HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Closed Thread

Old Posted Nov 14, 2011, 6:27 PM

I was out walking yesterday and noticed a couple new developments just starting on the west side.

One is the new Biomat Building on North Temple between 600 W and 700 W which is going to be built just to the west of the old building. I saw a design drawing of it at a community council meeting a few months back but forgot to take a picture. They have taken out the asphalt and have started prepping for construction.

The other is Rendon Terrace Apartments, which will be a 63 unit senior citizen apartments. They have also started prepping the ground. Below is a picture of the sign at the site--200 N between 500 W and 600 W.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2011, 7:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCdude View Post

Why would they be fighting with the Historic Landmark Commission? It's just an empty lot, innit?
600 East is in the Central City Historic District, and the design they initially proposed did not fit within historic district guidelines for compatible infill... at all. And the numerous revisions didn't really, either.

From what I've seen, the basic problem is that Emigration Court wanted multiple stories (5-6) along the street front, rather than the more historically appropriate 2-to-3 stories along the street with 5-6 stories stepped back. I think historically sensitive materials were also a concern, given Emigration Court's fondness for beige stucco.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2011, 8:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stayinginformed View Post
One is the new Biomat Building on North Temple between 600 W and 700 W which is going to be built just to the west of the old building. I saw a design drawing of it at a community council meeting a few months back but forgot to take a picture. They have taken out the asphalt and have started prepping for construction.
I was going to ask whether it was going to look anything like the one they recently built in Layton, but realized while googling for a picture of it that the one in Layton is a BioLife, not a BioMat. The one in Layton has to be the nicest looking plasma donation center anywhere on earth. While it was under construction I assumed it was going to be a law office or something:

Old Posted Nov 14, 2011, 9:11 PM

From what I remember of the design I saw of the new biomat building, it looked pretty nice.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2011, 6:28 AM

The new Salt Lake County District Attorneys office at 616 South State Street.
just south of the Grand America hotel.

The SLC planning division will be having an open house for this project on 11-17-2011 to discuss the site plan, and design.
6 stories, and it will have surface parking behind it.

I cant look at it too long or I start to feel a bit queezy.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2011, 6:30 AM

I LOVE IT!!!

Old Posted Nov 15, 2011, 6:40 AM
The Drifter

I like it. Salt Lake City sure is adding a lot of beautiful modern designs to that area. City Library, Public Safety building, Federal Courthouse and now the District Attorney's office.

Looking at it, I am going to assume there are solar panels on the roof and will be going for at least gold LEEDs certified.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2011, 6:51 AM
Urban Planning Proselyte

I think location is just as important as design. This design on State Street seems like a really good fit. As long as they don't go cheap on the materials, this is going to be a really great addition to Salt Lake City.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2011, 8:48 AM
They all float down here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stenar View Post

I LOVE IT!!!
Me too. When the big one hits, you won't even tell it's damaged.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2011, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.p.hansen View Post

I think location is just as important as design. This design on State Street seems like a really good fit. As long as they don't go cheap on the materials, this is going to be a really great addition to Salt Lake City.
Agreed, and hopefully this will spur some more new infill for that area of State.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2011, 3:02 PM
Lurker

I think it's quite ugly. Great location though.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2011, 3:41 PM
Downtown with a Family

LOVE LOVE LOVE

I've always thought that the Grand seemed weird out on the edge of the world. This will extend the city beyond and help the Grand feel more enveloped by the city (as opposed to suburban stripmalls.)

As for the design this is exactly what we need more of. I just hope that as they go along it doesn't get watered down.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2011, 3:42 PM

[QUOTE=Viperlord;5480859]The new Salt Lake County District Attorneys office at 616 South State Street.
just south of the Grand America hotel.

The SLC planning division will be having an open house for this project on 11-17-2011 to discuss the site plan, and design.
6 stories, and it will have surface parking behind it.

I cant look at it too long or I start to feel a bit queezy.

I like it. The oddly shaped front reminds me of some things I've seen in Amsterdam, Franfurt and Berlin.
I am not a fan of surface parking lots, though. Too bad, but I understand some of the cost issues of underground/basement parking vs. surface lots.

I've only encountered one building that literally made me queezy (and dizzy, too) when inside it - the art museum in Denver - too many odd angles. I went there on a field trip with 3rd graders once. Some kids took to crawling up the stairs for fear of falling over!

Old Posted Nov 15, 2011, 4:08 PM

I like it. I think the parking will be south of it, not on 600 S, so I think thats ok. Anyone know the architect? As far as the likelihood it will be built, I remember reading that it will actually save them money compared to the current lease and their lease expires in 2013 I believe. So, this should get started soon.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2011, 4:14 PM

I'm not sure I love the actual design, but what I do love is that it is a bold and unique design. When I see new buildings going up in the city I realize how attractive a design is or is not is extremely subjective. With this building they are going out on a limb. It will be loved and hated by many but at least they are attempting to do something new and different. I would much rather have a building that pushes the envelope in its design whether I'm one that loves or hates it.

I don't think there is any question to the likelihood of this building being constructed. It is going to happen. They own the property and they are going to start demolition on the existing buildings in the next few weeks.

As a sidenote-- the failed multi-family residential project at 644 W North Temple will see new life and very soon. The developers want the project up and running in less than a year.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2011, 4:45 PM

While I think it's an interesting design, and yes, the location would seem appropriate, I don't appreciate that they forced my auto mechanic out of business. To the passerby, an area may seem dilapidated, but that corner housed several businesses that were people's livelihood. When the government comes in with eminent domain, they generally only pay out what they deem the land is worth, which ends up being a small fraction of what it would take those businesses to successfully relocate. Gentrification isn't a good thing for everyone.
And the fact that they are putting in a large surface parking lot doesn't sit well either; why not build on one of the many surface parking lots throughout downtown and put the parking for the building underground? I know it would cost more, but they are only adding to the problem the way they are going about it.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2011, 5:29 PM
Downtown with a Family

I'm now coming down from my initial excitement to realize that some of the decisions here could have been better.

If they really took all the land they are going to use by eminent domain (not sure that is true) then I agree it was a bad choice of location. There are plenty of parking lots they could have (should have) taken. I certainly don't like the surface parking lot either.

I still love the design and as UTPlanner said I am really happy that it's bold and isn't just a watered down design like we usually get.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2011, 5:47 PM
Urban Planning Proselyte

If you google earth the location (for those of you who can't quite put a finger on where this would be visually), you would see that they are essentially building this on a parking lot with some crappy shack on it. I'm sure the demolition will take 5 minutes. There are two other 1 story warehouse-like buildings that will probably have to be eliminated for the parking lot, but if you look at that surrounding property that would still be an improvement! This project will increase overall density by quite a bit.

If you look at the rendering and spot where the power lines are located and then match that up to the actual location on google earth, that will help give you an idea of what to expect. It looks like none of the cool Pre-war brick buildings on that block are going to be damaged.

This is a great piece of infill. Pushing car dealerships and mechanic shops further south in car hell State Street and further away from the Central Business District to make way for density is exactly what we need.

Last edited by s.p.hansen; Nov 15, 2011 at 6:02 PM.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2011, 5:59 PM

I agree with what UTPlanner says--I may not love the design, but I like that it's bold, different, and that it displaces more surface parking, nasty shacks, and car dealerships.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade Reynolds View Post
Me too. When the big one hits, you won't even tell it's damaged.
It'd be awesome if the big one hit, and rectified this building into a regular box.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2011, 6:41 PM
Bring out the cranes...

I love it. I hope they break ground soon. Now if they can do something with those power lines.
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West