HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

555 Washington in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • San Francisco Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
San Francisco Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Apr 7, 2010, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Discord may topple tower plan

John Coté
Wednesday, April 7, 2010
San Francisco Chronicle

A looming showdown at the Board of Supervisors over the controversial plan to build a 38-story condominium tower next to the Transamerica Pyramid is going to make or break the project, the developer said Tuesday.

Even though land-use approvals still have to be granted, if an appeal of the tower's environmental impact study to the board is successful, the developer said it will pull the plug on the project at 555 Washington St., according to a letter sent to the board.

"We've been at this for five years and done an exhaustive environmental review," project developer Andrew Segal told the Insider. "The cost and uncertainty of going back to square one just doesn't make sense."

Board President David Chiu, whose district includes the proposed project, described Segal's letter as "fairly unorthodox."

"We have in front of us the narrow question of whether the environmental review has been adequate," Chiu said, "and we will make our decision based on state environmental law."

The Planning Commission narrowly approved the environmental study on a 4-3 vote in a contentious meeting last month. Even commission President Ron Miguel, who ultimately voted to approve, said the study in many instances didn't seem objective.

The Telegraph Hill Dwellers neighborhood group appealed the state-mandated environmental report to the board last week, contending it's faulty for 14 reasons, including improperly analyzing impacts on shadow, wind, redwood trees and visual aesthetics.
Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...#ixzz0kREPxR5F

Old Posted Apr 7, 2010, 10:09 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Of course, that's exactly what the opponents want and is the reason they are raising every conceivable issue at every step of the process. They hope the developer will eventually throw up his hands and walk away. SOP around here.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Apr 7, 2010, 11:44 PM
BANNED

Old Posted Apr 21, 2010, 5:06 AM

the board of stupidvisors just killed this tower:

Quote:
S.F. supes knock down plan for new condo tower

Rachel Gordon, Chronicle Staff Writer

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

(04-20) 21:44 PDT SAN FRANCISCO -- A developer's plan to erect a 38-story condominium tower next to San Francisco's landmark Transamerica Pyramid was knocked down by the Board of Supervisors Tuesday night.

After nearing five hours of public testimony from dozens of speakers on both sides of the debate, the board voted 10-0 to overturn the Planning Commission's determination last month that the project's environmental impact report was adequate, accurate and complete.

"This EIR is fatally flawed," said Board of Supervisors President David Chiu. "It doesn't acknowledge the significant cumulative impacts of wind, of shadows, on transportation, on parking, on transit, on aesthetics,"

The supervisors' rejection of the environmental impact report doesn't by itself kill the proposed project at 555 Washington St. But the developer, Andrew Segal, said he does not plan to go forward.

"If we have to recirculate the EIR, I think we're done," Segal said.

He said a revised analysis would add $1 million to the $6 million the developer already has spent.

He threw the board an end-of-the-game Hail Mary by offering to cut down the size of the tower from 430 feet to 200 feet, which would comply with the allowable height limit in the neighborhood.

Supervisor Michela Alioto-Pier's request that the board continue consideration for another month to give city planners time to review the scaled-down plan failed.......

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...#ixzz0lhxasZcW

Old Posted Apr 21, 2010, 6:25 AM

Annnnnnd...that's all folks.

Too bad, it looked nice.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2010, 6:36 AM
Green Berniecrat

I saw this coming so long ago. Another opportunity passed on. I don't blame the developer for leaving, its obvious they can't get anything passed in this town

Old Posted Apr 21, 2010, 6:41 AM
BANNED

Much better could be put to use at that prestigious site. Sure it might be another 20 years, but future generations are proving to be not so height fearing as they are now. I'd like to see something come up to the top of the pyramid's roof (not the crown but the roof).

Old Posted Apr 21, 2010, 3:36 PM
Only Mostly Dead

I never really expected to see this get built. Another nice design on the scrap heap.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Apr 21, 2010, 6:13 PM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

EIRs are rapidly becoming the tool of choice for San Francisco's horde of NIMBY scum.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2010, 3:39 AM
Here we stAy

Redwood trees? Really? I mean, I like me some redwood trees, but I'm not so sure they've ever grown naturally in SF.

Just wow.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2010, 5:44 AM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltsmotorsport View Post
Redwood trees? Really? I mean, I like me some redwood trees, but I'm not so sure they've ever grown naturally in SF. Just wow.
They are.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2010, 9:20 AM
Website Manager

A couple more renderings from the architects website - http://www.hellermanus.com/portfolio...%22%24H4%20%0A

Project website - http://www.555washingtonsf.com/

Old Posted Jun 12, 2011, 10:34 AM

Is this still a live site or have the developers given up here?

Old Posted Jun 12, 2011, 4:38 PM
Only Mostly Dead

This is as dead as they come.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive