HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Oct 7, 2016, 12:36 AM

[Halifax] Flynn Flats (1363 Hollis) | 28 m | 7 fl | Completed

Dexel's newest proposal for the corner of Bishop and Hollis was presented last night at VivaCity and is going to design review committee for its initial presentation.

Hollis & bishop by Jonovision23, on Flickr

Old Posted Oct 7, 2016, 1:28 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

That looks pretty nice but I think this area should probably be a heritage district already. If you look closely at the beige vinyl siding apartment buildings you'll see that they're quite old. They may have masonry construction on the upper floors and even if not they could look incredible if they were renovated in a way similar to a bunch of Hal Forbes projects.

Meanwhile this project or something similar could be built in many other locations with inferior buildings or no buildings.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2016, 2:21 AM
Halifax Promoter!

Where do we find out what happened at Vivacity this year?

Old Posted Oct 7, 2016, 2:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
That looks pretty nice but I think this area should probably be a heritage district already. If you look closely at the beige vinyl siding apartment buildings you'll see that they're quite old. They may have masonry construction on the upper floors and even if not they could look incredible if they were renovated in a way similar to a bunch of Hal Forbes projects.

Meanwhile this project or something similar could be built in many other locations with inferior buildings or no buildings.
Yeah, it's a good proposal but it's a terrible location for it. The building there now, properly restored, would be a beautiful period-appropriate complement to the city's second conservation district, and one of the most unique and interesting heritage districts in the country. Instead, it's just the usual flatten-and-rebuild. This is very nice, but you could build it anywhere. There aren't many mid 19th-century Italianate urban buildings in the city, or in Canada.

Dexel builds decent stuff, but the company's creativity in integrating old and new is totally inadequate to a city like this.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2016, 2:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybrain View Post
Yeah, it's a good proposal but it's a terrible location for it. The building there now, properly restored, would be a beautiful period-appropriate complement to the building across the street, and would really enhance the coming conservation district.

This is very nice, but you could build it anywhere. There aren't many early 19th-century Italianate urban buildings in Canada.
I see the stone masonry at street level on the Bishop street side of the beige house -- so, let me get this straight, someone put freaking vinyl beige siding on top of masonry and stone walls?!!?!?

Old Posted Oct 7, 2016, 2:52 AM

It is already pretty upsetting that Dexel is destroying the one of a kind wooden apartment building at the corner of Spring Garden and Robie and now this? Oh wait there is also a bunch on Barrington they would like to demolish.. When is the city going stand up and say "@#$ing enough!"? Probably never.. Dexel is doing nothing but pillaging the history all over the city.

Scumbags.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2016, 4:33 PM

Dexel is presenting this project to Design Review Committee next week.

It will be 40-unit residential building with a small retail unit facing Hollis Street. 12 new parking spaces accessed via the existing Waterton parkade entrance. Rooftop amenity space along with ground floor amenity space (some shared with Waterford). The height varies due to the steep grade along Bishop Street. That said it will be 28m from the main entrance on Hollis Street. Dexel is proposing to meet post-bonus requirements and the site plan does show underground utilities along Bishop Street.

Design Review Committee - Case 20296

Old Posted Oct 7, 2016, 6:01 PM

What a fabulous design - reminiscent of the library. Great to get rid of the old building (slum?) before it goes in flames with a number of fatalities.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2016, 11:48 PM

I really like this new design, but I am concerned with what might be hiding under that layer of vinyl. Does anyone have a historic image of the streetscape?

Old Posted Oct 13, 2016, 3:12 AM

[deleted]

Last edited by pblaauw; Oct 13, 2016 at 3:19 AM. Reason: BRB RESEARCHING

Old Posted Oct 13, 2016, 3:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
I really like this new design, but I am concerned with what might be hiding under that layer of vinyl. Does anyone have a historic image of the streetscape?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
This is the closest I could find. I think Marys Army and Navy Club is what was there, or the building to the left of it. (The NS Archives website says that's on Barrington, however.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2016, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybrain View Post
Yeah, it's a good proposal but it's a terrible location for it. The building there now, properly restored, would be a beautiful period-appropriate complement to the city's second conservation district, and one of the most unique and interesting heritage districts in the country. Instead, it's just the usual flatten-and-rebuild. This is very nice, but you could build it anywhere. There aren't many mid 19th-century Italianate urban buildings in the city, or in Canada.

Dexel builds decent stuff, but the company's creativity in integrating old and new is totally inadequate to a city like this.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2016, 10:01 AM

Anyone know how to direct link to an Archives image? This image shows the building at the corner of Hollis and Bishop. It's the one that has the granite foundation, but is now clad in beige siding.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2016, 1:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanWatson View Post
Anyone know how to direct link to an Archives image? This image shows the building at the corner of Hollis and Bishop. It's the one that has the granite foundation, but is now clad in beige siding.
Click on the download 'button' - it will open the image in a new window, and you can post using that URL.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2016, 5:09 PM
armchairitect

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
Click on the download 'button' - it will open the image in a new window, and you can post using that URL.

quick look at streetview shows that the building there now, and in this photo have identical chimneys. looks like the brick fell into disrepair, so they parcged the back, and sided the front.

this would probably clean up really nicely. a Dylan like intervention here would be wonderful.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 12:51 PM

Didn't realize we had a thread for this one so I cross-posted on general updates:

Demo has started on the building at the corner of Hollis and Bishop. They seem to be doing it by hand.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2017, 8:05 PM

1363 Hollis 2017-1-13 by DwN~toWN Halifax, on Flickr

Demolition of 1363 Hollis with Alexander crane in background.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2017, 10:51 PM

Thanks for posting. I'm not seeing brick in that photo, and is that wall perpendicular to the street made of poured concrete? Probably stucco over brick, I'm thinking

That said, I can see the plaster slats inside, the original doorway and what looks like granite at the entranceway and foundation? The old bars on the bottom windows are interesting as well.

Oh well, another one gone...

Old Posted Jan 15, 2017, 4:55 PM

More of the demo.

20170112_134112_HDR by Jonovision23, on Flickr

20170112_134306_HDR by Jonovision23, on Flickr

Old Posted Jan 20, 2017, 9:49 PM

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth