HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Oct 23, 2023, 6:09 PM
The Vomit Bag.

They are in North York. And they are quite awful.

Behold:
The 10 Ugliest Condos in Toronto

Old Posted Oct 23, 2023, 6:31 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
They are in North York. And they are quite awful.

Behold:
The 10 Ugliest Condos in Toronto
It might be another one I have in mind then. Not long after you enter Toronto from Ajax-Pickering. On the left so the south side of the 401. It's before the DVP because that is the exit I usually take.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2023, 6:34 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
It might be another one I have in mind then. Not long after you enter Toronto from Ajax-Pickering. On the left so the south side of the 401. It's before the DVP because that is the exit I usually take.
The condo buildings on McCowan Road between 401 and Sheppard Avenue are unsightly IMO too, but that’s to the right.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2023, 6:35 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
These?
https://www.google.com/maps/@43.7829...8192?entry=ttu

Old Posted Oct 27, 2023, 3:10 AM

Video Link
'

Kicking Horse Canyon Update

Old Posted Nov 27, 2023, 5:19 PM

News: Province of Ontario uploading Gardiner and DVP

https://globalnews.ca/news/10116918/...d-olivia-chow/

I didn't have this on my 2023 Highways Bingo Card.

Probably not a major consideration at the moment, but I do wonder if they'll get numbered in some way, or if the "QEW" will take over the Gardiner. Or if we'll see "DVP" on an Ontario highway shield.

This also makes me wonder if the City of Ottawa will start pushing for the province to take over the 174 again, or if cities like Hamilton and Windsor that have municipally-owned expressways would start asking for similar treatment.

Last edited by manny_santos; Nov 27, 2023 at 5:38 PM.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2023, 5:43 PM

I think Hamilton's RHVP and Linc should be uploaded - but E.C. Row and 174 are tougher sells. Maybe 174 as people from Clarence-Rockland use it.

The Linc and RHVP are key corridors connecting New York to Michigan and Niagara to SW Ontario however and play really important provincial roles.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2023, 5:50 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

If E.C. Row Expressway goes beyond Windsor City limit, that may be on the table too. No matter how rich the encircling Essex County is, maintaining a divided freeway is a sure way to break the budget.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2023, 5:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manny_santos View Post

Probably not a major consideration at the moment, but I do wonder if they'll get numbered in some way, or if the "QEW" will take over the Gardiner. Or if we'll see "DVP" on an Ontario highway shield.
This is a bit too Toronto-centric and I'm going to talk about non-highway stuff in the highways thread, but this is a huge win for the City of Toronto, and probably the most consequential thing Olivia Chow has ever done. Kudos to her.

Included in this highway uploading announcement:

- 55 new subway cars for the Bloor-Danforth line. That's hundreds of millions of dollars in savings for the City.
- The province assuming all the operating costs for the Eglinton Crosstown and Finch LRT lines. So not only does the city save on operating these lines, but it also frees up about 100 buses at rush hour that can be redeployed elsewhere in the system. Huge.

It was always getting more dubious with the province increasingly covering 100% of the funding of big capital projects in Toronto, but I'd say that this is the definitive end of the Mike Harris era of austerity and municipal downloading, and this all happened under a Conservative government.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2023, 6:01 PM
sick transit, gloria

Yeah this is a very good deal for Toronto and I'm pleasantly surprised with what Chow has managed to get done. Doug's government seems to be somewhat intimidated by her (basing this on what I've seen behind the scenes) which could lead to some good outcomes for Toronto.

Those highways never should have been 100% the responsibility of the City of Toronto, particularly with the Gardiner replacement. Some people are going to be pissed off about Ontario Place but the ultimately the City's hands are tied on this - the Province would have won out in the end.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2023, 6:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
I think Hamilton's RHVP and Linc should be uploaded - but E.C. Row and 174 are tougher sells. Maybe 174 as people from Clarence-Rockland use it.

The Linc and RHVP are key corridors connecting New York to Michigan and Niagara to SW Ontario however and play really important provincial roles.
There's definitely a case for those, although I think that Hamilton had its moment in the sun not too long ago when the province assumed the full cost of all the underground infrastructure upgrades along Hamilton's LRT corridor. For a city of Hamilton's size, that was no small thing.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2023, 6:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster duck View Post
This is a bit too Toronto-centric and I'm going to talk about non-highway stuff in the highways thread, but this is a huge win for the City of Toronto, and probably the most consequential thing Olivia Chow has ever done. Kudos to her.

- 55 new subway cars for the Bloor-Danforth line. That's hundreds of millions of dollars in savings for the City.
- The province assuming all the operating costs for the Eglinton Crosstown and Finch LRT lines. So not only does the city save on operating these lines, but it also frees up about 100 buses at rush hour that can be redeployed elsewhere in the system. Huge.

It was always getting more dubious with the province increasingly covering 100% of the funding of big capital projects in Toronto, but I'd say that this is the definitive end of the Mike Harris era of austerity and municipal downloading, and this all happened under a Conservative government.
Ford has long behaved unlike a lot of historic conservative governments. His capital infrastructure program has been unprecedented in North America in spending - absolutely immense. The Liberals before him already had a strong program and he just dialed it up even more.

He's a very, very different politician than Harris was.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2023, 6:20 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:

This also makes me wonder if the City of Ottawa will start pushing for the province to take over the 174 again, or if cities like Hamilton and Windsor that have municipally-owned expressways would start asking for similar treatment.
Ontario taking over the 174 would be great news for Ottawa.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2023, 12:58 AM

Quote:

It might make a lot of other municipalities upset that Toronto is getting such major roadways uploaded when many smaller places are saddled with huge downloaded road costs and have much higher property taxes than T.O. This is the case in Timmins but the Ford government has promised a huge amount of money for upgrading the municipal portion of Hwy 101 here known as a connecting link.

As for the numbering I can certainly see the DVP (Don Valley Parkway) being numbered as Hwy 404 but the DVP name remaining for the part that currently has that name. Probably will see two shield side-by-side. The exit numbers of Hwy 404 are a continuation of the DVP as they have always been considered to be the same highway even if the names and government in charge was different.

As the the Gardiner Expressway, its exit numbers are a continuation from the QEW. It's possible that the QEW signage could go to where it meets the DVP but I don't think that will happen because it would cause confusion.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2023, 1:12 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

It will be interesting if someone in MTO decides to have QEW absorb 404. In that case, QEW will have exit numbers in the 200s.
Regardless, this will be interesting as both highways now have segments in 110 kph, 100 kph and 90 kph (excluding QEW near the border).

Old Posted Nov 28, 2023, 1:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco101 View Post
It might make a lot of other municipalities upset that Toronto is getting such major roadways uploaded when many smaller places are saddled with huge downloaded road costs and have much higher property taxes than T.O. This is the case in Timmins but the Ford government has promised a huge amount of money for upgrading the municipal portion of Hwy 101 here known as a connecting link.

As for the numbering I can certainly see the DVP (Don Valley Parkway) being numbered as Hwy 404 but the DVP name remaining for the part that currently has that name. Probably will see two shield side-by-side. The exit numbers of Hwy 404 are a continuation of the DVP as they have always been considered to be the same highway even if the names and government in charge was different.

As the the Gardiner Expressway, its exit numbers are a continuation from the QEW. It's possible that the QEW signage could go to where it meets the DVP but I don't think that will happen because it would cause confusion.
I'm wondering if the Gardiner Expressway would become part of unsigned Highway 451 (the 400-series number associated with the QEW) but maintain its name?

There are rumors that 174 might be uploaded, https://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/deal-betwe...rces-1.6662824. If that were to transpire, I'm curious how extensive that would be (freeway section of 174, all of 174, or all of RR174/CR17 that covers all of former Hwy 17)? Also, would an uploaded RR174 become Hwy 174, a revived Hwy 17, or something else?

Old Posted Nov 28, 2023, 1:43 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmuzika View Post
I'm wondering if the Gardiner Expressway would become part of unsigned Highway 451 (the 400-series number associated with the QEW) but maintain its name?

There are rumors that 174 might be uploaded, https://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/deal-betwe...rces-1.6662824. If that were to transpire, I'm curious how extensive that would be (freeway section of 174, all of 174, or all of RR174/CR17 that covers all of former Hwy 17)? Also, would an uploaded RR174 become Hwy 174, a revived Hwy 17, or something else?
It's county road 17 east of Ottawa in Prescott-Russell, all the way to where it links up with the 417 about 10 km from the Quebec border and A-40.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2023, 2:46 PM
User Registered

Quote:

"Progressive" Conservative.

I think this is a win for all. I think everyone realizes that the DVP/Gardiner are extremely important roads from a provincial standpoint. Why would Toronto be paying for maintaining something that is utilized by many people outside the city limits? Either make all of the GTA chip in or just make it a provincial highway, the latter being much easier to implement.

Douggie looks good here, and he needs a win after the greenbelt fiasco.

I don't live in Toronto but I see those two freeways just like any other freeway on the 400 series. The same goes for the freeways in Hamilton- those have merit to be uploaded too.... they save me a ton of time going from London to Niagara Falls / east into the USA.

My Simcity Stuff

Last edited by haljackey; Nov 28, 2023 at 2:56 PM.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2023, 2:48 PM

Is there any plan to extend the freeway portion of 174 east beyond Trim? Or at least to widen it to 4 lanes?

Old Posted Nov 28, 2023, 3:10 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Is there any plan to extend the freeway portion of 174 east beyond Trim? Or at least to widen it to 4 lanes?
See this article, but nothing's been done AFAIK.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottaw...ersy-1.3473298

Note that the next logical section to be widened from Trim (Orleans) to Cumberland would be very difficult to do as the road hugs the Ottawa River and has a very small right-of-way with lots of properties on both sides of it. This segment is within the City of Ottawa boundaries.

The next section further east from Cumberland to Rockland would be easier as it runs through farm fields for the most part. This segment is outside Ottawa and in Clarence-Rockland which is part of the Prescott-Russell United Counties.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada