HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

501 Congress in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Austin Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Aug 3, 2009, 10:31 PM
Going Up ___///|||

Diffrent from usual, I think this building might of fit better in Austin had it kept its old height and design, 705 feet.
A Note:
New Tallest In Austin
"Curiosity killed the cat"

Old Posted Aug 4, 2009, 5:42 AM
Hopeful Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrikearghast View Post
I live just south of Austin, and this is a really... REALLY ugly building. I can't stand structures that 'flare' or 'twist,' and unfortunately that seems to be the trend in modern high-rise construction. Seeing as Austin is a high-growth area, I remain cautiously optimistic that something taller (and more tasteful) will place this thing in shadow within a few years.
Are you talking about the old rendering?

Old Posted Aug 4, 2009, 2:01 PM
Going Up ___///|||

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thymant
Are you talking about the old rendering?
I think the new one, with the "twist". How it kind of swirls.
A Note:
New Tallest In Austin
"Curiosity killed the cat"

Old Posted Dec 29, 2009, 11:31 PM

In two minds about T. Stacy Tower

Let me begin by saying that I really think the city of Austin is long overdue for some Downtown development, notably some tall buildings. I really don't think we should build up the skyline to the point of Dallas or Houston or any of those legitimately big cities, but I think we should have a few striking skyscrapers that really put the place on the map, sort of to compliment our small city feel and our artsy culture. I don't know, just me.
So that being said, I think it's great that they're proposing a dramatic 830-foot tower for Downtown. Increase the urban density of the city's core with more condos, build up the skyline and put Austin on the list of tallest buildings in the U.S. in one fell swoop! That's the way to do it, money for something and your recognition for free, or whatever.
Now, that being said, am I the only person on this page who feels like they couldn't do a better job with the building's design? I mean honestly, look at the shape of it! Yeah it's just weird enough to go along with the spirit of Austin, but it's also just kind of unsightly. Plus that top half of the tower jutting out over the street like that would kind of give me the creeps, though may just be me.
So in summation, above all else I think it's nice that they're putting up some tall skyscraping condos, but couldn't T. Stacy & Associates give the building a better look? I don't know exactly what, just something to go along with the city better, something artsy but not necessarily postmodernist.
What do y'all think?

Old Posted Dec 30, 2009, 8:33 PM

Okay priller, I'm looking at your renderings of the Austin skyline with the T. Stacy & Associates Condo Tower. Except I'm also seeing this other building that also looks new to me.
On the last picture, start at the T. Stacy and move slowly left like an inch or two and there's this tall, dark blue, somewhat tubular structure. Which building is that?

Old Posted Dec 31, 2009, 3:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Austinite View Post
Okay priller, I'm looking at your renderings of the Austin skyline with the T. Stacy & Associates Condo Tower. Except I'm also seeing this other building that also looks new to me.
On the last picture, start at the T. Stacy and move slowly left like an inch or two and there's this tall, dark blue, somewhat tubular structure. Which building is that?
That's one of the buildings proposed for the Green development -- the former site of the Green water treatment facility.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2009, 5:40 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Hey, priller, this photograph of yours is beautiful:

Last edited by wwmiv; Apr 19, 2011 at 10:13 AM.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2009, 5:58 PM
Meh

Guys, let's stay on topic. Talking about other cities and stuff really isn't important in this thread. Only updates.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Dec 31, 2009, 8:28 PM

Just to follow up, I don't believe there has ever been a hard cap on height set to the Capitol. There is a very limited Capitol Dominance District currently that limits height within 1/4 mile of the dome, which makes sense. There was a bill introduced in the Texas Legislature in 1983 that would have capped height, but the City and the State reached a compromise that eventually produced the View Corridors. The View Corridors have worked well to allow robust downtown development while preserving an iconic image of Austin and Texas.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2010, 1:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatenIslander237 View Post
Looks like it will be a very nice project. It's interesting, I sorta feel bad that the Frost Bank Tower, which was designed to crown the skyline, has already been topped, and all these other, more cookie-cutter designs are taking over. Austin sorta reminds of Brisbane, is Australia, the way it looks along the river, and the way it's getting so many new tall buildings at once.
Yeah, Frost Bank Tower is easily one of my favorite designs in town. It's still up there, but yeah, starting to get crowded out just a bit...

Speaking of design, am I the only one (well, apart from that Austinite guy) who thinks that the design of the T. Stacy & Associates Condo Tower really is a bit odd? Not sure how I feel about how it's going to look with the rest of the buildings...

Old Posted Jan 1, 2010, 5:14 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
I actually really like the design of the building. It fits well in color with most other buildings while adding diversity in size and shape. I actually like the way it twists (it doesn't do very much in the renderings) and flares (not enough to lose a tasteful quality).

Old Posted Jan 1, 2010, 5:36 PM

I like the twist because it has motion... its not static. I also like it because its different for TX... and of course Austin. I prefer lots of architectural diversity rather than duplicate materials/finish and scale..

Old Posted Jan 1, 2010, 6:49 PM
Paradise

I think it looks great. Be a nice addition to Austin.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2010, 6:25 AM

So what's the most recent word on this project? Is it actually being considered?

Old Posted Apr 2, 2010, 1:23 PM

No, this thing is as dead as can be. Its just too expensive and serves a community that has huge supply currently.

I wouldn't expect to see this start to rise before 2015 at the earliest. And I would expect a major redesign

Old Posted Apr 3, 2010, 2:36 AM

This tower was announced in December 2004 - well before the announcements of all the other towers that got built during the boom in Austin. The fact that this didn't get financed and built during the boom makes it very suspect at best. The only thing Stacy has done since 2004 is propose a bigger tower. This is a prime site in Downtown Austin. Something will get built here, but I doubt it will be the current proposal.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2010, 1:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill Country View Post
This tower was announced in December 2004 - well before the announcements of all the other towers that got built during the boom in Austin. The fact that this didn't get financed and built during the boom makes it very suspect at best. The only thing Stacy has done since 2004 is propose a bigger tower. This is a prime site in Downtown Austin. Something will get built here, but I doubt it will be the current proposal.
this only tells part of the story. yes, it was first proposed in 12/2004, but as a 700 ft (approximately) tower. logistically, to get this tower built was extremely difficult. it meant displacing an entire company on that site into a new location, as one example. this took a very long time, over 2 years. then, as fortune had it, as tom stacy was working on getting this tower off the ground, a neighboring parcel became available and he purchased it. this was during good economic times, and he then started working on the new, bigger tower that you mentioned. the size of this new project meant more planning, red tape, yada, yada, yada. the phases of planning for this project have been extremely more difficult, especially when comparing it to, say, the austonian. i'm not necessarily advocating for tom stacy, btw. i'm just saying this project is tedious and arduous, and takes much more time than the aforementioned austonian. while i'm hopeful this project will get off the ground in the near future, i'm not going to hold my breath either. but let's not forget, stacy did get the frost bank out of the ground during bad economic times when people thought he was crazy for doing so.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2010, 11:51 PM

Any news on this?

Has anyone heard anything new on this project?

Old Posted Apr 19, 2011, 9:56 AM

This has got to be the biggest news for Downtown Austin in years. I am elated.

http://www.austintowers.net/Austin_D...to_return.html
Quote:
800 Foot 5th & Congress Super Tower to Return

We reported extensively on the original project when it was first announced. Although the details are likely to change dramatically between the first proposal and anything built today, the original plans called for a 925,000 square feet mixed use building which would be the largest downtown Austin project at nearly twice the square feet of the Frost Bank Tower. The project (rendering below) was to be designed by the world-famous architecture firm of Pelli Clarke Pelli, who also designed the Petronas Towers, once the tallest buildings in the world, and the Museum of Modern Art and Museum Tower in New York City.

http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/ne...u&ana=e_du_pub
Quote:
Two new mixed-use towers, garage planned downtown

T. Stacy & Associates and Walton Street Capital LLC announced Monday refinancing a loan that will free up cash for the project first revealed about three years ago. The pair closed on a new loan with lender Aareal Bank AG for their Bank of America Tower at 6th Street and Congress Avenue, according to a press release.
The new towers are planned for the same block bound by Brazos and 5th Street, plus a half block across the street. Construction on the first phase — the parking garage — is slated for early 2012.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/T-Stac...92195.html?x=0
Quote:
T. Stacy and Walton Street Capital Close on Refinance of Loan on Bank of America Building at 6th and Congress

T. Stacy & Associates and Walton Street Capital have closed on a new loan on its Bank of America Tower at 6th and Congress that frees up all development parcels of any debt.

The lender was Aareal Bank AG, a German bank that came to T. Stacy through mortgage banker Holliday, Fenoglio Fowler, L.P. (HFF).

"Austin has so much appeal that European banks are looking to invest," Tom Stacy said. "But they are demanding first-class projects that are well positioned for stability and growth in the future with strong sponsorship."

Old Posted Apr 20, 2011, 1:16 PM
Meh

http://www.statesman.com/blogs/conte...ress_aven.html
Quote:
Stacy refinances Congress Avenue office tower

By American-Statesman staff | Monday, April 18, 2011, 01:45 PM

Austin developer Tom Stacy has refinanced his holdings at Sixth and Congress, with a new loan from a German bank.

The new loan is for the Bank of America tower. Stacy said the move frees the other parcels he owns in the area from all debt.

Stacy long has had ambitious plans for a mixed-used project, with two towers, on the Congress Avenue block but has not yet moved ahead on them. He said he may start construction on the first phase — a parking garage — as early as next year.

Thou shall not indict

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive