HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 16, 2007, 3:21 AM
visionary

Royal Bank building on hargrave what its future?

When the Mb hydro headquaters is up running, it is said the royal bank will move from its place off hargrave and portage to MB Hydro HQ. Once that takes place what will take place in that building, will it be another empty building on portage?

Old Posted Mar 16, 2007, 4:25 AM
surely you agree with me

yup...

Old Posted Mar 16, 2007, 10:53 AM
Capitalist

The old CIBC builing .. now a Royal Bank branch will revert back to an empty building. Although with the investment the Royal made perhaps another financial comapny will move in... although that area is still a pretty dead zone.

Portage Ave still has a few blocks which need a ton of help.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2007, 12:09 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

I'm not really a big fan of hiding the bank inside a government mega structure.

I doubt this is conducive to downtown revitalization.

Last edited by Only The Lonely..; Mar 16, 2007 at 1:32 PM.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2007, 12:37 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only The Lonely.. View Post
I'm not really a big fan of hiding the bank inside a government mega structure.

I'm doubt this is conducive to downtown revitalization.
I wonder if there will be more businesses in that area after Hydro or fewer. The construction wiped out a lot of operating businesses that had survived on that block.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2007, 1:26 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

Don't get me wrong, I think the net effect from Hydro will be positive. It's just that so far it would seem that the biggest beneficiary from Hydro locating downtown is Portage Place.

If all these new Hydro workers never bother to leave the skywalk system then the point of having the tower downtown is moot.

I'm reminded of the Canwest Tower, they built the place in the early 90's and it did dick for downtown because everyone chose to hide out in the Portage & Main concourse.

Losing another viable street front business and placing it inside a mega structure won’t do much for downtowns' pedestrian culture.

I like the tower, but I think it shouldn't have had a retail component to it if the building's reason d'etre is downtown revitalization.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2007, 1:43 PM
the first stamp is free

I am pretty sure Hydro didn't want to include "commercial" as part of their project. I believe they were persuaded by the powers that be to include some retail on Portage Ave. to avoid a "dead spot" on the Avenue.

They also didn't build a company-only restaurant or gym facility in the tower because they want to maximise their employees economic benefit to the area.

The Y downtown is going to be a complete gongshow after everyone from Hydro moves downtown...

Old Posted Mar 16, 2007, 1:54 PM
Creative Accountant

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
I am pretty sure Hydro didn't want to include "commercial" as part of their project. I believe they were persuaded by the powers that be to include some retail on Portage Ave. to avoid a "dead spot" on the Avenue.

They also didn't build a company-only restaurant or gym facility in the tower because they want to maximise their employees economic benefit to the area.

The Y downtown is going to be a complete gongshow after everyone from Hydro moves downtown...

the Y downtown is already bursting at the seams. I wonder if they can expand it.

Also i noticed that the store front beside LA Connection in the Cheatam Building as I think it is now called said leased.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2007, 6:51 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post

I believe there is also a new gym in the basement of the Powerhouse Building, nextstore to the new Hydro Tower site. It should also do well with the new workers in the area. If there is enough demand for more services in the area there will be entrepeneurs looking to capitalize. Free Market expansion is good.

As far as the Royal Bank building .. it was part of the condition of the Royal Bank giving up there old branch location on Portage. They will have a new branch location in the retail section of the new tower. I fully expect that adding 2000 government workers in direct daily contact to the branch will be very good for business. Also look for Starbucks to move across the street when the new tower opens as well. The bums in Portage Place don't make a very good environment for yuppies sipping lattes.... but a tower full of suburbanites is a whole different story.

I also expect to see improvements to Portage Place retail as a result of the new workers in the area. Come to think of it there is currently no banking within Portage Place.

Things that make you go Hmmmmmmmm...

Last edited by newflyer; Mar 17, 2007 at 6:36 PM.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2007, 2:26 AM
visionary

the present RBC building its not historical or is it?

Old Posted Mar 19, 2007, 1:34 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by viperred88 View Post
the present RBC building its not historical or is it?
I doubt it as it was built in the 60's.

Calgary has two almost identical former CIBC buildings in its downtown .. both have since been converted to restautants. One is the Chicago Chophouse .. one of the best steak houses in town. Very Goooood.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan