HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Dec 29, 2020, 3:02 AM
BANNED

What's your 2021 ramp up plan?

So it's pretty much a given that for the first time in history, every human alive is gonna have a better month ahead than behind, until at least July-August?

So what's your plan for the new year, in the context of things opening up and getting freer.

I've more or less decided I'm gonna take a skating class come fall. Not something that ever came to mind while living in Newfoundland/Toronto. However in London there appears to be multiple outdoor rinks. I play on using the next 8 months to get into a shape where learning to skate won't be a waste of money.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2020, 4:26 AM
recession proof

2020 was one of the best years of my life: Stock market up, got to see most of Ontario, first year driving in many years, figured out my health problems. 2021 hopefully I get to see more of Canada, maybe buy a new car, possibly buy another property.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2020, 1:03 PM

2020 was the busiest year I've seen, I think, in nearly 30 years at my job. Only worked from home for about a month and a half, before returning to the office (albeit masked). To the point that I'm pretty fried.

Looking forward to being a bit more social (though we've had some pared down contact here). The big ? is travel... we typically went to Mexico/FL/Europe twice a year but that will likely change.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2020, 6:48 PM
Midtowner since 2K

Hmm. I think I'll just continue doing what I do, staying at home and making art and such until....well, the lockdown is over. Then...I guess I'll stick to working more, but still staying home a good bit. If we do get to be more reopened like in summer, that'll be well, something. I'll probably be working more. I'm not really crossing my fingers for later on next year, because it sounds weird..to be out of this time and back to a more normal situation. I guess I'd host an event, and....possibly, just possibly, travel to BC. Theres a huge event scheduled for August, but of course, I don't see it happening....it's supposed to be like 2,000 people. It's not set in stone, but it's something expected to happen.

In any rate, by that point hopefully I'll be better off mentally. I should be.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2020, 7:03 PM
Community Guy

Worked my arse off for the first 5 months of 2020, in-between opportunities since which has been a remarkably nice sabbatical. Time to reflect, re-connect, complete a few courses and ready myself for my next 20 years of work.

I am hopeful that 2021 will bring a unique challenge(s) professionally and opportunities for international travel again.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Dec 29, 2020, 8:14 PM

I must say, I enjoyed the downtime in 2020. It's been nice to be with family, take long walks in nature, not really worry about making it into the office. I've also focused on trying to develop an appreciation for whisky and wine - all from Canada. It has been quite enjoyable reading and tasting.

To that end, I recently read a Tweet about someone who's opening an independent wine and spirits shop in Niagara wine country. The Tweet said they'd be selling expensive whiskies and icewines in smaller, sealed sample bottles to make it affordable. That'll be incredible for Ontario; we were deprived that under the LCBO monopoly, whose gradually-accelerating death has been one of the enjoyable knock-on effects of 2020. So I'm personally quite excited to see what comes of that.

Otherwise, I can't wait to travel again. Air Canada flight credits to Vancouver and Halifax, plus a bunch of VIA credit are all waiting for *hopefully* doing a coast to coast trip next summer. Man, it's going to be incredible to be together again!

Old Posted Dec 29, 2020, 9:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by savevp View Post
I must say, I enjoyed the downtime in 2020. It's been nice to be with family, take long walks in nature, not really worry about making it into the office. I've also focused on trying to develop an appreciation for whisky and wine - all from Canada. It has been quite enjoyable reading and tasting.

To that end, I recently read a Tweet about someone who's opening an independent wine and spirits shop in Niagara wine country. The Tweet said they'd be selling expensive whiskies and icewines in smaller, sealed sample bottles to make it affordable. That'll be incredible for Ontario; we were deprived that under the LCBO monopoly, whose gradually-accelerating death has been one of the enjoyable knock-on effects of 2020. So I'm personally quite excited to see what comes of that.

Otherwise, I can't wait to travel again. Air Canada flight credits to Vancouver and Halifax, plus a bunch of VIA credit are all waiting for *hopefully* doing a coast to coast trip next summer. Man, it's going to be incredible to be together again!
Don’t you need to be a vintner or distiller to have a retail outlet in Ontario, or has there been a change in the rules?

Old Posted Dec 29, 2020, 9:28 PM

I was planning on going to Berlin, Prague, and Vienna in 2020 so hopefully that is back on by this fall.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2020, 9:45 PM
ARTchitecture

2020 has been a mega roller coaster for me. From super up at the beginning of the year, having visited my family and friends in Ontario for a month between December and January, going to Cuba for my first time in February, being hired as a hiking tour guide by a mountain resort in March... to that opportunity being obliterated by the global shutdown, student loans running out, coming within an inch of suicide multiple times due to fears of starvation/eviction, teaching myself to paint, then having one of the best summer's of my life, going to Vancouver for a month, making a ton of new friends, spending days at the beach, then coming home and experiencing terrible seasonal depression while annihilating all of my classes (3.85 semester! ), rescuing a dog, then spending my birthday and christmas alone for the first time ever.

So yeah, wild year, but I'd say overall a very good one despite the extremely low lows.

In 2021, I'll be graduating university in April with not only a degree but a high GPA, recommendation letters out the ass, and a specialization. Never in my life - up until five years ago - did I think I'd ever even be accepted to university, let alone excel at it.

Already have some leads on jobs in my field, but I will be stating in any interview I have that I'll be taking 3 weeks off to travel once I can.

The only places I've ever been to are Cuba, NYC, and Nashville. So I plan on going to Mexico to explore (no resorts) for two weeks, and Vegas for a week. I know that's not super imaginative but I gotta start cheap.

I'll be moving into a new apartment still likely within downtown Calgary at the end of July, assuming I secure a job here.

And if I don't find a job in Calgary, I'll be finding one in the GGH or SWBC, so either way it's gonna be amazing.

Basically I'll finally be starting my life! It's very exciting.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2020, 9:51 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

I hate to be a Debbie Downer, but when things open back up I'll be mostly taking part in the planning of, and eventually attending, some funerals.

Hopefully this spring or in the summer at the latest.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2020, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Don’t you need to be a vintner or distiller to have a retail outlet in Ontario, or has there been a change in the rules?
The new rule is that any restaurant/pub/café, etc with any liquor licence immediately gets an off-sales licence now too, as I understand it. So I guess this new bottle shop must also be planning some kind of bar component. Perhaps with the pandemic, a number of bottle shops will open that are technically bars but won't have any indoor component for the time being. Will be interesting to see if they successfully get their licence.

I believe New Brunswick has instituted the same policy. Small bright spots in a dark year!

Old Posted Dec 30, 2020, 12:13 AM

my cancer came back this past month so i just wanna be healthy and have normal distractions to keep me content like CFL football, the James Bond movie ect.. and no more media panic bullshit every night that makes you feel even more depressed and anxious if things will ever get better.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2020, 1:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
my cancer came back this past month so i just wanna be healthy and have normal distractions to keep me content like CFL football, the James Bond movie ect.. and no more media panic bullshit every night that makes you feel even more depressed and anxious if things will ever get better.
I am sorry to learn that, thurmas, and I wish you well.

For me, steady as she goes until at least mid-year (and beyond, I suspect) and then family visits, a couple of weeks in London (the one not in Ontario), and planning for my winter travel.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2020, 8:32 AM

Finishing up my deployment to Bahrain this summer and then doing all the post deployment leave and getting ready to retire from the RCN in November. Plan to buy a motorbike and travel the continent (if they allow us), reconnect with my adult kids and extended family and then see what I can do with the funds provided for post-military education (its a lot of money). One thing I know I won't be doing is putting on the urban uniform and working in a cubicle. Fuck That!!!!

Thurmas, sad to hear of the return of the big "C" stay strong brother, we need our CFL!!!

Old Posted Dec 30, 2020, 8:56 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

We’ve been living almost normally since late June/July. Since then COVID has been under control, I’ve been back in the office, my circle of regular contacts has included most of the people it usually does. So ramping up isn’t really the right phrasing for what I’m looking forward to in 2021.

That said, I miss dancing in a crowded club. I’m looking forward to a good night out when it’s all over. I’ll definitely go to a movie with my mother, who loves it (not my thing, so I usually declined). I want to travel again. So grateful we wrapped up Ireland and Scotland a few months before the lockdown. I’ll probably join Mom for one of her annual pilgrimages to Broadway.

This was the first year in a decade that I took more than one week off in a row. I get an obscene amount of vacation so I’ll be doing that annually from now on, if approved.

Lockdown was rough. Became wholly and completely dependent on alcohol, with the obvious result that comes from marinating yourself in a depressant. Had a truly awful boss temporarily, and my impression of that working relationship has only worsened with time and therapy. Truly, objectively, I wasn’t in the wrong - which is hard for me to say because I’m by nature very generous and empathetic, an “it takes two” kind of person. Nope. New boss for several weeks now and I once again love going to work. And now I have the skills to hold on to my professional confidence and sense of worth no matter who I’m dealing with.

I’m in a great place mentally. I feel back to myself, like I did before moving out west (which was really my first encounter with unhappiness that spiralled into something darker). I’m just... deeply content and satisfied. Happy. Grateful. So all I need now is for the world to open up again and get out there and enjoy more of it.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2020, 11:52 AM
be nice to the crackheads

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
Ah man. I'm sorry to hear this. I hope it goes away again promptly.

2020 was a pretty rough year for me. I moved to a new country shortly before everything went south, and was only planning on staying for a few months. I wasn't able to work, and all of my gigs back in China had to be cancelled due to me not being able to enter the country. Because of the lockdowns, I didn't get to develop any sort of social circle here, so it was a pretty lonely time. Plus our cat passed away which was really tough for us.

2021 looks a lot better. I'll be leaving Korea for Europe. I can't wait.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2020, 4:52 PM

Looking forward to going out to bars, being with people, and just doing stuff again. I've been lucky enough to keep working throughout the year so have a bit of money saved up which I'll probably go through pretty quickly in the new year going out to bars and restaurants and trips with friends once things return to normal. I think post-pandemic I'll probably be more social than before, at least in the short-medium term.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2020, 5:03 PM

Will be trying to do my best at the college this spring...and I hope we'll finally get back to school in person.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2020, 5:04 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrAnKs View Post
When I try to translate ''Ramp up'' to French I get ''Montée en puissance''. What does Ramp up means exactly?
Plan de reprise des activités ?

Old Posted Dec 30, 2020, 5:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Plan de reprise des activités ?
Merci! J'ai lu les premiers commentaires et j'ai fini par comprendre. J'ai modifié mon message en conséquence

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada