HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Dec 27, 2013, 12:27 AM

Random pics from today

Elan Westside - looks better in person.

Walton Westside

College Football HOF

Skyhouse II deck - Its far better than the first Skyhouse but it still seems like a half-hearted attempt to beautify the deck especially considering that it consumes most of the block.

As Ponce City Market gets closer to completion, I'm reminded of what a great redevelopment White Provisions turned out to be.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2014, 3:52 PM

Happy 2014 everyone. With the new year upon us, what construction projects in the greater Atlanta area are scheduled to be started this year?

The ones I know of:

33 Peachtree Pl
The building on Spring and Peachtree Pl (construction has actually started on this)
Skyhouse Buckhead

Possibly Seventh Midtown (?)

What else?

Last edited by ATLSkyPalaceOwner; Jan 1, 2014 at 5:29 PM.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2014, 6:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLSkyPalaceOwner View Post
Happy 2014 everyone. With the new year upon us, what construction projects in the greater Atlanta area are scheduled to be started this year?

The ones I know of:

33 Peachtree Pl
The building on Spring and Peachtree Pl (construction has actually started on this)
Skyhouse Buckhead

Possibly Seventh Midtown (?)

What else?
Falcons Stadium (The Nest) breaks ground March 31.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2014, 8:05 PM

It was reported the project on 13th street "Yoo on the Park" would start early this year.

Alexan at Krog (next to Krog Street Market)

Hyatt House next to the Aquarium

Last edited by smArTaLlone; Jan 2, 2014 at 2:44 AM.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2014, 1:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfred E Neuman View Post
Falcons Stadium (The Nest) breaks ground March 31.
wow, that quickly?? i thought we were a couple of years out from that.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2014, 1:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
wow, that quickly?? i thought we were a couple of years out from that.
Nah, keep in mind, they want it to be ready for the 2017 season.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2014, 1:17 AM

• 550 Pharr will not be apartments. According to the Business Chronicle, the sheer number of apartments in the pipeline scared away investors.

• Downtown Hyatt House breaks ground

Quote:
    Construction has begun on a new Hyatt House hotel near the Georgia Aquarium.

A joint venture between Ameripark CEO Chip Patterson and Rhode Island-based TPG Hospitality on Jan. 2 announced work has started on the 150-room hotel at Ivan Allen Boulevard and Luckie Street.
    http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/r...own-hyatt.html

• Updated rendering of Station 16 Steel Works

Old Posted Jan 9, 2014, 6:25 PM

Atlanta Daily World building sold; retail, housing planned

http://www.ajc.com/news/business/atl...using-p/ncgcp/
Quote:
The Auburn Avenue building at 145 Auburn Ave. that once housed the Atlanta Daily World, an 86-year-old African-American-owned daily newspaper company, was sold Wednesday to a developer who plans to restore it to retail and residential space.

Gene Kansas said he plans to “restore the building and bring it back to its former vibrancy.” Kansas told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution construction on the mixed-use development will begin within six months.

“It’s great for the historic district,” Kansas said of his plans. “It’s a small project with great potential,” Kansas said.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2014, 4:13 AM

Midtown DRC agenda for Tuesday, January14, 2014

Follow up applications will be heard for 1138 Peachtree, 782 Peachtree (Peachtree & 5th), and 1301 Peachtree Street (One Museum Place).

And the new stuff...
  • NEW APPLICATION: 734 & 744 Spring Street
    Project Type: Renovation of former Arby’s restaurant into a new Starbuck’s coffee shop. The scope includes both exterior and interior modifications and the provision of drive-thru service.

• NEW APPLICATION: 811 Peachtree Street
    Project Type: New construction of a 35-story mixed-use project at the SE corner of Peachtree Street and 6th Street. The scope includes 391 apartment units and 25,000 SF of ground floor retail. Eight levels of structured parking will accommodate 550+ vehicles.

• NEW APPLICATION: Amli Arts Center
    Project Type: New construction of a 30-story apartment tower with 351 units and 3,400 SF of retail. Located on the former Trump site, the project has frontage on both West Peachtree and Spring Street. Parking (551 spaces) will be provided in a separate precast parking structure fronting on Spring.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2014, 5:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smArTaLlone View Post
Follow up applications will be heard for 1138 Peachtree, 782 Peachtree (Peachtree & 5th), and 1301 Peachtree Street (One Museum Place).

And the new stuff...
  • NEW APPLICATION: 734 & 744 Spring Street
    Project Type: Renovation of former Arby’s restaurant into a new Starbuck’s coffee shop. The scope includes both exterior and interior modifications and the provision of drive-thru service.

• NEW APPLICATION: 811 Peachtree Street
    Project Type: New construction of a 35-story mixed-use project at the SE corner of Peachtree Street and 6th Street. The scope includes 391 apartment units and 25,000 SF of ground floor retail. Eight levels of structured parking will accommodate 550+ vehicles.

• NEW APPLICATION: Amli Arts Center
    Project Type: New construction of a 30-story apartment tower with 351 units and 3,400 SF of retail. Located on the former Trump site, the project has frontage on both West Peachtree and Spring Street. Parking (551 spaces) will be provided in a separate precast parking structure fronting on Spring.
Whoa, those are some big new projects for Midtown. I'm really excited about the 6th & Peachtree project, it's great to see investment making its way south down Peachtree and with 25k of retail.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2014, 8:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clexmond View Post
Whoa, those are some big new projects for Midtown. I'm really excited about the 6th & Peachtree project, it's great to see investment making its way south down Peachtree and with 25k of retail.
So am I.

On location alone, this is already my favorite proposal in Midtown right now. It will fill in one the gaps break up the urban fabric on Peachtree and it is apparently being designed by Perkins and Will.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2014, 2:04 AM

@smArTaLlone - can you get the high quality renderings from the 811 project? I went to the DRC and got some low quality pictures but they don't really do it justice.

Here's what I got:

http://forum.atlantadev.com/#!/construction

The 1138 architecture is less inspired than I would have hoped for a 50 story building. The AMLI project did a nice skin on the parking deck, but the retail incorporated is disappointing, particularly the fact that they chose not to include any retail on West Peachtree. JLB got its requests for variances denied unanimously. I think the DRC was pretty frustrated that the developer hasn't put retail in the Peachtree & 5th corner despite coming back to the DRC month after month and hearing the same complaints. Still no decent renderings of the One Museum Place project.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2014, 2:52 AM

I can't understand why the insistence for more retail. Just drive around in Midtown and look at all the empty spaces. It's your dad's chevy. Nothing will discourage investment faster than mandating more of what's not needed.
http://www.businessinsider.com/round...aughter-2014-1

Old Posted Jan 15, 2014, 1:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarod Apperson View Post
@smArTaLlone - can you get the high quality renderings from the 811 project? I went to the DRC and got some low quality pictures but they don't really do it justice.

Here's what I got:

The 1138 architecture is less inspired than I would have hoped for a 50 story building. The AMLI project did a nice skin on the parking deck, but the retail incorporated is disappointing, particularly the fact that they chose not to include any retail on West Peachtree. JLB got its requests for variances denied unanimously. I think the DRC was pretty frustrated that the developer hasn't put retail in the Peachtree & 5th corner despite coming back to the DRC month after month and hearing the same complaints. Still no decent renderings of the One Museum Place project.
Do you have any pictures for the 1138 and AMLI projects you can put up? All I see is the 811 pictures.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2014, 1:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertarian View Post
I can't understand why the insistence for more retail. Just drive around in Midtown and look at all the empty spaces. It's your dad's chevy. Nothing will discourage investment faster than mandating more of what's not needed.
Isn't that argument similar to asking why we bother placing caps on parking or requiring certain sidewalk widths despite not having significant pedestrian traffic? These zoning regulations are in place to encourage the area to become what we want it, not to keep it the same. If that means some empty storefronts for a bit and a few less pedestrian-unfriendly fortresses built in Midtown I'm comfortable with that.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2014, 2:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL_J View Post
Do you have any pictures for the 1138 and AMLI projects you can put up? All I see is the 811 pictures.
I didn't get pictures of the others. Sorry.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2014, 4:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertarian View Post
I don't really see that many empty retail spots in midtown. Theres a few in some of the newer buildings but a lot of those have already been leased but the build-out has yet to start.

When I read things like reaching 95% apartments leased and 90% of retail space occupied so fast it's considered "unprecedented" it makes me think you're just making stuff up.
http://atlanta.curbed.com/archives/2...recedented.php

Can you site any data other than how you feel when you drive around that backs up your claims that retail requirements discourages investment?

Old Posted Jan 15, 2014, 4:30 PM

The empty retail in Midtown is primarily in the buildings of one developer (Novare) which has empty retail because it refuses to put any $ into making the spaces appealing. Thankfully Jamestown bought the Metropolis retail, and Loudermilk has bought the Viewpoint retail. Once some investment is made in aesthetics, I am sure they will be able to attract tenants.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2014, 4:46 PM

Does anyone have a tally of the retail space (existing and planned) for Midtown? It's gotta be huge.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2014, 6:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarod Apperson View Post

Here's what I got:

Thanks for the info. I haven't seen anything other than what you've shared.

Really excited about the 811 Peachtree project and I hope the developers can pull it off. I've been hoping for something to break the rectangular residential box mode and this would be a great addition to Midtown.

Did you see the Amli rendering and what were your thoughts?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta