HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Suburbs

Old Posted Sep 5, 2023, 8:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
I bought a semi-detached in Aylmer in 2007, built in 1966.. and the garage is a joke. You'd have to watch your mirrors scraping the sides. I don't think it was ever made for a car... especially the big boats they built in the mid-60's.

Not one person on my street uses their garage for a car-hole. Ski gear, bicycles, racks of camping gear, spare tires.. maybe thow in a tool box.
We had a townhouse built in 89 with a very small garage. We would park the Yaris in there over the winter, but it was impossible to get out through the passenger side, and difficult from the driver side. Even worse the few times we parked my two door Focus. A modern mid-sized would not have fit unless you got out through the sunroof.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2023, 3:55 PM

Glen Gower wrote an FAQ titled "WHY ARE THERE SO MANY APPLICATIONS FOR APARTMENTS IN STITTSVILLE THESE DAYS?" While it is obviously Stittsville focused, it is still well worth a read. It is long so I won't copy the entire thing, but here are some points I though were interesting:

Quote:
Recently-approved projects include:
  • Lépine’s René’s Court on Robert Grant Avenue (500 apartments);
  • Broadstreet Properties’ Blackstone Village (400 apartments);
  • North American Development Group’s pair of buildings on Huntmar (350 apartments); and
  • Bayview Group’s 71-unit building under construction next to Papa Sam’s on Stittsville Main.
(Reformatted by me to add bullets)

AFAIK, only the last (and smallest) has a thread in this forum (The Landing [1364-1370 Stittsville Main St] | 14m | 4f | Approved)

EDIT: Broadstreet Properties’ Blackstone Village is 360 Bobolink Ridge | 19m | 4 x 6f | Proposed

and under Question 9, he actually admits:

Quote:
Lower density suburban neighbourhoods, such as Crossing Bridge or Cypress Gardens, typically don’t generate enough tax revenue to pay for services. In newer suburban neighbourhoods with a higher density such as Westwood, Bradley Commons, or Edenwylde the taxes collected come closer to covering the cost of services delivered. You could say that across the entire city, higher-density neighbourhoods “subsidize” the lower tax revenue of lower-density neighbourhoods. (See Hemson Consulting Report, 2021)

Last edited by roger1818; Sep 10, 2023 at 4:58 PM.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2023, 2:05 PM

I noticed that some site prep is underway here... shrub/vegetation has mostly been cleared and is currently flat dirt:

Riverside South Business Park

Old Posted Oct 4, 2023, 1:40 PM

I spotted a new tower crane in Gatineau, Aylmer sector from my balcony. Anyone have an idea what project this could be?

Old Posted Oct 4, 2023, 1:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus CLS View Post
I spotted a new tower crane in Gatineau, Aylmer sector from my balcony. Anyone have an idea what project this could be?
The new library maybe? I don't recall if there was a crane there last time I was in the area a couple weeks ago.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2023, 2:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelnoz View Post
The new library maybe? I don't recall if there was a crane there last time I was in the area a couple weeks ago.
Could be. Last update from our friend Harley613 was in August when they started excavation. Not sure if/how many parking levels were being built.

https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...=246898&page=2

Old Posted Oct 4, 2023, 7:01 PM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Could be. Last update from our friend Harley613 was in August when they started excavation. Not sure if/how many parking levels were being built.

https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...=246898&page=2
It's still a hole, but there's been a lot of activity there in the last while. No crane there yet.

Marcus, there are 2 cranes at Vanier and Allumettières.

Last edited by harls; Oct 4, 2023 at 7:11 PM.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2023, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
It's still a hole, but there's been a lot of activity there in the last while. No crane there yet.

Marcus, there are 2 cranes at Vanier and Allumettières.

I can see the double cranes at 90 degrees straight across the river. I have a western exposure. The single
Crane is northwest and about 2 to 3 km west of the double cranes.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2023, 11:26 PM
Mooderator

It might be in Horus territory.

The Zen Things?

https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=255072

I am sorry, on behalf of Quebec.. you see this.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2023, 6:18 PM
Mooderator

It must be the library. I drove by the site today and the crane is up there now.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2023, 5:28 PM

I'll read it and if I'm ambitious, will try to summarize: but in interim, the document is here:

https://www.kanatanorth.ca/wp-conten.../FILE_7225.pdf

Old Posted Oct 24, 2023, 3:45 PM

New Devcore project. Unclear where it is (assuming near current Devcore projects in old Gatineau) or how many buildings.

https://devcore.ca/propriete/cinq23/

Old Posted Oct 29, 2023, 3:23 AM

Quote:
New Devcore project. Unclear where it is (assuming near current Devcore projects in old Gatineau) or how many buildings.

https://devcore.ca/propriete/cinq23/
Pretty sure this one is on the west side of Montee Paiement between la Verendrye and Harris.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2023, 9:11 PM

Apparently, we should be seeing actual TOD proposals for Limebank soon-ish according to Pat on Rail Fans Canada Discord.

Last edited by J.OT13; Nov 2, 2023 at 9:24 PM.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2023, 4:00 PM

Not perfect but this is a huge improvement from what has been being proposed up to this point.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2023, 5:23 PM

If only something like this could be proposed on all 4 corners of that intersection, then we would have decent density & a decent "town square" around Limebank Station.

This should be then be the standard for all LRT stations. Look at the incredible nodes and the density building around the stations in Vancouver's suburbs.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2023, 6:38 PM

OK, that's starting to get somewhere.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2023, 1:42 PM

You may remember the battle against a BMW dealership overflow parking lot a few years back. Fighting against that plan, I believe, was warranted. The Airport Authority now wants to clear cut the man made "forest", planted to grow telephone poles, as it causes a danger. As many know, forests composed of only one species of trees is at higher risk of disease and damage from ever more frequent storms.

Locals are protesting the "profiteering" owners for wanting to cut the woods on their own land that was planted with the intent of cutting it down eventually anyway. They should be happy they had it for decades instead of wasting energy on saving a "crop" who's time was always counted.

Quote:
Ottawa airport authority to clear cut forest despite opposition

Development planned on land that has to be cut for safety, it says

Nicole Williams · CBC News · Posted: Nov 21, 2023

The Ottawa International Airport Authority will move ahead with clear cutting a forest on Hunt Club Road, despite thousands of people signing a petition opposing the plan.

In a letter addressed to Ottawa residents and the Hunt Club community on Monday, the airport authority called the decision "difficult" but necessary given "this neglected plantation's dangerous state."

The plantation it's referring to is a red pine woodland at 400 Hunt Club Rd., which roughly covers four hectares north of the airport. It was established in the early 1960s with the intention of harvesting trees for lumber and telephone poles.

However, it's a site that locals have enjoyed recreationally for years and have fought to save. In 2021, residents rallied against plans for a BMW dealership to expand its parking lot.

[visit website for more]
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottaw...-cut-1.7034368

Old Posted Nov 22, 2023, 7:57 PM

Quote:
You may remember the battle against a BMW dealership overflow parking lot a few years back. Fighting against that plan, I believe, was warranted. The Airport Authority now wants to clear cut the man made "forest", planted to grow telephone poles, as it causes a danger. As many know, forests composed of only one species of trees is at higher risk of disease and damage from ever more frequent storms.

Locals are protesting the "profiteering" owners for wanting to cut the woods on their own land that was planted with the intent of cutting it down eventually anyway. They should be happy they had it for decades instead of wasting energy on saving a "crop" who's time was always counted.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottaw...-cut-1.7034368
Yep. It was planted as a pine plantation (very closely planted) for straight trunks. After 60 years, it is time for harvest. As I saw closer to home, where the derrecho did a number on multiple similar pine plantations of similar vintage, this site is waiting for a similar calamity. In fact, that same storm just bypassed this site by a very short distance. It was never designed to be a proper woodland and has no lasting value. It is not as if this was climax forest.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2023, 6:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
It is not as if this was climax forest.
I mean, in a sense it's been a climax forest...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Suburbs