HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Oct 25, 2023, 7:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougler306 View Post
Have you not purchased Halloween candy yet, nearly every item is 10% smaller, most kit kats come with only 1 stick now, can count the # of m&ms on 2 hands, sometimes 1. It dosent take a genius to see that, most if not all food items are down in weight but not in price. So yeah reducing nutritional value which probably cost the most too add for food items would be the 1st thing to get axed. As JT asked to them to find savings instead of removing barriers and taxes.

No name items the way to go. No filler just what the ingredients are and that's it.
If there is one upside to the recent bout of inflation, it's that maybe this will slow down the obesity and diabetes epidemic in Canada. Including in children. I hope we see shrinkflation at fast food places, going back to more normal portion sizes.

As for this nonsense about reducing nutritional value, there's not much of that in processed food anyway.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2023, 8:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamincan View Post
Looking at that graphic, it's interesting to me just how much an outlier Alberta is politically, even moreso than Quebec. "Don't tread on me"/"Fuck Trudeau" staunch conservatives certainly aren't uncommon in resource extraction industries, but I have a hard time thinking that's more represented in Alberta than it is in MB/SK where the conservative bend is far less pronounced.
You do, however, have to look at the support of the PPC and in SK/MB it's at 15% and even in BC it's twice the level of Alberta.

Alberta is a conservative minded place but it's not near as redneck as the media and Eastern Canadians seem to believe. Edmonton & Calgary have amongst the most progressive city mayors in the country and have always been centre/centre-left. There is a BIG difference between urban and rural Alberta.

For many Albertans it's not so much the dislike of left leaning gov't but rather how they are controlled by Toronto & Montreal and Ottawa's "shut up and give us your money" attitude it has towards the province. I think many Albertans are generally more conservative but for many it's also a protest vote against the Liberal Party which has always viewed Alberta with distain.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2023, 9:21 PM

That pallas poll would take with some grain of salt as they aren't very well known and very bizarre to have ppc support almost non existent in Alberta but at 15 % in mb sk and 8% bc. I can tell you that here in Manitoba virtually nobody is voting ppc now that poilievre is cpc leader and crushed them in portage lisgar by election few months ago.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2023, 9:31 PM

I wouldn't dismiss Pallas so quickly. They're extremely new, this is only their second poll every. However, the CEO is Joseph Angolano, who was previously Vice President of Mainstreet Research. This aint a random individual starting a polling firm.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2023, 11:12 PM

Sounds like Sophie was cattin' around:

Sophie Grégoire Trudeau 're-partnered' with Ottawa doctor, ex-wife claims in divorce petition
The surgeon's ex-wife cited 'discomfort' and security concerns over the 'new relationship,' months before announcement of Trudeau separation

Author of the article: Glen McGregor, Special to National Post
Published Oct 25, 2023

When Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and his wife Sophie Grégoire Trudeau announced in August that they had legally separated, neither offered any explanation as to why their 18-year marriage had come to an end.

But according to allegations in a divorce claim against an Ottawa pediatric surgeon, by the time the prime minister’s breakup became international news, Grégoire Trudeau was already in another relationship.

In the divorce petition, filed April 26, 2023, Ana Remonda alleges her former spouse, Dr. Marcos Bettolli, has “re-partnered with a high-profile individual who attracts significant media attention, and presents significant security considerations.”

That individual is not identified by name in the court documents, but it has been confirmed that Remonda’s claim refers to Grégoire Trudeau....

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada...trudeau-dating

Old Posted Oct 26, 2023, 2:36 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Lots of chatter about an explosive report on CBC's Fifth Estate to be aired later this week that alleges singer Buffy Ste-Marie is a "pretendian" with no Indigenous ancestry.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2023, 3:06 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Lots of chatter about an explosive report on CBC's Fifth Estate to be aired later this week that alleges singer Buffy Ste-Marie is a "pretendian" with no Indigenous ancestry.
That would surprise me, she actually has very indigenous features.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2023, 12:44 PM

Race is even more of a social construct than gender. It is interesting that the same crowd with strongly held views on the fluidity of gender see race in completely binary terms.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2023, 12:47 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
I would find that very difficult to believe. She looks more indigenous than 95% of her first nations compatriots/

Old Posted Oct 26, 2023, 12:48 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa View Post
Race is even more of a social construct than gender. It is interesting that the same crowd with strongly held views on the fluidity of gender see race in completely binary terms.
The only thing that matters is if you are a card carrying indigenous person or not.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2023, 3:11 PM

Quote:
Excellent point, that! The same people who argue that Buffy Ste-Marie could become a man by simply deciding to think that she’s a man from now on, would find it absolutely outrageous that a hypothetical non-Indigenous Buffy Ste-Marie could “become Indigenous” by deciding to feel/act Indigenous?!?!?

Old Posted Oct 26, 2023, 3:21 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
Excellent point, that! The same people who argue that Buffy Ste-Marie could become a man by simply deciding to think that she’s a man from now on, would find it absolutely outrageous that a hypothetical non-Indigenous Buffy Ste-Marie could “become Indigenous” by deciding to feel/act Indigenous?!?!?
I wonder if anyone will point out this cognitive dissonance to the Woketarians???

Old Posted Oct 26, 2023, 4:22 PM

Quote:
Yeah it's kind of crazy. "Gender is a construct" scientifically at least it is still very much theoretical and being only that is definitively disproven and counterfactual to current Trans theory. Is there even a theory that race is real? Even partially? Metis is a line in the sand we drew whereas intermarriage later can negate your status.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2023, 4:29 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
I think it is only one directional these days though. If you are indigenous and you say you are not on a form, nobody will come after you in any official capacity (that was policed in the southern US in the 1800's for example). There is such a thing of accusations of not being ___ enough but the character of those is usually very different from the backlash against people who are thought to have faked a black or indigenous heritage.

The demand for identities is also interesting. According to some theories if you elect not to identify as a man you're leaving a lot of privilege on the table. For example some people argue that discrimination is the cause of a ~20% gender pay gap, so presumably that group believes that if you can convince others you are male you'll get a pay bump.

Of course it's really a complicated mix of in-groups and out-groups, perceptions of fairness, politics. There is no overarching logic.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2023, 4:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
I wonder if anyone will point out this cognitive dissonance to the Woketarians???
It’s true that it’s nuts when you take a few seconds to ponder it: I can decide I’m a woman and be admitted to a women-only shelter, but somehow I can’t decide I’m Indigenous and (among other benefits) hunt unlimited quantities of moose / fish unlimited quantities of seafood?!? Ridiculous!

Fishing and hunting quotas are fully reliant on a “honor system” in Wokeland: only the tiny minority of Canadians who aren’t open to claiming to be Indigenous have to abide by them

Old Posted Oct 26, 2023, 4:35 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
It’s true that it’s nuts when you take a few seconds to ponder it: I can decide I’m a woman and be admitted to a women-only shelter, but somehow I can’t decide I’m Indigenous and (among other benefits) hunt unlimited quantities of moose / fish unlimited quantities of seafood?!? Ridiculous!

Fishing and hunting quotas are fully reliant on a “honor system” in Wokeland: only the tiny minority of Canadians who aren’t open to claiming to be Indigenous have to abide by them
I'm sure the majority of Quebecers (who have been on this continent for 400 years or so) can claim at least some indigenous ancestry.

I'm 7th generation Canadian. My family has been here for over 200 years. Heck, even I must have some indigenous blood somewhere.

When a status Mi'kmaq band was created in Newfoundland about 20 years ago, suddenly about 40% of the provinces population applied for status benefits. Were they wrong???

Old Posted Oct 26, 2023, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
I think it is only one directional these days though. If you are indigenous and you say you are not on a form, nobody will come after you in any official capacity (that was policed in the southern US in the 1800's for example). There is such a thing of accusations of not being ___ enough but the character of those is usually very different from the backlash against people who are thought to have faked a black or indigenous heritage.

The demand for identities is also interesting. According to some theories if you elect not to identify as a man you're leaving a lot of privilege on the table. For example some people argue that discrimination is the cause of a ~20% gender pay gap, so presumably that group believes that if you can convince others you are male you'll get a pay bump.

Of course it's really a complicated mix of in-groups and out-groups, perceptions of fairness, politics. There is no overarching logic.
Your last sentence is the most accurate. There is no overarching logic. The only way to be fair is to ignore race and gender and concentrate on the individual. While of course under current law/agreements/policy this isn't possible in the Indigenous case. It's clear under the law there are only advantages to being Indigenous which is why people pretend to be so. Yet on results there are many areas where they are struggling. Incarceration is a good example where they can get lower sentence by being Indigenous yet are hugely disproportionally in custody. The Judicial system and certainly not Corrections Canada can't make up for the societal problems that cause this yet get blamed for racism. Funny nobody says those systems are Misandrist because men are over represented.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2023, 5:38 PM

Quote:
In depth article, the old yearbook photos were interesting

Canadian documentary focuses on ‘Icon’ who based career on Native identity
Acee Agoyo Indianz.Com October 25, 2023

But the Native people who participated in CBC’s documentary process believe Sainte-Marie’s decision to step away from the spotlight is directly connected to the questions about her First Nations identity. According to the sources, work on the hour-long episode began more than a year ago and it grew to include interviews with individuals in the United States, where the performer was raised following claims to have been born in Canada and adopted out of Piapot.

Due to the lengthy production time associated with the CBC project, Sainte-Marie would have been well aware of the nature of the documentary — especially of its potential to unravel a career that began in the 1960s, the people said. The award-winning singer and songwriter has largely remained silent about her retirement decision, with no significant interviews appearing in mainstream media since her announcement more than two months ago.

But on October 14, Sainte-Marie appeared on a podcast in which she undermined her own long-running claims about her Native heritage. In an interview with Terry David Mulligan, a Canadian actor and radio and television personality who described the singer as one of his “good friends,” she said she wasn’t adopted out of the Piapot Cree Nation as she has often asserted.

“I’m always trying to clarify the urban legend stories because some of them are just not true and others are confusing,” Sainte-Marie said on the podcast, seemingly indicating that it’s the public that has not understood her Native claims.

“I think there’s been confusion regarding my Piapot adoption, for instance,” Sainte-Marie said of her connection to an elderly Cree couple that welcomed her into their family after she rose to prominence as a folk singer. “I was adopted into the Piapot family — not I was adopted out of Piapot Reserve.”

Old Posted Oct 26, 2023, 5:42 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

A lot of people in less prosperous areas or communities think of material success as coming from government assistance and think rich people got the most handouts and so it is unfair. You see this in parts of rural Atlantic Canada (the traditional Canadian policy approach there being to kneecap the economy and then provide handouts). It can help but for individuals to thrive they need positive incentives, which basically means gaining skills, working, and profiting from that. You can make people poorer by giving them handouts and structuring their intergenerational wealth in a way that traps them.

Another incorrect view is when people over-ascribe problems to discrimination or past grievances. Those things have an impact for sure but it's not 100% of what's going on. Around here the discrimination part is minor compared to what advantages or disadvantages people get growing up and how much hard work pays off for them. Note that having ultra high rents and real estate is bad for just about everybody, indigenous or not. If you are lower income you'll feel the effects more.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2023, 5:56 PM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Is this a joke? She's 82, clearly looks Indigenous, and a legend. A Canadian treasure. That would shock me. She's still rocking out as an Octogenarian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post
That would surprise me, she actually has very indigenous features.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
I would find that very difficult to believe. She looks more indigenous than 95% of her first nations compatriots/
Exactly

BSM is supposedly (Piapot Cree) from the area of/near Qu'Appelle Valley of Saskatchewan, and ended up being taken by her family and subsequently adopted by White American parents in Massachusetts when she was around 2 or 3 years old. *Even if it turned out she's not from this particular band/tribe of Saskatchewan she must have Indigenous DNA from some tribe of North America*

I've been to Qu'Appelle Valley and you can almost feel the ancient connection to the land there. It has this really strong energy that I cannot describe. Similar to seeing and experiencing the Cabot Trail for the first time, or being in the Rockies for the first time (for Québécois maybe going back country camping in the Laurentides, or seeing Gaspé) but a different feeling.
It truly feels like a majestic place in the Prairies.

I still regret not getting tickets when Covid was still circulating of her performance in 2021 at the completely revitalized c. 1894 Massey Hall in Toronto.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Massey_Hall

A great song I recommend with good headphones and eyes closed
Video Link

Last edited by Wigs; Oct 26, 2023 at 6:09 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada