HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Jan 5, 2015, 8:13 PM
HVAC guru

2015 assessments

It's that time of year again

http://www.edmonton.ca/residential_n...ment/maps.aspx

How'd your area fare ?

Old Posted Jan 5, 2015, 8:20 PM
Klatuu Barada Nikto

Holyrood: 8 - 11% increase in SFH; probably due to lots of infill taking place here.

Flat in multi, though there are very few such properties in this neighbourhood.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2015, 8:49 PM
HVAC guru

Loooks like 5-8% for the house in Gold bar. No multi-res in this neighbourhood

Odd, They did not post the information for Parkdale for either SF or MF on the maps. I'll assume a little higher than Alberta Ave, probably in the 8-11 range as Parkdale seems to be of higher value due to proximity to ammenities and transit. Lots of infill there too.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2015, 9:15 PM
HVAC guru

Just got off the phone with 311 re: lack of stats for Parkdale

It appears that the city did a re-assessment mid-way through last year in response to the fact that the neighbourhood is changing faster than most in the city. Therefore they kept the stats off as they are not reflective of a full years' change. Sounds wierd to me but whatever.

But the house in Parkdale is up about 7.5% to $273k. Which is probably right around what it is sellable for.

I suspect the house in Gold Bar is pushing $400k. But it's worth at least $60k more than that on the market

Old Posted Jan 5, 2015, 9:45 PM
Community Guy

My condo is about the same as last year, up slightly and about 40-50k lower than market.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jan 5, 2015, 10:46 PM
HVAC guru

Looks like the big movers this year were Quesnel Heights, Ritchie and Queen Mark Park

A friend of mine is sitting on a wartime semi in Ritchie on a corner lot that can be subdivided into three. She's sitting on a gold mine if she ever decides to subdivide it

It appears that after big gains in Cromdale and McCauley last year, both are down near flat.

The big suprise for me is the 1% gain in Greisbach. I thought that area would do better than that

Old Posted Jan 6, 2015, 7:02 PM

My neighbourhood (Fulton Place) is in the 11% range, with my individual property having gone up 12.5% ($343,000 to $386,000), which makes sense since I'm developing a basement suite, so the city would be well aware of upgrades.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2015, 7:11 PM
HVAC guru

^ I wonder what the overall impact on neighbourhood values is in those neighbourhoods like Fulton Place or Capilano that have very expensive homes along their peripheries and more market valued homes towards the inside ? Same with Gold Bar... there's some million dollar homes along the ravine edges, but most in the neighbourhood are worth less than half that.

Did you get your property re-zoned for your suite ? How did that go ?

Last edited by 240glt; Jan 6, 2015 at 7:23 PM.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2015, 10:35 PM
Community Guy

^Secondary suite?

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jan 6, 2015, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240glt View Post
^ I wonder what the overall impact on neighbourhood values is in those neighbourhoods like Fulton Place or Capilano that have very expensive homes along their peripheries and more market valued homes towards the inside ? Same with Gold Bar... there's some million dollar homes along the ravine edges, but most in the neighbourhood are worth less than half that.

Did you get your property re-zoned for your suite ? How did that go ?
I already had the necessary zoning (RF3) to build a Secondary Suite, so all in all the whole process was fairly smooth. The biggest hurdle was re-doing an already fairly new HVAC system as a legal secondary suite requires a completely separated system for upstairs and downstairs (I am now running 2 high efficiency furnaces). That aside, getting permits was pretty easy (my plans passed on first go). Planning department was pretty helpful, and I had done a lot of research before even buying the house on what was required, and what to look out for.

Just wrapping up the actual build process now, can't wait to get a tenant in there to help out with the mortgage. Should be a pretty nice suite! It was a complete gut & rebuild.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2015, 11:10 PM
HVAC guru

EDIT

^ Huh.. I thought Fulton Court was all RF1. You must be closer to the 101ave side.

Glad to hear it went well. I gutted out the basement of my house in Parkdale last year due to some infiltration problems. For the moment I have a great tenant renting the whole house but if they move out I'll look at putting a proper suite in there.

I just put a new high efficiency furnace and HWT in that house as well. I had to as the chimney is failing so I opted to go forced draft on everything and vent it out the side of the house. Next spring I'll take the chimeny down and get a few extra square feet on the main floor when I put a new roof on it

I want to look at a garage attic (not a suite) for the place in Gold Bar, but want to look at re-zoning it for future. Was curious how that process went. I'm guessing it won't be the most pleasant process

Old Posted Jan 6, 2015, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240glt View Post
EDIT

^ Huh.. I thought Fulton Court was all RF1. You must be closer to the 101ave side.

Glad to hear it went well. I gutted out the basement of my house in Parkdale last year due to some infiltration problems. For the moment I have a great tenant renting the whole house but if they move out I'll look at putting a proper suite in there.

I just put a new high efficiency furnace and HWT in that house as well. I had to as the chimney is failing so I opted to go forced draft on everything and vent it out the side of the house. Next spring I'll take the chimeny down and get a few extra square feet on the main floor when I put a new roof on it

I want to look at a garage attic (not a suite) for the place in Gold Bar, but want to look at re-zoning it for future. Was curious how that process went. I'm guessing it won't be the most pleasant process
Yeah, I'm about 2 blocks North of 101 Ave, not right in the 'core' of the neighbourhood. {EDIT} I'm actually RF1, not RF3. But the rules for secondary suites in RF1 have been relaxed since, I believe, 2002. A lot less restrictions as far as where on the block you need to be in order to build.

I'm venting both furnaces out the side as well, and installed a power vented hot water tank as well, so my chimney is really just decoration at this point. Just couldn't justify the money it would take to remove it at this point, for the few extra SF it would garner in my place.

Unfortunately, if you're looking to go legal in Gold Bar you might be in for a fight. If I'm remembering right from my house search, there's an overlay in effect in Gold Bar that doesn't allow for secondary suites as it borders with Stratchona (or at least, it's discretionary). (http://webdocs.edmonton.ca/zoningbyl...es_Overlay.htm). Best of luck, though!

Old Posted Jan 7, 2015, 3:53 AM
Bring buildings to life

My brother's property in Spruce Avenue went up 5.5% in last year's notice, and then it went up 9.5% in this year's notice. Kingsway LRT station is not even open yet!

Last edited by RicoLance21; Jan 7, 2015 at 4:07 AM.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2015, 3:57 PM
HVAC guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by oiler-dude View Post
Yeah, I'm about 2 blocks North of 101 Ave, not right in the 'core' of the neighbourhood. {EDIT} I'm actually RF1, not RF3. But the rules for secondary suites in RF1 have been relaxed since, I believe, 2002. A lot less restrictions as far as where on the block you need to be in order to build.

I'm venting both furnaces out the side as well, and installed a power vented hot water tank as well, so my chimney is really just decoration at this point. Just couldn't justify the money it would take to remove it at this point, for the few extra SF it would garner in my place.

Unfortunately, if you're looking to go legal in Gold Bar you might be in for a fight. If I'm remembering right from my house search, there's an overlay in effect in Gold Bar that doesn't allow for secondary suites as it borders with Stratchona (or at least, it's discretionary). (http://webdocs.edmonton.ca/zoningbyl...es_Overlay.htm). Best of luck, though!
Interesting. I'm still not all that familiar with the zoning regulations in this area. I'll have to do some digging.

Our neighbour built a main level inlaw suite off the back of their house for their aging father, they had to go out & do the 60M thing, but from what I understand the process went relatively smooth for them.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2015, 5:34 PM

The city says my property is up 40k from last year. Don't know if the market agrees or not! So it will be higher than the 7.1 average. There for I will pay more than the 5.7% tax!

I on one hand know....no matter what you say or do...taxes will go up. But I think we are seeing city building done with these new increases over the last 10 years.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton