HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Jan 7, 2008, 4:01 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

Enough 'Couve bashing!

There are actually some very well educated, well-paid people who live there. I've been to a few neighborhoods in town where the houses cost in excess of 3/4 of a million $. Unfortunately, they were kind of sprawled all over the place.

For condo districts to succeed they need to draw in people with enough money or equity to afford a unit, and if you're lucky the city can leverage that to build affordable units and mix the incomes up a bit.

But yeah, luxury condos in the 'Couve is not a primary real estate market and can't really compete with the amenities in downtown Portland... (all the more reason to get light rail over there to help boost land value and increase convenience!). Also, the main draw to live in the 'Couve in the first place is the large lots so building a dense neighborhood is contrary to the reason most people live there.

Vancouver, I would imagine, has a long way to go to create a kick-ass urban environment. Good luck to 'em!

Old Posted Jan 7, 2008, 8:03 AM
Puyo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexjon View Post
You keep implying that removing the seedy element and artificially creating a highly educated upper middle-class population will make Vancouver boom-- but that goes against the grain of urban history. Unless Vancouver lives in a symbiotic way off of Portland for the rest of its existence, taking out all the refinement of a well-rounded and character-filled city makes it just another sprawled suburb.
Are you sure Clark Community College students, Hudson's Bay High School students, Hough Elementary School students, Discovery Middle School students, Vancouver Arts School students, all of them nearby or inside the downtown will not go to the largest main library in downtown? I am sorry, I couldn't imagine that.

Quote:
Capitol Hill has its crime (and relatively speaking, it's not much) because it hasn't lost its character, and that same character is what drives up rent and keeps people there for years. Crime happens from time to time, it's just endemic to a vibrant downtown or urban area.
It's depends on who people will go.

Quote:
As far as what Vancouver's doing, I am still not convinced that it will be any kind of urban center in the future, even with these "developments" people keep touting, especially since they effectively eradicate and rebuild, instead of refining and repairing what was there before.
I am sorry, it will. It just will. Today, the downtown's characteristic is the one of Vancouver's big issue right now.

Quote:
And when city officials are saying "no offense, but old people are useless", you know there has to be something wrong with this approach.
Well but I still doubt that the city of Vancouver governments would ever stop investing for elder's homes. Even I would highly doubt they would ever demolish their very first time 15th floor building, Smith Tower.

Quote:
Finally, as little towns with Transit Centers in downtown go, Vancouver had a pretty good one. But I don't expect Vancouver to make intelligent decisions in transit anymore, I really don't. First this, then the bio-diesel idiocy; it's really not going well for you guys.
Hmm, the public transportation system today in Vancouver is not bad at all, as speaking of my experience riding around Vancouver, I don't drive a car.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2008, 5:54 PM

Update please im interested to see if light rail will go to Vancouver

Old Posted Mar 23, 2008, 6:58 PM

still going through the process...check this thread:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...123412&page=17

Old Posted Jul 16, 2008, 1:15 PM
Puyo!

This place is now a Turtle Place Read this for more information, it's going to be a plaza.

Here's a youtube movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6MRHbsGReM

And their official website, I think.

http://lawnchairguy.wordpress.com/

Old Posted Sep 27, 2008, 12:22 PM

7th street should become vancouvers' pioneer square

Old Posted Dec 29, 2009, 2:23 AM

Any updates? I'm guessing this goes hand in hand with the CRC.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2009, 3:17 AM

▲▲ Man, if all the proposed streetcar proposals (locally/nationwide) actually get built, this could mean a lot of business/money for the streetcar manufacturing plant in Clackamas County! Yah!

Last edited by PacificNW; Dec 29, 2009 at 5:34 PM.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2009, 7:32 AM

I'm pumped about us getting a new model streetcar with the eastside loop.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2015, 8:12 PM

Bringing this thread back from the dead.

Quote:
Portland's next ride: super-sized buses that act like light rail

The Portland region is expanding its already crowded stable of transit options.

Regional agencies are moving ahead with plans to build "bus rapid transit" lines, which carry passengers in super-sized buses that act more like light-rail trains.

With rapid transit buses, passengers pay for their fare in advance and can board from multiple doors, eliminating a wait at the fare box. Boarding-level platforms and ramps speed boarding for riders with disabilities. Plus, the buses get priority treatment at traffic lights.

Portland planners have settled on the new approach to connect Portland and Gresham along Southeast Powell Boulevard and Division Street.

But the area's first rapid transit bus project, a $53 million route dubbed "The Vine," is already under construction in Vancouver.

"Ours is actually the first in the region," said Scott Patterson, director of development and public affairs for C-Tran, the transit agency that serves Clark County. "It's kind of a badge of honor for us."

...continues at the Oregonian.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Dec 4, 2015, 9:00 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

YAY!!!

Don't get me wrong - I adore light rail - but I've been dying to see a bit of the Bogota model used here, especially along routes that have shopping, such as Hawthorne, Belmont, Mississippi, etc, not as a replacement for light rail, but as a tool for places light rail can't reasonably go (sigh... I'd love to see a streetcar along Hawthorne & Belmont, among many other places).

Many people hop on and off the streetcar, using it for leisure, but they don't tend to use busses that way. Busses are about a seat to get you from point A to point B.

People don't say "Hey, I see the bus coming. Want to hop on and go to the Pearl?" But people do that with the streetcar all the time. And I think they'd use a Bogota style rapid transit bus that way too.

Quote:
There is one challenge with bus rapid transit: convincing potential riders that it's not just a bus.
I don't think that will be a problem so long as the busses are designed with entrances and seating that more closely resembles a streetcar, as seen in the image above. I also don't think dedicated roadways are essential for something like this to work (though I'd love it if that could be part of the system here).

Old Posted Dec 5, 2015, 1:36 AM

I'd like to see a BRT bus like this on Sandy. I dream of taking the parking off Sandy and reconfiguring the street to have one lane of traffic in each direction, a center turn lane, dedicated BRT lanes, and bike lanes. Including parking, that road effectively has 6 lanes worth of space to use.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2015, 1:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abide View Post
I'd like to see a BRT bus like this on Sandy. I dream of taking the parking off Sandy and reconfiguring the street to have one lane of traffic in each direction, a center turn lane, dedicated BRT lanes, and bike lanes. Including parking, that road effectively has 6 lanes worth of space to use.
That would be nice. However they road diet Sandy, when it happens its desirability will surge. I think we can look at Williams in a similar fashion. Standing outside of the Hollywood theatre gives you an idea of the potential for Sandy. Right now it comes with significant speeding and lane changing directly adjacent to people (par for 4 lane urban highways). Foot traffic is minimal, and dedicated to crossing not walking up Sandy.

For a long time Sandy has been a commuter route for people bypassing I84. This is what Williams was to I5 before PBOT placed diverters in the left lane. Virtually no development is happening on sandy (take a look: a vast majority are a block or more recessed). 2 bike lanes and 3 lanes of traffic would almost immediately turn Kerns and Hollywood into two of the most desirable neighborhoods in Portland. Leadership in city hall is the way this happens.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Transportation & Infrastructure