HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Closed Thread

Old Posted Oct 26, 2012, 3:06 AM

The Islanders heading to Brooklyn will also boost HRR, as I cannot imagine the Islanders in Nassau Country were a big revenue team. That's good news for the rest of the NHL's member clubs. As an interesting aside, it is my understanding that the Barclay's Center - for hockey - will seat less then the MTS Centre. Never thought Winnipeg and New York City would have the leagues two smallest venues.

Next order of business - getting the Coyotes to Quebec City.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2012, 3:13 AM
EVDS MPlan Grad

I'm not really missing the NHL much, but we have an AHL team in town that were division champs last season.

If the big guys get on the ice I'll certainly watch, but until then they can do whatever the hell they want. I'm not on their side this time around.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2012, 2:38 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreal View Post
it is my understanding that the Barclay's Center - for hockey - will seat less then the MTS Centre. Never thought Winnipeg and New York City would have the leagues two smallest venues.
Currently, yes. Apparently there are plans to bring it up to 15,000 or so, which is right there with the MTS Centre. Your point still stands, and I'm with you - NYC will have the smallest (or second-smallest) rink in the NHL.

To those of us following hockey economics closely over the past decade, this is less of a surprise than it seems. But yeah - looking at it from a 1980s/90s perspective - holy crap, eh?

Old Posted Oct 26, 2012, 3:19 PM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreal View Post
Next order of business - getting the Coyotes to Quebec City.
I suspect that Phoenix won't move until three cities (Edmonton, Calgary, Detroit) get new buildings going. Phoenix has only been in its building for 10 years and would send a bad precedent to communities who would be funding it and the arena operators.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2012, 4:40 PM
DRINK

I'm missing making fun of the sedin sisters.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2012, 12:12 AM

Great Canadian match up on Hockey Night In Canada tonight with the Canucks, riding a 10 game winning streak, vs the Habs. Schneider's going for a record breaking 6th consecutive shut-out, where hopes to break Brian Boucher's record of 5, from the 2003-04 season. Go Canucks!!

Old Posted Nov 8, 2012, 4:44 PM
Editor

I was wondering iof this was going to happen. With the Nets moving there, it seemed like a good fit for the Islanders. I would love this myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
The Islanders are moving to Brooklyn in 2015. The league says they want the team to keep the name, but Brooklyn is where it's at - it's much more marketable. A hockey jersey with Brooklyn emblazoned on the front of it would be very popular. The area around The Barclay's Centre is pretty cool as well.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/...rles-wang.html

Old Posted Nov 8, 2012, 4:47 PM
Editor

Quote:
Great Canadian match up on Hockey Night In Canada tonight with the Canucks, riding a 10 game winning streak, vs the Habs. Schneider's going for a record breaking 6th consecutive shut-out, where hopes to break Brian Boucher's record of 5, from the 2003-04 season. Go Canucks!!
Calgary and Vancouver must be the hottest teams in the league. Calgary is riding a 12 game win streak, and Kipper has 8 shut outs in his last 9 games..... the only non shut out game was when the Flames beat the Oilers 15-14. Hall scored 10 goals and Iggy scored 9...

Old Posted Nov 8, 2012, 9:31 PM
ハルウララ

Islanders moving to Brooklyn...I just wish they would change to Brooklyn Americans rather than keeping the Islanders.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2012, 1:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregHickman View Post
Islanders moving to Brooklyn...I just wish they would change to Brooklyn Americans rather than keeping the Islanders.
Ehhhh I wouldn't be too big on a former cup dynasty changing their name with the move.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2012, 8:38 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Architect View Post
Ehhhh I wouldn't be too big on a former cup dynasty changing their name with the move.
Have the Islanders been even remotely relevant since that dynasty?

Old Posted Nov 27, 2012, 5:38 PM

Nordiques Nation facebook page

Old Posted Nov 27, 2012, 5:45 PM
digital b0y

Good stuff

a political policy characterized by inertia and antipathy to change

Old Posted Nov 27, 2012, 7:13 PM
EVDS MPlan Grad

I'm kinda pleased with how little people care about the lockout. If it weren't for TSN, I wouldn't even hear any discussion of it. And many friends and I are way into hockey! We have an AHL team here in town, and the CHL is always entertaining. Canadians who really enjoy the sport don't need the NHL.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2012, 9:00 PM
Go Chiefs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayreonaut View Post
I'm kinda pleased with how little people care about the lockout. If it weren't for TSN, I wouldn't even hear any discussion of it. And many friends and I are way into hockey! We have an AHL team here in town, and the CHL is always entertaining. Canadians who really enjoy the sport don't need the NHL.
Me too, except I have taken a break from hockey... I think football might become my favorite sport by the end of the year.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2012, 9:17 PM
Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Architect View Post
It would be nice to keep a name tied to those cups, but somehow 'Brooklyn Islanders' sounds wrong to me....even though Brooklyn is technically part of the same Island.
I think having the team in Brooklyn would be awesome though.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2012, 9:18 PM
Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayreonaut View Post
It's funny you say that. I was thinking the same thing. As much as I love hockey, it's been kind of a nice break.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2012, 2:53 AM
Go Chiefs!

WTF...!!!

Markov scores KHL version of Gordie Howe hat-trick

Quote:
He didn't even hurt his hands. Canadiens defenseman Andrei Markov scored a goal, an assist, and in the final minute got into a fight ("4 minutes for fisticuffs" according to the official KHL game report) in a win for his temporary team Vityaz.
http://www.cjad.com/Blog/HabsNews/bl...tryID=10473956

I mean that's the last guy I would be expecting a Gordie Howe hat-trick from.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2012, 3:07 AM

I miss hockey so much that I'll cling to any glimmer of hope - TEAM 1040 here in Vancouver is rumouring that a deal is close at hand in Boston. Since the player/owner meeting isn't til tomorrow, it seems hard to believe.

Do I want the Canucks to win the Stanley Cup in an asterisk season? I'd take it, but the Canuck haters would never let that go.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2012, 4:06 AM
EVDS MPlan Grad

Quote:
I miss hockey so much that I'll cling to any glimmer of hope
Watch the Giants.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada