HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Mar 31, 2012, 4:30 PM
Honored Member

Here is a summary of the first year of the NBA of Canada from a story that I read online by the Gauntlet (University of Calgary) - http://thegauntlet.ca/story/16299

The Maritime Provinces missed out on the birth of the CFL many decades ago. Although I don't consider the NBA to be at as high a level as the CFL, hopefully the NBA of Canada will become a significant league over the next 10 years (if it can stick around and grow during that time). Some possible future franchises (in my opinion) could be in Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Mississauga ... If the league can stick around and grow stronger over the next few years then it could also start up a Western Canada conference.

Quote:
A successful first year for the NBL

Josh Rose
Gauntlet Sports

March 29, 2012

Established in July 2011, the National Basketball League of Canada has just finished its very first playoffs. In a best-of-five final, the London Lightning versus the Halifax Rainmen was a close series. London became the first NBL Canada champion in game five, beating Halifax 116-92 on March 25.

In a press release, NBL Canada commissioner John Kennedy said, "I know I speak for the entire league when I say we're very pleased with the success we've had this year and look forward to even bigger accomplishments in the future."

League founder and Halifax Rainmen CEO Andre Levingston's main concern about the survival of the league earlier this season was regarding financial and fan support. Attracting fans, however, is no longer a concern -- the final game was played in front of over 5,000 fans. Financially, the league is supported by Rogers Communications Inc. and the NBL is currently searching for more sponsors.

NBL Canada had seven teams that remained stable in its first year. Most failed leagues gain and lose several teams in the first few years. The American Basketball Association had 11 basic franchises that constantly changed their names and moved around the United States in its nine years of existence. Part of the league's failure stemmed from selling the teams for $20,000 to any business and the enormous travelling costs. Only four of those teams became NBA franchises when the ABA merged with the NBA in 1976.

Unlike other leagues, the NBL made sure they were prepared for any problems. They demanded a high standard of conduct from their players to ensure a low number of internal clashes and off-court incidents.

The league is looking to expand in its second season.

"We've had some serious inquiries from several teams -- mostly in Ontario," said Vito Frijia, the owner of the London Lightning, in a TSN article.

The NBL will be maintaining its Canadian player quota and a salary cap. The salary cap will only increase to attract higher-level players if the league can afford it.

Old Posted May 9, 2012, 11:51 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

In the T&T today, it was mentioned that the PEI franchise may move from Summerside to Charlottetown.

This move is understandable in terms of the relative sizes of the two communities but there could be a lot of hard feelings in Summerside if this were to happen.

Old Posted May 10, 2012, 12:30 AM
ハルウララ

I'm only going to assume that the other interested Ontario cities would be places like Kitchener/Waterloo and Mississauga.

Old Posted May 31, 2012, 9:04 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I guess the PEI franchise will indeed be staying in Summerside.

There are five Ontario cities applying to join the league:
- Ottawa
- Mississauga
- Kitchener
- Windsor
- St. Catherines

If all five Ontario cities joint the league, that would mean 12 teams in the league. I wonder what the divisional line-ups would be?

I wonder if this would be possible......

East
- Halifax
- Moncton
- Prince Edward Island
- Saint John
- Quebec City
- Ottawa

West
- Oshawa
- Mississauga
- Kitchener
- St. Catherines
- London
- Windsor

Old Posted May 31, 2012, 9:12 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
I guess the PEI franchise will indeed be staying in Summerside.

There are five Ontario cities applying to join the league:
- Ottawa
- Mississauga
- Kitchener
- Windsor
- St. Catherines
Good news. I could see games in Mississauga or Kitchener (when the Rainmen are in town).

Old Posted Jun 26, 2012, 4:05 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Apparently Windsor is a go for a new franchise.

Mississauga has been given an extension for their application.

Ottawa, Kitchener and St. Catherines have bowed out for now......

Old Posted Jul 25, 2012, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Halifax expected to be named home for Toronto Raptors training camp

Metro News Halifax

By Philip Croucher

http://metronews.ca/news/halifax/310...training-camp/

July 25, 2012 Updated: July 25, 2012 | 3:50 pm

The Toronto Raptors will soon be calling Halifax home – for one week, that is.

A press conference is scheduled for Thursday morning at the Canada Games Centre where it’s expected to be announced that Canada’s only NBA franchise will be holding its training camp in Halifax this fall.

Halifax Rainmen President Andre Levingston was tight-lipped about the announcement when contacted by Metro on Wednesday, but said the news would “be exciting.”

“It’s something that’s going to be fantastic for our city and our province,” he said. “This is going to be big.”

The rumour is Halifax beat out Montreal to host the team’s training camp, which has been held outside of Toronto before.

Raptors general manager Bryan Colangelo is expected to be in Halifax for Thursday’s announcement.

Quote:
Raptors coming to Halifax in fall

July 25, 2012 - 6:07pm BY BRIAN FREEMAN SPORTS REPORTER

thechronicleherald.ca

http://thechronicleherald.ca/sports/...alifax-in-fall

The new-look Toronto Raptors are coming to Halifax.

The NBA club is expected to announce at a news conference on Thursday morning at the Canada Games Centre in Clayton Park that it will hold its training camp and an inter-squad game in the city in early October.

The news conference will include Raptors general manager Bryan Colangelo, Halifax Rainmen president and CEO Andre Levingston, and Trade Centre Ltd. CEO Scott Ferguson.

The camp is expected to be held at the new Canada Games Centre during the first week of October and would likely wrap up with an inter-squad game at the Metro Centre on Oct. 6.

Neither Levingston nor Erin Esiyok-Prime, the communications and marketing advisor for Trade Centre Ltd., would comment about today’s announcement, referring all requests to the Raptors.

Jim LaBumbard, the Raptors’ director of media relations, could not immediately be reached for comment.

This is huge. Probably has something to do with the success of the NBL and the Rainmen, which is helping to grow the sport of Basketball in Canada.

This is huge. Probably has something to do with the success of the NBL and the Rainmen, which is helping to grow the sport of Basketball in Canada.

Last edited by q12; Jul 25, 2012 at 10:56 PM.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2012, 11:55 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Good stuff. I might have to come down to the Metro Centre and take in the intersquad game.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2012, 4:44 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Apparently the Laval Kebs have been taken over by the league and will be rebranded as a Montreal team (yet to be named). I guess it was felt that the current ownership was unstable.

The Moncton Miracles first home game will be against Montreal this Sunday at 2PM. I'm looking forward to it!

Old Posted Nov 1, 2012, 6:50 PM

New Montreal Team Gets Name, Home, and Coach

http://pointstreaksites.com/view/nbl...nes/news_58514

(TORONTO, ON) Basketball fans in Montreal can now put a name to their brand new NBL team. The National Basketball League of Canada today proudly announced the official launch of the Montreal Jazz.

CEO and President of the League, Andre Levingston, says the Jazz will make their home in the Centre Pierre Charbonneau and will operate under the experienced management of Pascal Jobin, a current executive of Quebec Basketball.

Levingston also announced that the Jazz will be coached by Alejandro Hasbani. Originally from Argentina, and the current Coordinator of Youth Basketball Development for Quebec Basketball, Hasbani has held a number of previous coaching positions including the Head coach of the Montreal Sasquatch (PBL) and assistant coach of the Montreal Matrix (ABA).

"With the Jazz led by Jobin, and coached by Hasbani, fans can expect a really exciting style of play” said Levingston.

He says the team has already signed some well-known local players, such as Manix Auriantal and Ricky Volcy.

The Jazz has also added Xavier Delarue to the roster. Delarue has been playing in France and was on the championship team Besancon Basket Comte Doubs in 2008.

The Jazz will play their first game in Saint John on November 3. Tip-off will be at 7pm and fans unable to attend in person will be able to catch the game live via webcast links at nblcanada.ca. The Montreal Jazz will play their first home game on November 18th against the defending champions, the London Lightning.

“The NBL continues to be affordable and thrilling family entertainment choice, giving fans high calibre basketball and the Jazz is no exception.”

The full 2012/2013 schedule for the Jazz can be viewed on nblcanada.ca and season and individual game tickets are now on sale Pierre Charbonneau Centre Ovation box office.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2012, 7:55 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Nice logo.

I wonder if any of the (former) Kebs players will be on the team? I presume so.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2012, 9:09 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

The Moncton Miracles have won their home opener against the Montreal Jazz by a score of 99-83.

This is certainly a much more promising team than last year. We should be competitive at least, and hopefully in the top tier of the league.

I don't know the attendance for the game, but the seating area seemed fuller than at games last year and I would estimate about 2,000 people were there.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2012, 3:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

Nice logo.

I wonder if any of the (former) Kebs players will be on the team? I presume so.
The Montreal team is currently very weak. They had to pick up a number of players from Concordia to try and fill out the roster.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2012, 3:13 PM

The Saint John Mill Rats have had two home games thus far, one preseason and one regular season. They have won both games and have had over 3200 fans in attendance for both games.

The team is much better than years past and is expected to compete with Halifax and London for tops in the league. Especially worth noting is the addition of Antonio Anderson, brother of NBL All-Star Anthony Anderson also of the Mill Rats. Antonio Anderson has spent significant time in the NBA and was a standout at Memphis winning a National Championship with Derek Rose.

Should be a good year for the Mill Rats.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2012, 4:01 PM
ハルウララ

I definitely need to make it out to a game or two.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2012, 4:09 PM

Really like the new "Jazz" Logo...

This is great quality basketball...glad to see the league is surviving so far...I'm rooting for it for sure.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2012, 4:17 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

The official attendance for the Miracles home opener was 2,012. This was the highest attendance ever for the team. I hope this bodes well for the remainder of the year.

Great quality basketball. This league deserves to flourish and survive.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2012, 4:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregHickman View Post
I definitely need to make it out to a game or two.
You really should try and get out. If you enjoy basketball at all you wont be dissapointed.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2012, 1:41 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Ottawa has just been awarded an NBL expansion franchise for the 2013-14 season. This gives the league nine teams.

It would be nice to see at least a dozen teams in the league by 2015.

Current Teams:

- Halifax
- Moncton
- Saint John
- Summerside

- Montreal
- Oshawa
- London
- Windsor

Future Expansion Franchises:

- Ottawa

Here in the east, it would be good to see a team in Fredericton. I don't know what sort of a basketball culture exists in St. John's, perhaps Signal could enlighten us. Beyond that, I imagine future expansion would be limited to central Canada and (eventually) the west.

One good thing about adding franchises in some of the larger central Canadian cities is that it will help to build the profile of the leauge. Once the west gets involved in the league, I could see up to 24 teams in the NBL.

I seriously think this league is here to stay!

Old Posted Nov 14, 2012, 3:46 PM
Millennial Ascendancy

Not sure what the desire would be in St. John's. The Ice Caps came here and have been a massive success. People were falling over one another to get to games. I think they're almost entirely sold out for the entirety of this year.

While the Ice Caps are hockey, and AHL hockey at that, the point is I get the impression that people simply like supporting St. John's teams with a profile. If the right person (Danny Williams or an associate essentially) brought a team here and said "look guys, be proud," I think the crowd would follow.

I'd love to see a team. Travel is always an issue with having a team in St. John's though, especially for sports with winter seasons. More so for visiting teams than for the home team.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces