HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Buildings & Architecture, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Jun 22, 2010, 4:05 PM

Now that's cool. 104 year old concrete still holding up well to the harsh Calgary elements, sand, salt, etc. That has to be some of the first non-wood sidewalks in the downtown area eh? I remember my mom talking about wood sidewalks in some areas as a kid growing up in Edmonton back in the late 1950's and stepping thruough one and getting a nail in the knee, so I can't imagine Calgary would be much different to have only started pouring concrete sidewalks back around the turn of the century in the central core, no?

What the heck did they do back 104 years ago that we aren't doing today with our concrete work that some of the original sidewalks of Calgary are still hanging on.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2010, 4:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooky View Post
Now that's cool. 104 year old concrete still holding up well to the harsh Calgary elements, sand, salt, etc. That has to be some of the first non-wood sidewalks in the downtown area eh? I remember my mom talking about wood sidewalks in some areas as a kid growing up in Edmonton back in the late 1950's and stepping thruough one and getting a nail in the knee, so I can't imagine Calgary would be much different to have only started pouring concrete sidewalks back around the turn of the century in the central core, no?

What the heck did they do back 104 years ago that we aren't doing today with our concrete work that some of the original sidewalks of Calgary are still hanging on.
They used a good concrete mix and didn't cheap out. That being said, I'm still amazed that there are some sidewalks that are that old, exposed concrete shouldn't last that long.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2010, 4:37 PM

Since Central Memorial is basically finished and there is still relevant discussion, maybe we should change the name to "Calgary Parks Thread" or something similar.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2010, 5:40 PM
Here and There

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
That's the NW corner of 2nd st and 15th avenue, right by my apartment, there are actually 104 year old dog prints in the concrete too.
That is awesome. I think I had cat prints in mine from 1910. In some areas, the increased quantities of salt that city is putting on the roads is to blame as well.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2010, 7:23 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
That's the NW corner of 2nd st and 15th avenue, right by my apartment, there are actually 104 year old dog prints in the concrete too.
yeah I love those, we've been trying to find a way to get the city to somehow preserve that date stamp (and perhaps dog prints) whenever they need to replace the sidewalk, or any old sidewalk.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2010, 7:25 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooky View Post

I know around 2-4th st and maybe... 14-12 ave, or thereabouts were the first sidewalks in the city.. or maybe I'm thinking of paved roads.. either way it was a rich area (think Lougheed house, demolished Burns mansion, etc) so they got that infrastructure way earlier than the rest of the city.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Buildings & Architecture, Urban Design & Heritage Issues