HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area

Old Posted Nov 18, 2011, 5:05 AM
Hindrance to Development

I'm pretty sure the one on the right in that photo is not a chick...androgyny was very "in" at the time so it can be a little hard to tell sometimes. The spot where that mini-mart is used to be the Comics & Comix downtown, a completely great comic shop in its day.

Joe's Style Shop was a great space, saw Melt-Banana there and did a couple of events there about 10 years ago. Spaces evolve, and new uses usually require old buildings. 20 or so years ago, the building on 14th and R where "Shady Lady" and "Burgers and Brew" are, was the site of some underground shows put on by a young Jerry Perry, and while on a tour of the "Crystal Ice" plant years ago there were murals and other hints that the site had once played host to underground parties or other gatherings.

Obviously, a lot of places like Joe's Style Shop have gone, and other spaces that could potentially have had the same uses (like the Crystal Dairy) were demolished, perhaps prematurely. But other spaces come into their own. Probably the most unloved and unlovely buildings in town are "Buzz Boxes," cheap tilt-up concrete warehouses, many so named because they were built by "Buzz" Oates. But in the past year or two, a couple of Sacramento's most cutting-edge institutions, Verge Gallery and Bows & Arrows/Fatface Sandwiches, both opened in those unlovely buildings--precisely because they are spaces considered unwanted and marginal by most other folks. That's where art and creativity flourish: old buildings, unwanted corners, forgotten spaces. But when attention comes and people see dollar signs in the same spaces, the creative folks who depend on cheap rent and a certain level of autonomy have to move on.

There are still plenty of such spaces in the central city, and periods like this, when there isn't a ton of go-go momentum to build stuff, is an excellent time for those spaces to be utilized by the local creative class--for band practice spaces, art studios, cafes, or just inexpensive apartments that let aspiring artists, musicians or just scenesters spend the rest of their time and money developing the creative community--which, in return, draws consumers to local vortices of art and cool. That's how scenes, and economies, develop.

There's a rather good book called The Warhol Economy, by Elizabeth Currid, about just this topic--she explains how New York's multi-billion dollar art scene is based largely on New York's older legacy of cheap rent in old buildings, which fostered the late 1960s-1970s art and music scenes, eventually becoming the fifth-largest economic sector in New York.

http://www.amazon.com/Warhol-Economy.../dp/0691128375

Old Posted Nov 18, 2011, 11:27 AM
BUFF$LUT

Really tempted to buy that book. Sounds really interesting.

Sacramento is capable of nurturing many little art communities, despite economic times. Regular unnoticed buildings become transformed into appealing galleries and venues, bringing life to what was once ignored. Vacant lots get utilized properly and become homes, parks, and places for people to gather and lurk. Communities thrive off projects like these.

I see tons of this potential in the 12th Street Corridor, between C street all the way to J Street. I feel this little corridor has the capability to almost rival J Street itself, if done correctly. I will share my suggestions here, because I am bored and nothing else to do:

NE corner of 12th and C st. -- What is this building?

It looks like it could be a neighborhood restaurant, or a pub.

SW corner of 12th and C st. -- There used to be a little abandoned shack here, and there was sign that read "Torpedo Place".

This is one of the 1st things you see when you "officially enter" downtown, coming from the 160. This lot could easily accommodate a 3-4 story housing project, with a couple of ground level shops.

12th st between C and D st.

One of my youngest memories ever is coming here with my mom to buy mexican sweet bread. Once it closed, it stayed closed forever. It should become another restaurant with snug outdoor seating, or just a local boutique.

NW corner of 12th and D st. This empty lot is pretty big.

Perhaps convert it to a little pocket park, or build something useful like more businesses with housing above.

SW corner of 12th and D st. -- Okay, that vacant space on the corner used to be a corner store, but really it reminds me of Naked Lounge on 15th and Q.

Add a cafe with several outdoor tables, and that corner will suddenly feel like a busy but cozy San Francisco street corner.

NW corner of 12th and E st. -- Okay this lot is one of the biggest eyesore lots in downtown.

It has ALWAYS been a fenced up shit-hole, and it begs to become something amazing.

NE corner of 12th and F st. Okay I feel like there should be many shops next to each other.

Alley on 12th between E and F -- currently used as parking for 524 restaurant, but it is a disguised empty lot!

Build something here. Have it compliment the vintage building next to it, and have them be connected.

SE corner of 12th and F st -- Currently a parking lot.

It's at least being used, but it's still a lot. Perhaps build something here? There are plenty of parking lots elsewhere, this one wont be missed.

NE corner of 12th and I st -- a huge parking lot next to a lightrail station.

hmm, we see what's happening by the alkali flat la valentina station, perhaps do something similar here? transit friendly housing is all the rage nowadays.

NW corner of 12th and I st -- This has been like this forever.

Wasted space, prime location.

12 street between I and J -- We know how I feel about this one.

Such a great building.

SW corner of 12th and J st. -- what a boring corner.

it's 12th and J for heavens sake. This should be more enthusiastic. Perhaps get rid of the large shrub and simply convert the corner into a mini public space, with a few places to sit and observe. Hey better than a large bush, right?

As you can see, I am very passionate and have faith in 12th street! Okay time for bed, goodnight.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2011, 4:30 PM
Hindrance to Development

None of those vacant lots were always vacant lots. Without exception, there was something there that has since been demolished for one reason or another. The "Sub Shack" sign was still the Sub Shack in the early nineties, I ate there a few times before it closed. Before the sandwich shop, there were houses on that block:

http://sacramento.pastperfect-online...50240056-1.JPG

The row of shops with the second-story bay windows were painted brown when I first moved downtown--there was a neighborhood bar, the Blue Ribbon, in one of the retail spaces, and a couple of secondhand stores.

12th and I Street used to be a Trailways station--it was built a half-block from the old union stations for electric trains you could take to Chico or Oakland (or directly to San Francisco!) until 1941. After the trains stopped it was the "Food Depot," and Jim-Denny's was open 24 hours for Trailways riders and drivers.

Total agreement about 12th and J--my wife always likes to point out that corner as a horrible place for a two-story parking structure.

Alkali Flat became the home of much of Sacramento's Mexican barrio after redevelopment in the 1950s, and it still bears the legacy of the Royal Chicano Air Force, a very well-known art group who had their gallery and bookstore at 1228 F Street (I think it's one of those vacant lots now...)--today their gallery is at 22nd and K.

But there are new galleries reopening in Alkali Flat/Mansion Flat:

http://www.sacramentopress.com/headl..._Mansion_Flats

Old Posted Nov 18, 2011, 8:29 PM
Hindrance to Development

About the "build something here" ideas--all that requires money, something in short supply these days. The way to start things out is by fixing up and using what is there, which makes a neighborhood more valuable and interesting, and attracts people who want to follow success. For those vacant lots, there are other ideas--just look at some of the things going on in parking lots and vacant lots elsewhere. Portland puts clusters of food trucks on vacant lots, which creates foot traffic and economic activity, and attracts people to other businesses nearby. Public art and murals can serve a similar purpose, or renegade "pocket parks" can pretty up a vacant corner, although sometimes property owners get upset about this (a Midtown resident fixed up a long-vacant lot at 21st and N into a mini park until the property owner got upset and fenced the place off, now it's not just a crappy vacant lot but a crappy vacant lot with a crappy fence around it.)

But it's hard to build things right now, and likely to be that way in the short term--which is why the short-term approach is to shine up the stuff we do have. The better shape the neighborhood is in, the more likely someone will express interest in taking on that vacant spot--because there's something in it for them (namely, money.)

Downturns do have their advantages: they are opportunities to experiment, for cultural scenes to try things out, and cheap rent always draws young creatives. It's mostly a matter of talking the folks who are still hoping it will be 2006 again real soon to do something with their vacant properties instead of just sitting on them.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2011, 2:42 AM
BUFF$LUT

Dang. So you're telling me 12th street used to have a sub shack, thrift stores, a train station, a bar, art galleries, and 24 hour food?? Jesus christ.

I think it's about time to resurrect 12th Street. I mean come on, it runs through Sacramento's oldest neighborhoods. I'm sick of people saying "oh you live in the ghetto part of downtown." I mean yeah it is pretty jank, with all the homeless dudes lurking by lightrail and what not, but with the proper attention, it could become a destination area for entertainment, business, and sight seeing.

I know this will all take quite a while, especially with this economy, but little shops are still popping up here and there all over Sac, which means there is some hope out there.

Right now, midtown is where it's at. Everyone wants to have their shop on J street, (including myself) and everyone wants to be seen there. Downtown? Not so much.

However, if a group of up and coming businesses got together and deliberated and worked out a deal to open up shops right next to eachother, for example here:

or here

it would be quite the movement. Let's say one space becomes an independent cafe with art, lots of cozy places to sit indoors and out with late night hours, another space becomes NEWSBEAT, another becomes a unique buy/sell/trade clothing store, and to top it all off add an exclusive business, such as a cereal bar where they only sell all sorts of cereal. It would immediately become a hot spot among young people who live nearby. And then others from midtown would flock there, because it'll give them a change of scenery, and then next thing you know, shop owners would want to open up their shops close by while they still can before everyone snags all the good spots.

And with the La Valentina housing projects nearing completion in summer 2012, there will plenty of new neighbors that wouldn't mind having 'cool' shops right across from them.

Ah, I can see it now.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2011, 6:36 AM

Sure was a bleak Thanksgiving this year.

In the Distance, Bulldozers, Excavators by C.M. Keiner, on Flickr

Old Posted Dec 1, 2011, 10:06 PM
Away since 06'

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatDarnSacramentan View Post
Sure was a bleak Thanksgiving this year.
Welcome back!

Old Posted Dec 2, 2011, 5:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan@CU View Post
Welcome back!
Thank you, sir! I actually head home tomorrow afternoon, five weeks of winter break. To stay on topic, allow me to throw in a photo or two from Thanksgiving break. I'm fairly certain I won't have to introduce this infamous landmark to you guys, but just to be on the safe side . . . here's some Rancho Seco.

Rancho Seco 7 by C.M. Keiner, on Flickr

Rancho Seco 11 by C.M. Keiner, on Flickr

Creepiest damn place I've ever been. Not sure what else I was expecting, though, from an infamous abandoned nuclear power plant.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2011, 4:35 PM

This are some awesome urban decay shots of Rancho Seco, very erie.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2011, 2:05 AM

Gentlemen, is there anything more Sacramentan than Vic's Ice Cream?

Good Old Vic's 2 by C.M. Keiner, on Flickr

Old Posted Dec 14, 2011, 5:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatDarnSacramentan View Post
Gentlemen, is there anything more Sacramentan than Vic's Ice Cream?
Gunther's?

Old Posted Dec 14, 2011, 6:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAGeoNerd View Post
Gunther's?
As a native of Land Park, I say blasphemy!

Old Posted Dec 14, 2011, 2:37 PM
West bench livin'

I'd say Whitey's Jolly Cone, but that's in West Sac....

Old Posted Dec 14, 2011, 4:47 PM
thenorth.bandcamp.com

In my suburban childhood, Leatherby's & Phipp's were my go-to spots. But Gunther's is my pic for iconic & nostalgic Sacramento ice cream shops.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2011, 10:20 PM
Kodachrome

It’s that special time of year on Capitol Mall and Old Sacramento, Christmas lights are up
inviting people to walk a few blocks and the Capitol Christmas Tree is decked out
in all its splendor. Over the last several years, it appears as if more lights have gone up
to enrich the overall experience as an inviting destination to visit and enjoy. The Wells
Fargo Center has done a fantastic job with a beautiful tree in the lobby and twinkling
lights inside and out.

Merry Christmas!

Old Posted Jan 25, 2012, 3:01 AM
Resu Deretsiger

dad was at sutter for a day and got the best view

Old Posted Jan 25, 2012, 4:41 PM

Great view, but those palm trees look horribly out of place.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2012, 8:26 PM
Hindrance to Development

Why? They have been there for a century or so.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2012, 6:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
Why? They have been there for a century or so.
Palm trees just seem out of place in Sacramento, a city of oak, maple, and redwood. I didn't know they had been there that long.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2012, 8:57 PM
West bench livin'

Take a look at the streets surrounding the Capitol building. They are lined with stunning examples of Palms, all the way around the Park. I can't imagine Capitol Park without them... except for trying to navigate on N Street immediately following a good storm... Popped a tire once driving over a palm frond!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area