes.

Also - Power Centres generally underperform for certian retail types. Day to day retail performs best in power centres, but things like clothes retailing does better in a more traditional mall format. The Oakville power centre is a "clothes" power centre so it's not doing too well.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2024, 3:45 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
I've heard rumours that Costco is looking at the plaza as well, which would involve demolishing a good chunk of it to build a Costco warehouse.
Good, especially for the regular shoppers (I'm not one at present). The Burlington Costco is a nightmare, and it's surprising there isn't one in Milton already.

I can envision it all becoming something more like what's at QEW and Fifty Rd. in Stoney Creek (very outdated satellite view).

I wonder if IKEA looked at that site too? They were considering moving their Burlington store, to a site near Walkers Line and the QEW I believe, before deciding to remain where they are; the Burloak site is only around 5 km farther eastward and much more convenient for the Oakville market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
Also - Power Centres generally underperform for certian retail types. Day to day retail performs best in power centres, but things like clothes retailing does better in a more traditional mall format. The Oakville power centre is a "clothes" power centre so it's not doing too well.
Good point.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2024, 10:43 PM

Yeah, if you live in the middle of Oakville then your Costco options are a good 15-20 minutes east (Mississauga) or west (Burlington). Oakville and Milton do seem ripe for Costco locations.

As for that power centre, that bins store actually does have some good deals, but I wouldn't go out of the way for it. For some reason, just from Dec. 14-20 every thing was a dollar. I am having a superhero theme and princess theme for my kids' birhtdays this year. Got the following brand new costumes for a buck each: Adult Batman, kids Batman, kids Wonder Woman, kids Ghost Spider, adult Elsa dress, Frozen bithday banner. Also got several new boxes of 3 superhero figures from Batman movie. And several other items. And funny enough, much of the inventory was 4th of July crap. And their shopping carts are from Wynn Dixie and look like they are from the 60s or 70s.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2024, 12:24 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proof Sheet View Post
I think you need a visit to Bari. I hear that they are on the edge of a retail precipice.
yes, it was a full scale crisis. Miketoronto was completely spooked by the decline of the Bari shopping mall scene. Personally, I blame these guys:

Source: Staten Island or Northern New Jersey.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2024, 12:14 PM

Cloverdale Mall video

Old Posted Mar 5, 2024, 2:11 PM
The Vomit Bag.

^great. The world famous Honeydale Mall gets a shoutout in the video.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2024, 12:04 AM
Hammer'd

Hamilton City Centre ain't looking so hot these days.

Video Link
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Mar 9, 2024, 1:40 AM
Mooderator

Jackson Square.. wasn't that an album by the Arkells?

I love this song:

Video Link

Old Posted Mar 9, 2024, 2:41 AM

Indeed -- the Arkells are from Hamilton (met at McMaster)

Worth noting Jackson Square and Hamilton City Centre are *slightly* different. Two seperate malls on the same city block. City Centre is closed and is set to be replaced with condos

Old Posted Mar 9, 2024, 1:25 PM
SUSPENDED

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt602 View Post
Hamilton City Centre ain't looking so hot these days.

Video Link
I didn't realize that it never got renovated. Strange to see all those early 90s decor and signs used until the very end.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada