HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Closed Thread

Old Posted Nov 8, 2011, 5:02 PM
Downtown with a Family

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTvision View Post
Nothing major to the outside, but at least the hideous black thing will be changed. They are re-cladding the columns, painting, adding new lighting, a new fascia, and signs.
How do you know? Have you seen renderings or was there an article?

Old Posted Nov 9, 2011, 1:45 AM
A.K.A. Vigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTvision View Post
The Radisson Hotel Downtown on South Temple is undergoing a million dollar interior remodel of guest rooms, lobby, and there will be some changes to the entry, port cochere, the front awning thing. It will become a more modern hotel. I believe its only been about 5-6 years since the last remodel.

Nothing major to the outside, but at least the hideous black thing will be changed. They are re-cladding the columns, painting, adding new lighting, a new fascia, and signs.

Image from Trip Advisor
Nice! As of Friday this building will be what I see out of my living room window..

Where is this info coming from?

Old Posted Nov 9, 2011, 6:37 AM

Capitol Theatre renovation, Center for Dance get boost

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/politic...dance.html.csp

By Mike Gorrell
The Salt Lake Tribune

Ballet West officials had reason to dance Tuesday.

First, the Salt Lake County Council came through as expected, approving the allocation of $918,000 in Zoo, Arts and Parks (ZAP) tax funds to the troupe for its 2012 budget.

More important for the ballet’s long-term sustainability, council members all but approved a memorandum of understanding that assures the county would work hand in hand with the nonprofit group to renovate downtown Salt Lake City’s Capitol Theatre and to build a facility next to it that would house a "Center for Dance."...

Deseret News

Last edited by delts145; Nov 9, 2011 at 11:46 AM.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2011, 7:50 AM
Lurker

Election results are in:

Mayor: Ralph Becker has been re-elected for a second term with roughly 75% of the vote.
Council District 2: Kyle Lamalfa defeated incumbent Van Blair Turner (57% to 43%).
Council District 4: Luke Garrott has been re-elected with 77.5% of the vote.
Council District 6: Charlie Luke defeated incumbent J T Martin (61% to 39%)

http://www.abc4.com/content/news/top...HLbocFl0g.cspx

Old Posted Nov 9, 2011, 8:51 AM

Did anyone notice the news clippings that I posted regarding past projects proposed? I thought at least someone would find it interesting? One of the news clippings had renderings of the previous design for the Courthouse. There was a very good design in the early 80's of another large building that was never built. I believe it was called the Ambassador's Club. Also included were early design images of the LDS Conference Center, and the 30 and 40 story towers of the Triad Center.

Btw, I am currently doing a semi-urban grocery store. Some of you might find this interesting:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yaNX77POAlg

Last edited by Orlando; Nov 9, 2011 at 5:16 PM.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2011, 6:14 PM

Is the Ambassadors Club Building the one across the street from the Governor's Mansion, on South Temple, where the Sinclair headquarters is located?

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
Capitol Theatre renovation, Center for Dance get boost

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/politic...dance.html.csp

By Mike Gorrell
The Salt Lake Tribune

Ballet West officials had reason to dance Tuesday.

First, the Salt Lake County Council came through as expected, approving the allocation of $918,000 in Zoo, Arts and Parks (ZAP) tax funds to the troupe for its 2012 budget.

More important for the ballet’s long-term sustainability, council members all but approved a memorandum of understanding that assures the county would work hand in hand with the nonprofit group to renovate downtown Salt Lake City’s Capitol Theatre and to build a facility next to it that would house a "Center for Dance."...

Deseret News

I think we're all dancing; this is great news!

Last edited by Old&New; Nov 9, 2011 at 6:34 PM.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2011, 6:34 PM

New Life Sciences Building at BYU

Maybe a little off topic to the South, but interesting...

Quote:
BYU announces construction of new Life Sciences Building

University Communications — The Brigham Young University Board of Trustees has approved the construction of a new Life Sciences Building, to be built on the south end of campus.

The Life Sciences Building will include 265,000 square feet of teaching and research space for the College of Life Sciences and will be constructed on the hillside directly south of the John A. Widtsoe Building.

“The new Life Sciences Building will serve as a gateway for the south end of the BYU campus,” said Brian Evans, Chief Financial Officer and Administrative Vice President at BYU. “It will be a welcoming and inviting building and will include a center corridor that will lead students directly up the hill to campus.”

The Life Sciences Building will have a total of five levels, including a three-level, 250-stall parking structure that will be integrated into the building. The building will be built at the current location of the Benjamin Cluff Building, which will be razed prior to construction.

Construction will begin immediately and will be ongoing for approximately three years. The structure is estimated to be completed and occupied toward the end of 2014.

When finished, the building will include 16 teaching labs, three auditoriums, four conference rooms and more than 70 academic offices. All faculty and labs currently located in the Cluff and Widtsoe buildings will be housed in the new facility.

Following the completion of the new Life Sciences Building, the Widtsoe building will also be razed.

Okland Construction has been selected as the general contractor for the project.

In relation to the Life Sciences, the BYU Board of Trustees has also approved a 30,000-square-foot addition to the Monte L. Bean Life Sciences Museum. The addition will be built on the east side of the current museum structure and will include as its centerpiece an exhibit of birds and bird art from the collection of President Boyd K. Packer of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles.
http://universe.byu.edu/index.php/20...nces-building/

Looking Northeast

Looking Southeast

Approximate location on campus

Old Posted Nov 10, 2011, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old&New View Post

Is the Ambassadors Club Building the one across the street from the Governor's Mansion, on South Temple, where the Sinclair headquarters is located?
Nope, that's the Governors Plaza.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2011, 3:13 AM

Ambassadors club

Original Ambassadors Club was 145 S. 500 East (about where Oasis Cafe is). I believe this building was originally intended as a refuge for polygamist wives.
http://content.lib.utah.edu/u?/USHS_Class,19534 . Photo held by Utah State Historical Society Research Center.

BTW, this image is from the Mountain West Digital Library which has old photographs and maps of likely interest to some readers of this forum. Sanborn fire insurance maps (ca. 1880 -1950) show footprint , construction material, and use of each building in built up areas.

www.mwdl.org -- also linked from most Utah college libraries' webpages.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2011, 4:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stenar View Post
Nope, that's the Governors Plaza.
Yes, I meant to ask if the proposed Ambassador's Club Building became Governors Plaza. The rendering Orlando posted looks very similar...

Old Posted Nov 10, 2011, 5:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post

I bumped this forward for further interest.

If you look at the third article down, it shows the Governors Plaza with two photos at the bottom. Then, on the top right side was the proposed Ambassador's Club building. I really like the design. That would have been a stellar building to have in Salt Lake City, IMO.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2011, 6:11 AM
BANNED

Great stuff Orlando

Old Posted Nov 10, 2011, 7:12 AM
Lurker

I was wondering what news clippings you were talking about. Nice find!

Old Posted Nov 10, 2011, 9:42 PM

Conference Center

It looks like the original design of the LDS Conference Center had more windows on the south elevation. Seems like that would've looked nicer, less like Lenin's tomb.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2011, 10:33 PM
farmerboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stenar View Post
It looks like the original design of the LDS Conference Center had more windows on the south elevation. Seems like that would've looked nicer, less like Lenin's tomb.
"Like"

Old Posted Nov 10, 2011, 10:37 PM

Does anybody remember when they were first discussing designs for a "new tabernacle"--that ultimately became the Conference Center--and they were talking about a massive concrete dome? More egg-shaped than most domes...I remember reading an interview with the firm that was pushing the LDS Church to go that direction, but it was definitely sometime back in the 20th Century. I don't know if it ever got as far as renderings, but I'll take the Lenin's Tomb look over the L'eggs container.

Now if they'd just re-open the roof gardens to the public...

Old Posted Nov 10, 2011, 10:40 PM

Haha! Although, googling "LDS Conference Center design dome" brought me back to this same thread, and Farmer Boy's posts about Albert Speer's designs for the Nazi capital.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...69428&page=295

I'm singing "The Circle of Life" to the tune of "Deutschland Uber Alles" and "I Love to See the Temple." Best mash-up ever.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2011, 10:44 PM
farmerboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedikermit View Post
Haha! Although, googling "LDS Conference Center design dome" brought me back to this same thread, and Farmer Boy's posts about Albert Speer's designs for the Nazi capital.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...69428&page=295

I'm singing "The Circle of Life" to the tune of "Deutschland Uber Alles" and "I Love to See the Temple." Best mash-up ever.
Haha, this is awesome!

Old Posted Nov 10, 2011, 10:46 PM
farmerboy

Eastside Apartments

It looks like the Eastside Apartments or "Emigration Court Phase III" is a go also. They were excavating the property yesterday and this sign was posted out front! Very excited about this development, it will greatly enhance the area which was previously feeling pretty run-down.

I apologize for the photo quality.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2011, 10:50 PM

Where are those, Farmerboy?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West