HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Jan 19, 2019, 12:25 AM

Iona Island Wastewater Treatment Plant

Quote:
Flushing for the Next 100 Years – Metro Vancouver has High Hopes for New Iona “Wastewater” Plant

Iona Island Wastewater Treatment Plant Project
After almost a year of covering the urban growth in our city, Darren and I have grown a little used to upending our plans at the last minute to rush to an open house. This one pushed that limit to a new level, as I was almost home when I received Darren’s message about an event on Sea Island. I soon realized our night would be spent learning about a major piece of new infrastructure at a meeting starting in less than an hour.

Soon after, we arrived at the beautifully designed GoodLife Fitness Family Autism Hub just in time to snag a few Nanaimo Bars before starting the first of four planned community workshops. The information was eye opening, as we learned the Burnaby communities of Metrotown, Brentwood, and Gilmore share the same wastewater plant that services the lands west of Boundary Road, and most of Sea Island.

A presentation from space2place revealed that most of Iona Island was created with dredge from the Fraser River and, ironically, in the 1950s there were even plans for it to host a beachfront resort. However, the construction of the north jetty and a causeway to Sea Island, along with the industrial growth along the rivers edges, led the water quality quickly into a nosedive. Soon after a decision was made to build a wastewater plant here, which opened in 1963. Since then, its been upgrade 6 times, yet only provides primary treatment of our toilet trappings.
https://cityduo.wordpress.com/2019/0...tewater-plant/

Project Page:
http://www.metrovancouver.org/servic...s/default.aspx

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure