HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 10, 2016, 10:52 PM

The part of Market with cars parked up to it doesn't actually exist yet and it's debatable whether it's a lane or an extension of Market. Either way, I hope they end up walling off the ground floor parking.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2016, 10:57 PM

I'd take a compromise of just only allowing one cutout to the parking (south entrance) and as said above, just put some sort of barrier to hide the other side of parking (north).

Old Posted Jan 10, 2016, 11:29 PM
surely you agree with me

Ah. You're right. I was looking at it wrong.

It's still not a precedent I think should be allowed but in this odd situation I agree it's not terrible. I had my streets backwards.

It's such an odd piece of property. I'm glad it's getting developed. When it was landlocked by the design of waterfront drive I thought it would be parking forever.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2016, 11:45 PM

I wonder if this will help the chances of all those planned "Cultural District" streetscaping/art elements come to fruition. That was announced years ago. I know the actual sidewalks and that are being replaced, but I wonder if we'll ever get all those arches and decorative elements

Old Posted Jan 11, 2016, 12:32 AM
BANNED

The area really needs enhanced streetscaping. It is still too rough around the edges, and not charming.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2016, 1:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban recluse View Post
The area really needs enhanced streetscaping. It is still too rough around the edges, and not charming.
Yeah, there are too many parts with sidewalks missing or with sidewalks interrupted by laneways that haven't been used in 40 years. There are some blocks that are reasonably well decorated but others are completely bereft of any kinds of streetscaping elements.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2016, 3:22 AM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Yeah, there are too many parts with sidewalks missing or with sidewalks interrupted by laneways that haven't been used in 40 years. There are some blocks that are reasonably well decorated but others are completely bereft of any kinds of streetscaping elements.
Market, including the area where this building is going, plus the south side of James, elgin and Bertha, were all newly streetscspped over the past two summers. I don't think anything further is going to be happening.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2016, 4:25 AM

http://www.winnipeg.ca/publicworks/M...seInfoBrds.pdf

Is this plan not on the go anymore? Seems to be following along.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2016, 4:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
Market, including the area where this building is going, plus the south side of James, elgin and Bertha, were all newly streetscspped over the past two summers. I don't think anything further is going to be happening.
Yes, Market itself is in pretty good shape now... I was speaking to the east Exchange generally, and in particular the parts north of Market.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2016, 5:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
http://www.winnipeg.ca/publicworks/M...seInfoBrds.pdf

Is this plan not on the go anymore? Seems to be following along.
This is still happening, by next year all the sidewalks in the Exchange will have been redone. However, this is more of a public works/infrastructure project that is tackling more of the functional aspect, and doesn't include all the "decorative" elements that have been on that Cultural District sign on James for a few years.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2016, 2:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
It's odd that market is treated as the back side and the lane is the front. Does that middle right image not show surface parking right up to the sidewalk on market?
Am I reading it wrong?
Technically Market ends at Bertha, so the apparent 'continuation' of Market further east is actually a private drive.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2016, 7:23 PM
surely you agree with me

yeah, I was getting James and Market mixed up.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2016, 1:17 AM

http://www.winnipeg.ca/PublicWorks/M...-28-BOARDS.pdf

Open house for next phase of streetscaping.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2016, 1:32 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

o good galts going to finaly get a side walk sucks having to walk in the midle of the road around there

Old Posted Jan 15, 2016, 3:01 PM

[QUOTE=bomberjet;7299886]http://www.winnipeg.ca/PublicWorks/M...-28-BOARDS.pdf

This is terrific, but what's irritating is James Ave getting passed over again while we sit and wait for decisions on the parkade which could be years away still.

The street is a mine field and desperately needs a sidewalk on the north side. And with every year that passes without trees, the canopy is further behind other streets. (okay, rant over...)

Old Posted Jan 15, 2016, 3:35 PM
BANNED

Agreed. It is a disgrace, and the impact of the lofts along James is hardly felt because of the condition of the infrastructure.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2016, 3:51 PM
the first stamp is free

[QUOTE=oftheMoon;7300273]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
http://www.winnipeg.ca/PublicWorks/M...-28-BOARDS.pdf

This is terrific, but what's irritating is James Ave getting passed over again while we sit and wait for decisions on the parkade which could be years away still.

The street is a mine field and desperately needs a sidewalk on the north side. And with every year that passes without trees, the canopy is further behind other streets. (okay, rant over...)
I work here, so I totally get it.

I think they are also considering significantly reducing the width of the James to accommodate more land for the parkade and other pump-house related developments. This complicates things, and they basically need to wait till a development is on the table to do it right and do it once.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2016, 4:06 PM
What could go wrong?

[QUOTE=drew;7300345]
Quote:
Originally Posted by oftheMoon View Post

I work here, so I totally get it.

I think they are also considering significantly reducing the width of the James to accommodate more land for the parkade and other pump-house related developments. This complicates things, and they basically need to wait till a development is on the table to do it right and do it once.
The Pump-house project might get announced in March or so.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jan 15, 2016, 4:15 PM

^ Awesome.

I agree, James is a bit wide in its current form. However, that will allow for generous sidewalks. I can't wait until something happens with it.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2016, 4:18 PM
BANNED

A centre boulevard with trees, etc would look great along James; or, yes, wider sidewalks with increased numbers of trees, shrubs, etc lining both sides of James.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan