HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Closed Thread

Old Posted Nov 5, 2011, 3:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livedowntown View Post
Here is approx 25 stories.

Amazing what just one tower can do for the skyline! Even if they didn`t build anymore towers besides that one in the area, the skyline would be great! Really, it only takes one or two towers to fill in the "crater." Anything after that is just bonus!

Now, if only we could expand the skyline out from east to west....

Old Posted Nov 5, 2011, 3:24 PM
Downtown with a Family

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC Rick View Post
Believe me...No one is going to mistake SLC for Dubai.
Ha ha ha - true!

Old Posted Nov 5, 2011, 3:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC Rick View Post
Believe me...No one is going to mistake SLC for Dubai.
That's a good thing.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2011, 9:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old&New View Post
That's a good thing.
Very good thing!

Old Posted Nov 5, 2011, 10:49 PM

I think something like this could be used to cover up blank walls or ugly parking ramps in downtown SLC:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvzex...eature=related" target="_blank">Video Link

Old Posted Nov 6, 2011, 12:58 PM

Long-awaited bike and pedestrian path opens on Salt Lake's west side

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7...west-side.html

Molly Farmer, Deseret News

SALT LAKE CITY — City officials and west side residents Saturday cheered the official opening of the 9Line Corridor, a bike and pedestrian path connecting the west side of Salt Lake with east side along 900 South.

The 10-year project was a collaborative effort between the city and Union Pacific in addition to committed residents, according to leaders at Saturday's ribbon cutting...

Old Posted Nov 6, 2011, 6:57 PM

On that thought heres something I saw on msnbc:

The best cities to live car-free in America

8. Salt Lake City, Utah
Transit coverage: 89 percent (8th highest)
Service frequency (minutes): 8.5 (11th lowest)
Jobs reachable in 90 minutes: 58.9 percent (2nd highest)
Walk score: 57.6 (29th highest)
Commuters who bike: 0.78 percent (17th highest)

Out of 100 most populous US cities, SLC ranked 8th by their methods. Not too bad!

Old Posted Nov 6, 2011, 10:54 PM

Old Posted Nov 7, 2011, 4:15 AM

West Temple is so mercilessly wide!

Old Posted Nov 7, 2011, 4:23 AM
Lurker

The rising steel for the Federal Courthouse is very exciting because I still don't know what to expect. I feel that the renderings haven't given me a good idea of the scale of the project. It looks as if we're only seeing 6 of the 10 above-ground floors at this time.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2011, 7:53 AM
The Drifter

Some of the floors seem to be much higher than the usual height for an office style building.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2011, 3:55 PM
Downtown with a Family

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenF View Post
Some of the floors seem to be much higher than the usual height for an office style building.
They are. Some stories are almost 20'. So a 10 story (above the ground level) building is going to feel much taller. Those pictures are only 4 of the 10.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2011, 7:04 PM

I imagine that the floors housing courtrooms will have high vaulted ceilings, while floors with nothing but office space will resemble standard office buildings. I'll reserve final judgement (no pun intended) until it's complete, but I think it is a nice contrast to the Matheson Courthouse. It is shaping up in a way that shows you can have the expected elements of a civic/judicial building (like courtrooms with vaulted ceilings) in a modern design without faux-Greek columns. I'm excited.

Can anybody tell me exactly when this design was proposed and/or finalized? I don't know the exact cost of the project, but it looks just fancy enough that I wonder if it could get approved in the current cost-slashing political climate.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2011, 7:29 PM
Downtown with a Family

Quote:
Originally Posted by redzeppelin View Post
I imagine that the floors housing courtrooms will have high vaulted ceilings, while floors with nothing but office space will resemble standard office buildings. I'll reserve final judgement (no pun intended) until it's complete, but I think it is a nice contrast to the Matheson Courthouse. It is shaping up in a way that shows you can have the expected elements of a civic/judicial building (like courtrooms with vaulted ceilings) in a modern design without faux-Greek columns. I'm excited.

Can anybody tell me exactly when this design was proposed and/or finalized? I don't know the exact cost of the project, but it looks just fancy enough that I wonder if it could get approved in the current cost-slashing political climate.
Funding was finalized during the stimulus era when a lot of money was being thrown around. Luckily for us it was funded just before the current era of cost cutting or we would have ended up with some kind of embarrassing half-a@! building.

While this building has its issues (street proximity and too much "plaza"). I love the design and agree wholeheartedly that you can have an obvious civic building, open, public, engaging, transparent, without faux-historical (fiberglass - read Matheson Courthouse) details.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2011, 3:08 AM

West side of Main between 100 and 200 South is gaining more businesses, presumably in anticipation of increased foot traffic when City Creek Center opens. Of storefronts between Utah Theatre and Gandolfo/Murphys one is operating (not sure of intended customers--Bob Marley T-shirts and peace symbol totes), one looks about to open (sports jackets in window) and one looks renovated but has no fittings yet. Michelangelos on Main (apparently related to Highland/ ex-Sugarhouse restaurant) now open in former Vienna Bistro.

The old See's spot (74 S. Main) hasn't had for-lease sign for a while. As someone often near Temple Square and sometimes answering tourist questions, I think this would be good spot for a small coffee or ice cream stall. Very few places in immediate vicinity to get a cup of tea or other light refreshment on Sundays. (Starbucks in Marriott not obvious to passerby and JB's underwhelming). The upmarket chain restaurants opening in CCC won't meet this need. Cafe at See's would be visible to wandering tourists and convenient to Trax platform.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2011, 5:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merewether View Post
West side of Main between 100 and 200 South is gaining more businesses, presumably in anticipation of increased foot traffic when City Creek Center opens. Of storefronts between Utah Theatre and Gandolfo/Murphys one is operating (not sure of intended customers--Bob Marley T-shirts and peace symbol totes), one looks about to open (sports jackets in window) and one looks renovated but has no fittings yet. Michelangelos on Main (apparently related to Highland/ ex-Sugarhouse restaurant) now open in former Vienna Bistro.
I've notice these three places on main. I passed by the Jamaican store but was hesitant to go in. The shop next to the one with sport jackets is looking very nice. Seems it will be a nice boutique. Good news for business on main.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2011, 8:43 AM

The Radisson Hotel Downtown on South Temple is undergoing a million dollar interior remodel of guest rooms, lobby, and there will be some changes to the entry, port cochere, the front awning thing. It will become a more modern hotel. I believe its only been about 5-6 years since the last remodel.

Nothing major to the outside, but at least the hideous black thing will be changed. They are re-cladding the columns, painting, adding new lighting, a new fascia, and signs.

Image from Trip Advisor

Old Posted Nov 8, 2011, 1:16 PM

Sugar House Draw marries infrastructure and design

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/52...pratt.html.csp

By Peg McEntee
Tribune Columnist

Right now, the Draw at Sugar House is a huge, muddy hole with a start on the infrastructure for a subterranean passage from Sugar House Park to Hidden Hollow.

The project has been in the works since 2003, and now a $450,000 shortfall in funding is threatening the very essence of its design, functionality and its re-creation of a vital moment in Utah’s history and culture....

Old Posted Nov 8, 2011, 4:26 PM

Those new stores along Main Street are opening up in space owned by the SLC RDA. They recently funded a renovation of the spaces and have been marketing them pretty heavily to local businesses. It is great to see new businesses opening up on Main.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2011, 5:00 PM
Downtown with a Family

That Jamaican? place is really weird. They have no sign, strange products (that serve a very narrow market) and seem like a front for some other business.

I am really glad to something on main but that store doesn't seem like it will last.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West