HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Feb 2, 2010, 9:58 PM

Independent transit authority urged for Hamilton

TheSpec.com By Meredith MacLeod

Hamilton’s largest business group wants to see a transit commission govern the city’s bus system.

The Hamilton Chamber of Commerce asked city council two years ago to look into returning to a separate body overseeing transit. Currently, the system is managed by city staff within the public works department who report to council’s public works committee.
A report from staff in January argued that is the best model for the city. Don Hull, director of transit, says dozens of municipalities, including Hamilton, have abolished their transit commissions because they had no accountability to taxpayers who end up paying a good chunk of the operational costs.
The chamber isn’t satisfied and has asked city council to investigate establishing a commission that would include voices from business and transit users. They argue that good transit planning has been sacrificed for political gains and that the important portfolio doesn’t have a suitable profile among senior management.
“Whenever there are transit enhancements or changes made, they are politically motivated, rather than business-case oriented,” said Dan Rodrigues, chair of the chamber’s transportation committee.
Councillor Brian McHattie said he isn’t supportive of an autonomous transit commission but “the HSR used to have a seat at the table with corporate management. I think we need more focus on transit, especially as we try to reach target ridership numbers.”
Rodriques says the HSR should be run more as a business, something supported by Peter Hutton of the Hamilton Transit Users Group. He says the organization has discussed the idea of re-establishing a transit commission.

See the full story in tomorrow’s Spectator.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2010, 10:31 PM
Bruatalism gets no respec

Why not? We have a separate harbour commission, The Port Authority.

This will need 12 years of studies.... let's get on it.

Last edited by realcity; Feb 3, 2010 at 5:50 PM.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2010, 11:03 PM
It's Hammer Time

I wouldn't mind an independent transit authority that would give out suggestions. Sort of the same as the transit steering committee really.

But I would like to see the authority be an equal mixture of committee members, a businessperson, councilor, regualr joe HSR passenger, a BIA member, suburban member, etc.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2010, 5:22 AM
Hammer'd

Not really sure what I think of that. In recent years the HSR has actually been doing a very good job at increasing service and working with what little funding they get. I don't think a radical change needs to be brought upon them. Instead it is the city and the province that need a shake up.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Feb 3, 2010, 5:34 PM
It's Hammer Time

It's basically keeping the transit steering committee but changing the committee members to get a wide variety of viewpoints. Which I think is a good step.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2010, 2:37 PM
It's Hammer Time

Mohawk students vote for bus passes

By Mark Newman, News Staff
News
Feb 04, 2010
http://www.hamiltonmountainnews.com/news/article/201737

In what was the largest referendum participation in the college’s history, Mohawk College students last week voted nearly 66 per cent in favour of a mandatory eight-month HSR bus pass initiative that will add $121.80 to tuition fees starting in September.

“It’s great news,” said 29-year-old Matthew Sweet, a transportation technology student at the Fennell campus and one of the proponents of the program. “The voter turnout is a real plus.”

According to Mohawk Students Association numbers, 1,818 full-time students at the Fennell and Stoney Creek campuses voted online or by paper ballot in favour of the bus passes, while 955 students voted no.

Balloting took place over three days.

The voting numbers eclipsed the minimum of 10 percent of the approximately 8,000 students required to participate to make the referendum binding.

Students at Mohawk’s nursing school campus at McMaster University also voted nearly 80 per cent to maintain their existing bus pass system which is the same as the one approved by the other students.

The vote did not apply to students attending Mohawk’s campus in Brantford.

MSA president Alan Griffiths said the 33 percent of eligible students who voted is a new record for Mohawk.

“That’s unheard of,” Griffiths said. “We don’t get 30 per cent of students to vote in anything on campus.”

Griffiths noted past referendums have drawn 10 to 15 per cent participation and the higher numbers reflect student interest in the bus pass issue.

About 1,300 students use the HSR to get to the Fennell campus during the week and 400 use the bus on weekends.

About 35 students ride the bus to the Stoney Creek campus during the week and 15 on Saturdays.

Students who currently pay $87 a month for an adult HSR pass are expected to save more than $574 under the new pass system.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2010, 2:39 PM
It's Hammer Time

Excellent news! Watch our ridership raise because of this, which means more gas tax money for public transit.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2010, 6:52 PM

As one of the major proponents of this pass, I have to laugh so hard. I started the facebook group in August 2008, and while due to co-op and the like, I have been in BC for 8 months, I was indirectly involved with the process, although Matthew Sweet took over from myself.

I was told in November, directly by MSA president Alan Griffiths that Mohawk students will NEVER go for a Mandatory Pass, and yet 2 months later, almost 66% of voters voted for the pass. They didn't seem to see the need or desire to address the issue, so they made sure we gathered up a petition, where we received over 1600 signatures (they required 1500), and then forced the referendum.

I was quite shocked at the level of support. I wasn't sure if it would pass or not. There wasn't really a major NO side to the issue. Even out of towners can figure out the system to address their need to avoid parking on campus if they really want to.

Curious now to see what changes to the routings around Fennell/West 5th for September, as there will be a HUGE spike in ridership most likely.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2010, 12:25 PM
It's Hammer Time

Separate transit group is the ticket: chamber

February 08, 2010
Meredith Macleod
The Hamilton Spectator
http://www.thespec.com/News/Business/article/718055

The Hamilton Chamber of Commerce wants to see an independent transit commission operate the city's bus system and a potential future light-rail line.

The chamber's transportation committee is arguing the Hamilton Street Railway should be divorced from politics and be overseen by a corporation that includes voices from business and users.

"Whenever there are transit enhancements or changes made, they are politically motivated, rather than business-case oriented," said Dan Rodrigues, chairperson of the chamber's transportation committee.

The chamber began this debate with the city close to two years ago. A staff report last month argued the current model of integrating transit fully as a city department is the best for Hamilton.

Currently, the transit system, and its operating budget of about $87 million this year, is overseen by councillors who sit on the public works committee.

The chamber made another pitch for a commission to that committee last week.

Rodrigues says the city hasn't cut Hamilton Street Railway service in underused areas or rationalized routes because councillors don't want to suffer political heat.

"Since amalgamation, the HSR has been increasingly subject to undue political influence," reads the chamber's position paper.

"New routes are assigned, not based on need or maximized ridership or access to employment lands, but on specific interests. The existing plans are vague and aspirational rather than well documented with data and annual ridership targets and review of the impact or initiatives."

The chamber contends that Metrolinx is a model for city transit governance, saying the province removed politicians from the board to rise above parochial politics in planning transportation in the Greater Toronto and Hamilton area.

But Councillor Lloyd Ferguson says outside boards, including conservation authorities and police services, don't have the incentive to closely watch budgets.

He says Hamilton's transit system is efficient and cost-effective.

"There are good reasons to try (a commission) and good reasons to keep the status quo ... I'm not prepared to jump into it."

Don Hull, director of transit for the city, says many municipalities, including Hamilton, have dissolved transit commissions because they aren't accountable to the taxpayer.

Out of close to 100 transit systems belonging to the Canadian Urban Transit Association, only 19 have transit commissions, he says.

And in the case of Toronto, the entire Toronto Transit Commission board is made up of councillors, making it a de facto council committee.

John Dolbec, chamber CEO, counters that Hamilton city council should be focused on strategic planning rather than the details of operations.

"Let council focus on the forest, not the trees," Dolbec wrote in an e-mail.

Barry Wellar, a transportation consultant and retired professor at the University of Ottawa, was surprised to hear Hamilton's transit system is completely swallowed up in the public works department.

"That's right out of the 1800s. It's an engineering mentality ... The people who are focused on moving cars, are they the same people you want working on your light rail? Likely not. They don't have the mindset," he said.

"It's just like the old joke, why do transportation departments build roads? Because they've always built them and they have no other ideas."

While Ottawa abolished its transit commission, there is a citizens advisory committee providing input to staff and council, says Wellar.

Peter Hutton, spokesperson for the Hamilton Transit Users Group, also wants to see the concept of a transit commission explored.

He agrees that planning and good sense has taken a back seat to politicking.

"Any route changes go back to council and they inevitably become a political football."

Councillor Brian McHattie says there are ways to improve the governance of transit without resorting to an independent commission and he's asked public works director Gerry Davis to take a look.

"The HSR used to have a seat at the table with corporate management," said McHattie. "I think we need more focus on transit, especially as we try to reach target ridership numbers."

Rodrigues says transit is more than a social service. It's an economic enabler vital to business and industry and building a city.

That's even more important as the city lobbies for an east-west light-rail transit line, he says. Metrolinx is expected to release its recommendation Feb. 19.

Applying a business approach to transit service would cut the reliance on subsidies from the general tax levy, says Rodrigues.

But the city's Hull says transit has always straddled the divide of social service and business.

About 52 per cent of the HSR's operating budget, close to $46 million in 2010, will come out of the general tax pool.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2010, 2:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
Mohawk students vote for bus passes
Yay to this! It only took a YEAR to convince them to hold the vote, and when they did there were more votes cast than in any referendum in the school's history.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2010, 4:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_leafs_go02 View Post
Curious now to see what changes to the routings around Fennell/West 5th for September, as there will be a HUGE spike in ridership most likely.
Maybe we'll see plans for that long-discussed terminal at W5th and Fennell. That could be a very important transit hub to connect mountain routes to the downtown. It would certainly give the A-Line a boost.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2010, 4:51 PM
Concerned Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_leafs_go02 View Post
I seriously doubt that you will see a huge spike in ridership. There may be a small blip but those who drive will for the most part still drive. It's just another added cost of going to Mohawk. People looking at going to the college may just decide to go elsewhere if faced with the added expense. Why should people who live close by have to pay for something they don't want or need.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2010, 5:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigguy1231 View Post
I seriously doubt that you will see a huge spike in ridership. There may be a small blip but those who drive will for the most part still drive. It's just another added cost of going to Mohawk. People looking at going to the college may just decide to go elsewhere if faced with the added expense. Why should people who live close by have to pay for something they don't want or need.
Seems the majority who bothered to vote disagree with you. If they live close by, might as well take the bus since they've already paid for it.

And to add a bit of a jerky comment, those who drive can probably swing the equivalent of an extra insurance payment whereas transit users are going to save in the neighbourhood of $500.

As if people are going to stop enrolling at Mohawk in droves because there's a bus pass now. It sure hurt McMaster's enrollment.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2010, 5:25 PM

Nobody will pick another college because of this. A bus pass is usually considered a "pro" when you're selecting a university or college. Besides, the cost is a drop in the bucket compared to other fees/expenses of post secondary education.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2010, 8:02 PM

Maybe people will pick the college with the FREE BUS PASS. Seriously, not everyone sees transit as a constant negative.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2010, 9:51 PM
Needs more coffee...

Not to mention that OSAP is based on a school's tuition and fees, so OSAP will adjust to cover the new average Mohawk charges.

This means
a. OSAP monies will now be bumped up about $120 and cover the bus pass (without extra cost to students, since max repayable OSAP is $7k yearly and many receive more than that).

and

b. No student will have to spend eight hundred dollars a year out of their monthly budget any more, which OSAP doesn't assume every student pays.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2010, 7:13 AM
Concerned Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by emge View Post
Not to mention that OSAP is based on a school's tuition and fees, so OSAP will adjust to cover the new average Mohawk charges.

This means
a. OSAP monies will now be bumped up about $120 and cover the bus pass (without extra cost to students, since max repayable OSAP is $7k yearly and many receive more than that).

and

b. No student will have to spend eight hundred dollars a year out of their monthly budget any more, which OSAP doesn't assume every student pays.
Not all students get OSAP. As a matter of fact most students don't get OSAP especially if they live with their parents. I could never get it when I was in university. I made too much in the various jobs I had while in school. I know I wouldn't appreciate paying for something that would be totally useless, considering that money was comming out of my pocket. I would pay that money for parking though. When I was at Mac it used to cost me $60 per year for parking. I think bus passes back then were 20 or 25 dollars per month.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2010, 12:53 PM

Quote:
When I was at Mac it used to cost me $60 per year for parking. I think bus passes back then were 20 or 25 dollars per month.
Parking at Mohawk is currently $225 per semester, or $450 per year.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2010, 3:44 PM
Needs more coffee...

Quote:
Not all students get OSAP. As a matter of fact most students don't get OSAP especially if they live with their parents. I could never get it when I was in university. I made too much in the various jobs I had while in school. I know I wouldn't appreciate paying for something that would be totally useless, considering that money was comming out of my pocket. I would pay that money for parking though. When I was at Mac it used to cost me $60 per year for parking. I think bus passes back then were 20 or 25 dollars per month.
I'm not sure what your point is.

If you're someone without OSAP, it certainly makes more sense to pay $120/year for a bus pass than the gas, insurance, and parking on a car.

Very few students without OSAP or parental support are able to support themselves and pay for school - AND drive.

OSAP isn't impossible to get. There's been a couple summers where I made $8k or $10k in four months and still got it when I went back to school - and that was when my husband was working as well. You have to make quite a bit of money to get no OSAP at all. (although yes, it is rather frustrating to try and work while in school - if I make $1000, they take away $800 or so. I have to make less than $50/week to not have my OSAP adjusted).

Now, if a student's got Mummy and Daddy paying for the car, with their car, gas and insurance, then I don't feel so bad about the "poor kids" having to either (a) pay for parking only or (b) take the bus for $120/year. Not to mention Mummy and Daddy are probably providing free food and lodging.

But either way, that $120/year is money well spent- and when the bus is for all intents and purposes free, then it creates an incentive to take it more.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2010, 3:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emge View Post
Now, if a student's got Mummy and Daddy paying for the car, with their car, gas and insurance, then I don't feel so bad about the "poor kids" having to either (a) pay for parking only or (b) take the bus for $120/year. Not to mention Mummy and Daddy are probably providing free food and lodging.

But either way, that $120/year is money well spent- and when the bus is for all intents and purposes free, then it creates an incentive to take it more.
QFT

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure