HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Closed Thread

Old Posted Oct 30, 2011, 2:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkhitektor View Post
It's a good thing none of us were around for the construction of the SL Temple. Can you imagine checking the forum for 40 years to see the progress?
Tmac's weekly photo updates would consist of a single new piece of stone being placed.

www.UtahProjects.info

Old Posted Oct 30, 2011, 11:53 PM

But the photography would be exquisite.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2011, 12:53 AM

old newspaper clippings of proposed and built Salt Lake architecture

Old Posted Oct 31, 2011, 6:28 AM

I cant be the only one thats wondered about this garage/house in the alley between Main and Regent Street. This live/work space is available at 149 S Main. I think SLC needs more urban living like this.

More pictures at http://cityhomecollective.com/blog/t...f-both-worlds/

Image from city home collective

Old Posted Nov 1, 2011, 8:00 PM

That place has been on the market for years. I wonder if anyone's living in it. With that kind of demand and that kind of price, I don't think we'll be seeing many more downtown residences like that for a while.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2011, 10:30 PM
BANNED

This is a little off topic but I just have a few questions about some SLC projects and was hoping that anyone on this forum might be able to answer:

1. I thought there were plans for a highrise to be built at 200 S. and State Street (where Carl's Jr. is located)? What is the status on that?

2. I know the U.S. Customs & Immigration area at the SLC airport is too small for Delta's future needs and desires, especailly around high int'l traffic hours. So I was wondering if there were plans to expand the Int'l Terminal at the airport. And does anyone have photos of what the U.S. Customs area looks like inside?

3. What are the LDS' church plans for the parking lot just north of the Little America?

4. Will the LDS church office tower ever get a new look? I personally dislike the white on the building....

Old Posted Nov 1, 2011, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornhusker View Post
This is a little off topic but I just have a few questions about some SLC projects and was hoping that anyone on this forum might be able to answer:

2. I know the U.S. Customs & Immigration area at the SLC airport is too small for Delta's future needs and desires, especailly around high int'l traffic hours. So I was wondering if there were plans to expand the Int'l Terminal at the airport. And does anyone have photos of what the U.S. Customs area looks like inside?
I should probably leave this to skyguy, but I'll give my observations as an aviation enthusiast.

I've recently been through the facility, but don't have any pictures. The facility is pretty drab, with no windows, low ceilings and nothing to speak of on the walls. There are about a half-dozen booths for passport control as you come down the stairs from the concourse level. After passport control there are 2 baggage carousels similar in size to the carousels in terminal 2. Beyond the baggage carousels you walk past a podium where customs officials may or may not ask to inspect your bags. Then you walk out into the public area of the international terminal where you can either walk out the front door or re-check you bags and go up the escalator to the TSA checkpoint.

Yes, it is small, but I don't think there is such a thing yet as "high int'l traffic hours." The facility only processes a few flights per day. The queuing area prior to passport control is rather limited, and could be overwhelmed by a full passenger load on a plane any bigger than the A330, which is currently the largest plane in regular service there (Tokyo flight).

I think that a bigger concern may be the gate configuration. I think that there are only 3 gates right now with a connection to the customs facility, so all inbound international flights must park at one of those gates. But those gates don't seem particularly well suited to larger aircraft. When the 767 from Paris arrives, it pulls into the gate diagonally, blocking access to the neighboring gate. I think the A330 from Tokyo does the same. The smaller planes coming in from Mexico have less of a problem. I imagine that Delta already has to plan around the gate restrictions in scheduling international flights. Everybody says that we will be seeing an all-new airport break ground in the not-too-distant future. I'm sure that we'll see upgrades in both gate configuration and customs facilities. Hopefully we'll have at least a few gates with multiple jetbridges for properly servicing the big wide-bodies.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2011, 11:08 PM
Downtown with a Family

1. I thought there were plans for a highrise to be built at 200 S. and State Street (where Carl's Jr. is located)? What is the status on that?

I think this has always been a dream site for a tower but there are no active plans for that site right now. (I think there was a big behivey post modern tower in the early 90's that had been discussed but it is long since dead)

Big plans for a whole new Airport terminal. See the transportation thread. As far as just the international/customs area I have no idea.

3. What are the LDS' church plans for the parking lot just north of the Little America?

It would be HUGE news if anyone knew the answer to that one.

4. Will the LDS church office tower ever get a new look? I personally dislike the white on the building....

While I understand you don't like the facade I believe it would be a shame to change that cladding. It is representative of its time (mid-century modern) and it is part of our architectural legacy. I would much rather see that kind of investment (e.g. to reclad a huge tower) put into building a new building (say on that parking lot above.) I for one am tired of the tearing down or stripping down of adequate buildings and redoing them or rebuilding in the same spots. Lets get some new buildings to fill in our wasteland parking lots first.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2011, 11:13 PM
BANNED

My bad. By high int'l traffic hours, I was referring from about 6 PM to about 8 PM where there can be as many has 4 flights coming in from Mexico in the winter.

I know gates D2, D4, and D6 are used for international arrivals, but I think that they should have extended it up to D8.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2011, 12:06 AM
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornhusker View Post
One of my planning classes recently had a guest speaker who works for the LDS Church. I believe he said there were no plans for that lot at this moment.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2011, 3:00 AM
Downtown with a Family

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCdude View Post
One of my planning classes recently had a guest speaker who works for the LDS Church. I believe he said there were no plans for that lot at this moment.
You missed it when he said under his breath "That I know about or am willing to divulge."

Old Posted Nov 2, 2011, 4:00 AM
A.K.A. Vigo

Seems like I read that the cladding used on the church office building was found to be unsafe after a lot of times... And they have future plans for massive renovations... Don't know if that is true or not

Old Posted Nov 2, 2011, 4:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livedowntown View Post
You missed it when he said under his breath "That I know about or am willing to divulge."
Just a quick clarification, who actually owns the property? The LDS Church or Property Reserve Inc.? I realize it is a question that some may feel is semantics, however, in reality it is not. If the Church itself owns it, then you can bet it will only be used for Church/charitable purposes (note that in Provo the LDS Church bought the adjoining property to the tabernacle NOT Property Reserve Inc.). Whereas if Property Reserve owns it, you can guarantee that it will be used for commercial purposes unless, of course, they deed some of it to the LDS Church.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2011, 10:52 AM

Salt Lake City Council gives initial nod to Broadway-style theater

By Derek P. Jensen
The Salt Lake Tribune

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/52...-bond.html.csp

It looks like a bow for Broadway.

Salt Lake City Council members took a significant but cautious step toward a new theater Tuesday, giving their initial nod to committing tax dollars for Mayor Ralph Becker’s $110 million Utah Performing Arts Center.

And they didn’t stop there. They also agreed to consider sweetening the funding pie to possibly renovate the mothballed Utah Theater, directly across Main Street from the proposed Broadway-style playhouse.

"If it doesn’t get done now," Councilman Luke Garrott said about the Utah Theater, "it’s not going to get done."...

The Salt Lake Tribune

A cutaway view, looking north, of a plan for a Broadway-style theater along Main Street in downtown Salt Lake City. (The Salt Lake Tribune)

Last edited by delts145; Nov 2, 2011 at 11:10 AM.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2011, 11:03 AM

They also agreed to consider sweetening the funding pie to possibly renovate the mothballed Utah Theater, directly across Main Street from the proposed Broadway-style playhouse.

That's good news--touring the interior of the Utah/Pantages Theater last year when it was open convinced me that it needs to be saved. I hope they can get their stars aligned and the funding in place to do this as well as the Utah Performing Arts Center on Main. Nice to see them moving forward, even if "cautiously."

Hope this doesn't remove a Convention Hotel from the conversation.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2011, 2:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedikermit View Post
They also agreed to consider sweetening the funding pie to possibly renovate the mothballed Utah Theater, directly across Main Street from the proposed Broadway-style playhouse.

That's good news--touring the interior of the Utah/Pantages Theater last year when it was open convinced me that it needs to be saved. I hope they can get their stars aligned and the funding in place to do this as well as the Utah Performing Arts Center on Main. Nice to see them moving forward, even if "cautiously."

Hope this doesn't remove a Convention Hotel from the conversation.
No, you're right, it doesn't remove a Convention Hotel from the conversation. I liked what someone said on here a little while back about how we needed to move forward with the theater first, because Sandy could steal the theater but would have a hard time stealing the convention hotel. Go theater!

Old Posted Nov 2, 2011, 4:04 PM

Another question: what about the empty lot on the northeast corner of State and 400 S? Over the years, there have been projects proposed, but they never come to fruition.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2011, 4:47 PM
West bench livin'

A large chunk of the 400 S and State St lot has now been taken up by the new Questar building. In the meanwhile, I assume that once the construction vehicles clear out, the Social Security building will once more have its public parking restored. Workforce Services also used the lot to validate parking for some folks doing business at the 140 E 300 S building.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2011, 12:43 AM
Urban Planning Proselyte

This is great news! I'm more and more bullish on these theatre improvements with each passing month.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2011, 12:52 AM
Urban Planning Proselyte

New LDS Bishop's Storehouse Building

I was walking down 400 W by the HKS Architects offices situated in the Gateway when I noticed a very mature rendering (one that looks like it could be put in a Salt Lake Tribune or KSL article) of a building that was about 6 stories tall and quite long bearing a giant Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints logo and the name Bishop's Storehouse Building. The style is contemporary, with a color scheme similar to the new Church History Library adjacent to the Conference Center.

So, would the Church put a building this nice over by the grain silos off I-15 in Welfare Square, or is this nice piece of infill going to occupy some parking lot space between the Family History Library and the Triad Center? This is indeed the big question.

If you are interested in seeing the rendering for yourself, walk past the HKS offices on the bottom floor of the Gateway Mall on 400 West and look for a cubicle closest to the windows where the rendering is on display.

Last edited by s.p.hansen; Nov 3, 2011 at 1:07 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West