HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 1:51 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
and you are still the definition of a person who sees no problem using a racist and classist pejorative.
Study did not use "ghetto" as a racist pejorative. It simply means a run-down, dilapidated, dangerous neighborhood, in need of help. If you believe "ghetto" refers to only black-americans or latinos, you should read up on the ghettos in Nazi-occupied Europe or the White ghettos of South Africa. Or take a drive through rural Alabama. To most, the term is a non-trigger.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 2:21 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
Hotel. Talked about a little here.
Do we have any idea how this is going to look or what flag it will be?

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 2:21 PM
Show me the blueprints

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 View Post
Study did not use "ghetto" as a racist pejorative. It simply means a run-down, dilapidated, dangerous neighborhood, in need of help. If you believe "ghetto" refers to only black-americans or latinos, you should read up on the ghettos in Nazi-occupied Europe or the White ghettos of South Africa. Or take a drive through rural Alabama. To most, the term is a non-trigger.
The perjorative use of the word "ghetto" is mostly an American one increasingly used in the second half of the 20th century especially in lyrical or emotional contexts. Whereas the term "slum" was usually used to describe a dilapidated and impoverished sector, "ghetto" can and is often applied to a sector who's real or perceived crime rate overshadows whether or not it is dilapidated and seems to be highly subjective from the perspective of race and socioeconomic status.

From Merriam-Webster:

Did You Know?

The etymology of Italian ghetto was formerly the subject of much speculation, but today there is little doubt that the word comes from the Italian dialect form ghèto, meaning “foundry.” A foundry for cannons was once located on an island that forms part of Venice, where in 1516 the Venetians restricted Jewish residence. The word ghèto became the name for the area and was borrowed into standard Italian as ghetto, with the meaning of “section of a city where Jews are forced to live.” From there it passed into most other European languages. Since the late 19th century, the meaning of ghetto has been extended to crowded urban districts where other ethnic or racial groups have been confined by poverty or prejudice.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Last edited by Busy Bee; Jan 12, 2017 at 3:02 PM.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 2:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 View Post
in need of help by whom? run down by who's standards? we are talking about the late 20th/21st century American urban use of the term, which is loaded by any measure, especially by who happens to be wielding it.

my SO grew up in a neighborhood that some might refer to by that term. to her it was and remains simply home, and is inhabited by people with close bonds who care deeply about their community and take pride in their homes. if you dont understand why someone living there would find it offensive to have judgement cast by an outsider, whether due to culture or appearance or simply your ZIP code, then you are horribly out of touch and my criticism stands. of course everyones opinion suddenly changes as soon as there is a killing to be made on real estate speculation and then magically it becomes "up and coming" once its convenient to culturally appropriate what was once looked down upon to sell that most sought after authenticity

and i think its high time we retire "third world countries" from the lexicon too while we're at it too, but i digress

Last edited by Via Chicago; Jan 12, 2017 at 2:54 PM.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 3:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
There have been numerous SFH built in that general area in the last 5 or so years, and that is market rate for those - which have been selling. Here's some examples from the general area in that price range which have already been built and sold recently - mostly new construction, but some aren't:

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...5_M80662-47679
http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...3_M84707-87154
http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...3_M76620-98593
http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...3_M87723-48023
http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...3_M75436-75835
http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...3_M82168-61885
http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...3_M76557-42320
http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...3_M82049-00830
http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...3_M72226-93175
http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...5_M84975-84303
http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...3_M86374-77623
http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...3_M73945-46796

So is what they're going to build in Bronzeville area market rate for new single family homes? Yeah, actually it is. As I've posted numerous times before, the area has quietly seen more new construction SFH than most people realize over the last decade. There were 20 single family homes in this area that sold for over $400K between July and December 2016 with around 10 more between $300K and $399K.
study may want to revisit his thoughts on Bronzeville real estate.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 3:49 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by study View Post
They are the definition of ghetto.
Could you enlighten us with your definition of ghetto, as the term has multiple technical and colloquial definitions?

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 3:51 PM

nm

Last edited by Near North Resident; Jan 12, 2017 at 4:02 PM.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 7:35 PM

^^^ Won't be a sea of empty lots for much longer if they keep buying them at this rate. That's like asking "man, who buys suburban tract housing, nothing but farm fields", except the vacant lots in Bronzeville are near the center of a nearly 10 million person metropolitian area.

Seems impossible to rebuild the parts of Chicago that have been gutted, but then consider how quickly this city was built and how quickly we build entire towns in the suburbs. If economic trends continue the way the have in the central area, we could find the entire "ghettos" of Chicago are completely rebuilt in a couple of decades.

So I say good riddance to these vacant lots and hope the trend continues, it is suprising to me, but I can see the logic in it. Once these homeowners who are undoubtably middle or upper middle class take over the area, we can expect what crime remains to plummet as "broken window theory" works in reverse and people with a strong financial stake in improving the community set up shop.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 7:35 PM

Quote:
man who buys these? sea of empty lots
People who want a new SFH close to downtown but can't/won't drop 1M-ish?

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 7:37 PM

i mean theres definitely a bubble feel to some of this. i remember when there were "luxury" condos being built in north lawndale circa '08 too

some of these are a straight up joke (see the gem below), but i guess as long as it has an open floorplan and granite/stainless, people will trip over themselves to buy it. at least for now.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 7:40 PM
Vote for me for Mayor!

Quote:
Most of those examples appear to sit on pretty complete blocks though.....

$400k-500k is actually pretty cheap for a SFH in a lakefront community. Even in Uptown SFH I've seen go for near or above $1mil. Not sure why you're so jarred by this revelation.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 7:45 PM

have i mentioned how much i hate SFH open floorplans? kill this stupid trend already. who wants to live inside a rental ballroom? whats most sad is all these flips that are gutting historic interiors. every link i click on, dosent matter where it is or what year the building was built...same half assed "sleek" interior.

oh hey its a beautiful victorian!

i bet the original trimwork and details inside are stunning!

Last edited by Via Chicago; Jan 12, 2017 at 8:01 PM.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 8:09 PM
Closed account

Quote:
I think the better question is, how is there a lakefront neighborhood so close to the loop with this many empty lots?

There are many different answers to that question, but as a city dweller in my 30s, it looks like a market inefficiency driven by past policies and current misconceptions. The West Loop, South Loop, Pilsen and Chinatown have been very hot the past 5 years. Bronzeville seems to be the logical next ring out.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 8:12 PM

Quote:
In other words, you were wrong.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 8:15 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
wait. WTF?

why is the island on that screwball angle?

and why does it have a mustache on it?

seriously..... WTF?

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 8:19 PM

i picked that one at random in 5 seconds of searching on redfin but its like a game trying to find one worse than the other. unfortunately its not very difficult. i dont know how this "look" became the trend in the 2010s...but flippers, im looking at you specifically. for the love of god stop. i want there to actually be charming historic real estate left in this city when im ready to buy and im starting to get worried. (same goes for the whole "lets throw 100 recessed lights everywhere" thing going on)

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 8:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Do we have any idea how this is going to look or what flag it will be?
"Moxy" by Marriott, I think.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 8:25 PM
BANNED

The Bush Temple project turned out beautifully. Right on par with the Three Arts Club reno by Restoration Hardware. Supposed to open Spring 2017.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 8:27 PM
BANNED

LDS Temple taking shape. (This is the new Church, not the white mid-rise which will be sandwiched between Bush temple and LDS temple.)

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 8:29 PM

I can recall when the city floated a plan of developing a plan for a SFH prototype that they would design once and then build everywhere on empty lots like stamping a conveyor belt

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development