HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 7:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WpG_GuY View Post
Great news for Winnipeg’s economy: Parian Logistics Inc., an affiliate of Stern Partners Inc., announces new distribution centre for @WarehouseOne, Ricki’s, Bootlegger, and Cleo on 28.6 acre property in southwest Winnipeg.
Glad to see the old Truserv warehouse will be put to use. It's actually kind of a cool looking building, for what it is.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 8:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I noticed an interesting little tidbit... the Law Society of Manitoba is moving from its longtime Kennedy St. address to this building on St. Mary Ave.

Their old building on Kennedy St., next to the Medical Arts Building, is on the market now.

Are they taking the main floor space or just upper floors? That unit beside Carbone has been empty for a long time. I don't know much about how they operate but I would have thought it was good for them to be right near the Law Courts.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 8:25 PM
Formerly rypinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Are they taking the main floor space or just upper floors? That unit beside Carbone has been empty for a long time. I don't know much about how they operate but I would have thought it was good for them to be right near the Law Courts.
I believe the unit on the left is becoming a taco place, based on the last time I walked by.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 8:28 PM

^Oh right, forgot about that as the signs went up so long ago haha, kinda thought maybe it was dead.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 4:59 PM

Freep reporting Stern Partners consolidating operation at formers Lowes building. 200 new jobs. Yay!

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 5:06 PM
Ignore these four words.

Don't really want to rain your parade but the 200 new jobs created by that will only replace the other 200 that were lost when the warehouse closed. Still good though, don't get me wrong.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 7:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG View Post
Don't really want to rain your parade but the 200 new jobs created by that will only replace the other 200 that were lost when the warehouse closed. Still good though, don't get me wrong.
They're also moving the HQ here the article said.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 8:56 PM

Quote:
They're also moving the HQ here the article said.
Awesome.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 9:17 PM

Haven't seen anything in the news release or media about Stern Partners relocating. They are in Vancouver and the President lives there. The companies moving in are affiliates of their's and I believe already based in Winnipeg.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 10:05 PM

CBC is reporting "the property will be the future head offices and distribution centre for Warehouse One and Ricki's, as well as the distribution centre for Bootlegger and Cleo."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manito...704000?cmp=rss

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
CBC is reporting "the property will be the future head offices and distribution centre for Warehouse One and Ricki's, as well as the distribution centre for Bootlegger and Cleo."

Having read the article and finding out the building became vacant as a result of Lowes shutting down the TruServ Canada/Ace Canada head office and distribution center and moved those jobs elsewhere in Canada, I'll be sure not to give Lowes any of my business.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 1:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownBooster View Post
Having read the article and finding out the building became vacant as a result of Lowes shutting down the TruServ Canada/Ace Canada head office and distribution center and moved those jobs elsewhere in Canada, I'll be sure not to give Lowes any of my business.
Likewise. Heinz and then Kraft have been on my list for a few years now too. Certainly Berkshire Hathaway and 3G Capitol and ANYTHING they touch. Warren Buffet you know. Hard to believe he's still alive.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 2:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post

Yeah, it's basically a consolidation in one location of their existing Winnipeg operations. The new jobs are coming available because they are closing a warehouse in Laval.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 6:37 PM

In terms of Stern Partners considering Warehouse One and Ricki's already run operations out of Winnipeg I think once consolidation and operating efficiencies are factored in the net job increase will be near zero.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 7:01 PM

Well, it's being framed from them that the 160 jobs in Laval are being transferred to Winnipeg so there will be net job increase for the city, and net job loss for Laval.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2018, 10:24 PM

Skip on an international hiring spree

Old Posted Jun 24, 2018, 4:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg_Guy View Post
Skip on an international hiring spree
They've been doing that for about a year. There's just not nearly enough trained developers in Winnipeg, which is why Skip and Bold are now working with RRC and the government to develop new software engineering programs. They're very active in Toronto, India, and Australia right now as well.

The talent pool is almost non-existent now here because of those 2 big players – so if they want to grow, and Winnipeg wants to keep growing it's role as a tech hub, we need to shift education to that NOW. I believe that's a big component of the RRC Innovation Centre as well.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2018, 8:23 PM

Maybe we’ll get some Brazilian talent for the CPL team

Old Posted Jun 24, 2018, 9:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ando View Post
Maybe we’ll get some Brazilian talent for the CPL team
Team has to be 75% Canadian

Old Posted Jun 24, 2018, 9:41 PM
Armchair urbanist

Quote:
They've been doing that for about a year. There's just not nearly enough trained developers in Winnipeg, which is why Skip and Bold are now working with RRC and the government to develop new software engineering programs. They're very active in Toronto, India, and Australia right now as well.

The talent pool is almost non-existent now here because of those 2 big players – so if they want to grow, and Winnipeg wants to keep growing it's role as a tech hub, we need to shift education to that NOW. I believe that's a big component of the RRC Innovation Centre as well.
There's a talent pool, it's just very shallow I've been head hunted on Linked In multiple times in the past year.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan