HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Nov 7, 2016, 1:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
What are these percentages?
Baptist + Pentecostal + other Christian.

A proxy measure for conservative Protestants, as it excludes those Christians who are Catholic, Orthodox or Mainline Protestant.

That's the most specific data I can get at the CD and federal riding levels.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2016, 1:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternallyme View Post
I believe, if the Conservatives took an overall Donald Trump position including on trade, they would be very dominant in the southwest. On trade and some economic policies, that region takes the NDP position but they are right of Harper on social and cultural policies. But protectionist policies would not be popular among their Alberta base (or in Quebec, for that matter).
That's a good point. "Trumpism" would have more appeal in SW Ontario (and Renfrew County!) than in Alberta.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2016, 1:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docere View Post
Interesting. Perhaps Eastern Ontario is the "Opus Dei" capital of Canada?
Kingston has a large population of people with no religion; 30% in the city overall and about 40-50% in the inner city census tracts, compared to the nationwide average of 24%, largely from the influence of the university.

But the Christian population here, while proportionally smaller, tends to be a lot more religiously conservative than Christians elsewhere in Canada.
"It is only because the control of the means of production is divided among many people acting independently that nobody has complete power over us, that we as individuals can decide what to do with ourselves." - Friedrich Hayek

Old Posted Nov 7, 2016, 1:58 AM

Quote:
Baptist + Pentecostal + other Christian.

A proxy measure for conservative Protestants, as it excludes those Christians who are Catholic, Orthodox or Mainline Protestant.

That's the most specific data I can get at the CD and federal riding levels.
Not necessarily.. "Other Christian" includes non-denominational liberal Christians. In rural areas that group is not particularly numerous but it's definitely worth keeping them in mind when looking at the "other Christian" category.
"It is only because the control of the means of production is divided among many people acting independently that nobody has complete power over us, that we as individuals can decide what to do with ourselves." - Friedrich Hayek

Old Posted Nov 7, 2016, 2:40 AM

Unfortunately there's no way to separate out these liberal non-denominational Christians (which would inflate the numbers more in socially liberal urban districts than in rural areas or "Bible Belts" anyway) at the Census Division or Federal Riding levels.

It seems pretty clear that the majority in the "other Christian" category are evangelicals or conservative Protestants of some sort.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2016, 2:52 AM

Of the 3 million "other Christians" in the 2011 NHS, 1.5 million were "Christian, n.i.e." (which includes "Born Again" responses). The highest "Christian n.i.e." percentage I could find was the Abbotsford CA (13%) so there's almost certainly a good deal of evangelicals among them.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2016, 3:13 AM

Quote:
Interesting. Perhaps Eastern Ontario is the "Opus Dei" capital of Canada?
Opus Dei, to my knowledge, has a presence in Ottawa and in Toronto, but I'm not aware of it existing in Kingston. However, its philosophy does seem to have some influence on the Catholic population there.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2016, 3:16 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Regarding Eastern Ontario, it's worth mentioning that the francophone Catholic population there (concentrated in east end Ottawa and Prescott-Russell counties) tends to be quite "Cafeteria Catholic", and therefore pretty relaxed on moral issues.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2016, 3:31 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
Letting TWU discriminate against gays = liberal.
"Forcing" the Charter on TWU = conservative.
These are the new Canadian values according to some.

I'll say this about the niqab - it's a fascinating litmus test for how far some are willing to go in their pursuit of a tolerant image for their country.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2016, 3:49 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternallyme View Post
The Liberal gains were primarily concentrated in and around Greater Montreal, where the niqab issue was never an asset anyway. But in the rest of Quebec, it killed Mulcair and drove the ABC voters to Trudeau in a heartbeat. All it confirmed was that Quebec was not a distinct society politically (it wasn't too distinct from other regions).
To respond more clearly on this, anti-niqab sentiment is fairly strong in Quebec. (Even if not a "ballot question" for most people.) However, the reason it's higher than in most of the rest of Canada is because on top of the usual chunk of xenophobic people that you have in all provinces, you have secularism and feminism pushing the numbers up significantly in Quebec as well.

Last edited by Acajack; Nov 8, 2016 at 1:40 AM.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2016, 3:51 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaskScraper View Post
most people in the Arab world would not want women to have the choice either, doesn't make it right.

Bloc Quebeqois & Arab World = wants to control women's choice
women choosing to wear or not wear niqab = liberal

The niqab debate during election campaign took Tom Mulcair & NDP from first place to third place in his home province of Quebec within days of his voicing his support of women's choice. There is more than just a minority group in Quebec that are not liberal enough to believe women should not have the right to choose.

http://globalnews.ca/news/2251072/ni...observers-say/
It's never about not allowing women to wear what they want (incl. the niqab), it's about making exceptions to established rules for it in official circumstances.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2016, 4:58 AM

Quote:
Regarding Eastern Ontario, it's worth mentioning that the francophone Catholic population there (concentrated in east end Ottawa and Prescott-Russell counties) tends to be quite "Cafeteria Catholic", and therefore pretty relaxed on moral issues.
I would say that's pretty common among most Franco-Ontarian Catholics including here in the Northeast.

We don't have a lot of Protestant evangelical churches here in Timmins but for the ones we have, many francophones attend them. Some have French language services on Sunday usually before or after the English one and others only offer programs (bible studies, etc.) in French. We do have a Pentecostal church that is French-only.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2016, 6:35 AM

Quote:
It's never about not allowing women to wear what they want (incl. the niqab), it's about making exceptions to established rules for it in official circumstances.
..making these exceptions of established rules, by Quebec definition, would not allow niqab-by-choice wearing women to receive or deliver public services.

Quote:
MONTREAL–Quebec Premier Jean Charest and his cabinet have introduced sweeping legislation that effectively bars Muslim women from receiving or delivering public services while wearing a niqab.

According to the draft law, they would not be able to consult a doctor in a hospital, for example, or even attend classes in a university.

(Charest) further clarified that even public-service employees who do not interact with the public – the majority of the provincial bureaucracy – would also not be permitted to wear the niqab.

The legislation doesn't stop at driver's licence or health card offices. It encompasses nearly every public and para-public institution as well, including universities, school boards, hospitals, community health and daycare centres.

However, Charest reaffirmed the right to wear other religious symbols, such as crosses, skullcaps or headscarves, which was met by some as evidence of hypocrisy and discrimination.
https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/...en_unveil.html

The rest of the country has moved in the opposite direction from Quebec's oppression of niqab wearing women.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2016, 11:41 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Oppression? In spite of the chatter the rules are the same here as in the rest of Canada.

So don't you worry, if you want a veiled wife who has to walk five steps behind you, you can live that Canadian dream in Quebec too!

Old Posted Nov 7, 2016, 12:52 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Oppression? In spite of the chatter the rules are the same here as in the rest of Canada.

So don't you worry, if you want a veiled wife who has to walk five steps behind you, you can live that Canadian dream in Quebec too!
This is a pretty disingenuous characterization of the position of most people on here who are opposed to bans on the niqab. I think the case for that opposition - based on a particular interpretation of liberalism and general pragmatic approach to accommodation of differing cultures - has been made pretty clearly here on several occasions.

I'll be completely honest, I'm not comfortable with the niqab. I think that a hijab is a reasonable alternative expression of culture and identity; the niqab is a bit far beyond of the bounds of western culture for my comfort. That said, I'm also sensitive to the fact that western culture has very happily tried to regulate what women wear for a long time and see this as being an extension of that. The question is what reasonable accommodation looks like.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2016, 2:14 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy_haak View Post
This is a pretty disingenuous characterization of the position of most people on here who are opposed to bans on the niqab. I think the case for that opposition - based on a particular interpretation of liberalism and general pragmatic approach to accommodation of differing cultures - has been made pretty clearly here on several occasions.
Agreed but he was asking for it with all of the sanctimonious holier-than-thou BS.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2016, 2:23 PM

Quote:
To respond more clearly on this, anti-niqab sentiment is fairly strong in Quebec. (Even if not a "ballot question" for most people.) However, the reason it's higher than in most of the rest of Canada is because on top of the usual chunk or xenophobic people that you have in all provinces, you have secularism and feminism pushing the numbers up significantly in Quebec as well.
I thought Quebec was the land of laïcité as opposed to the secularism that prevails in MOC.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2016, 2:28 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco101 View Post
I would say that's pretty common among most Franco-Ontarian Catholics including here in the Northeast.

We don't have a lot of Protestant evangelical churches here in Timmins but for the ones we have, many francophones attend them. Some have French language services on Sunday usually before or after the English one and others only offer programs (bible studies, etc.) in French. We do have a Pentecostal church that is French-only.
Yeah, there is also a trickle of re-confessionalization this is happening in Quebec with non-Catholic, Christian churches like these.

Part of it is likely due to a perception on the part of some that the Roman Catholic church in Quebec has become too morally "loose".

The most visible and popular Catholic church figure by far in Quebec in the 21st century was this guy, a former gay prostitute and a strong progressive on almost all social issues: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raymond_Gravel

The late cardinal Jean-Claude Turcotte was also pretty loose.

The two main Catholic figures in Quebec today, cardinal Marc Ouellet and Montreal archbishop Christian Lépine, are somewhat more conservative. Neither of them were named by the current more progressive pope Francis, nor are they as popular or respected as the late Gravel and the late Turcotte.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2016, 2:29 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
I thought Quebec was the land of laïcité as opposed to the secularism that prevails in MOC.
"Laïcité" and "secularism" are synonyms. One is a direct translation of the other.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2016, 2:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Maybe you're just more fluent than me in both languages but I'd be at a loss to translate that word to anything other than that word...? I don't get your point, if you think there's a difference, what is it?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada