HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Feb 14, 2014, 1:00 PM
Global Citizen

Nice photos. Did you also have time to visit Abud Dhabi and Sharjah?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightsky View Post
About the statement about abandonded streets, it was not true at all expect for some areas in the outskirts, actually there are many more pedestrians then in many American cites. May be it's different summertime when it's too hot to go outside.
Well, I guess it really depends when you go there. I was there last July and the streets were almost entirely deserted - it basically felt like walking through a ghost town.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2014, 2:27 PM
Illustrator, editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by R@ptor View Post
Nice photos. Did you also have time to visit Abud Dhabi and Sharjah?

Well, I guess it really depends when you go there. I was there last July and the streets were almost entirely deserted - it basically felt like walking through a ghost town.
Yes I visited Abu Dhabi, just a short tour for half a day with a guide, but I plan to make a separate thread about AD, in my opinion a both nicer and greener city then Dubai, but at the same hand less exciting. I only saw Sharjah from the top of Burj Khalifa!

I can imagine that, with 40-50 degrees C outside summertime noone want to get out. That's why they built all these air conditioned malls and bus stops! During my visit it was very comfortable, 20-23 degrees, it even rained 3 times!

All my diagram drawings - more than 700!:
http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?14670510

Old Posted Feb 16, 2014, 9:37 PM
Illustrator, editor

AL SHINDAGHA AND HERITAGE VILLAGE:

Al Shindagha is the oldest part of Dubai (together with Al Bastakiya), established in the 1830s. This peninsual is situated on the Northwest shore of Dubai Creek, and borders Bur Dubai. This is where many South Asian workers live. This neighbourhood has more in common with Cairo or Tunis, or even India, then with the modern part of Dubai and western cities. Here you can find the Heritage Village, a historical area with refurbished old resiential houses in Middle Eastern style -built in sandstone and clay, and arrangements, museums and installations that show life before oil -including camels and bedouins, when Dubai was a fishing village. You can also find the historical areas Fishing Village and Diving Village here. Al Shindagha is also where you find the home of the older relatives of the Al Maktoum ruling family, like Sheikh Zayed. Here you also have a nice view of Deira, Bur Dubai and the new skyline in the far distance. The busy Shindagha tunnel connects the old part with Deira under the creek.

You can red more about it on the link below:

http://www.worldtravelimages.net/Dubai_Burdubai.html

Heritage Village:

Bur Dubai, part of Shindagha and Heritage Village with the new Downtown and Burj Khalifa in the background!

Bedouin houses, Desert Zone

Deira, Bastakiya and Bur Dubai seen from Al Shindagha, popular for relaxing. The dominating towers in the picture are Bastakiya Mosque, National Bank of Dubai and Juma Grand Mosque.

You can watch tons of pics from the Shindagha area on the link below:

http://www.worldtravelimages.net/Dubai_Shindagha.html

Old Posted Feb 16, 2014, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtown,man View Post
Dubai is like a conservative on this forum: hated.

I went there for a week, stayed in the Rose Rayhaan. LOVED IT. Woke up everyday on the 51st floor to amazing views(above the clouds one day). THE CITY IS NOT NYC. THERE IS NOT THE TRADITIONAL URBAN FEEL OF THE WEST OR N.A.

Get over it.

It is different and interesting in its own ways. It will 'aw' anyone who goes. You may not want to live there, but I think any skyscraper enthusiast needs to visit at least once.
So are you saying that like many conservatives, Dubai has little taste and just throws money around hoping to impress the taste-less people of the world? I'm sure they do...impress that is....well at least people who are easily impressed by shiny new objects. Er.. sometimes I'm impressed by shiny new objects. I still wouldn't mind seeing it in person. Just not real bad. I'll probably never say "I really, really want I could go to Dubai." But I like the photos. And I'm sure I would be impressed by many sights things there. But I've travelled a lot and have seen lots of impressive buildings and the bottom line as to what makes a place attractive to me is really its people and culture. Having traveled a little in the Middle East I have to say I do not care for the oppressive religious culture (and I'm being kind). At the end of the day money really can't buy you love.

I think its silly to show pictures and not expect people to comment on what they are seeing or what they think about the place they are viewing. Unless you work for the tourist board or ministry of propaganda.

Last edited by ozone; Feb 16, 2014 at 10:46 PM.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2014, 11:06 PM
Illustrator, editor

Old Posted Feb 17, 2014, 7:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozone View Post
So are you saying that like many conservatives, Dubai has little taste and just throws money around hoping to impress the taste-less people of the world? I'm sure they do...impress that is....well at least people who are easily impressed by shiny new objects. Er.. sometimes I'm impressed by shiny new objects. I still wouldn't mind seeing it in person. Just not real bad. I'll probably never say "I really, really want I could go to Dubai." But I like the photos. And I'm sure I would be impressed by many sights things there. But I've travelled a lot and have seen lots of impressive buildings and the bottom line as to what makes a place attractive to me is really its people and culture. Having traveled a little in the Middle East I have to say I do not care for the oppressive religious culture (and I'm being kind). At the end of the day money really can't buy you love.

I think its silly to show pictures and not expect people to comment on what they are seeing or what they think about the place they are viewing. Unless you work for the tourist board or ministry of propaganda.
See, I get a different feel for the Middle East(or at least Dubai). That could be for the fact that I speak Arabic so I can connect better, perhaps.

Of course people can express negativity, but lets be real, the word Dubai can't even be mentioned on here without hate coming from all angles.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2014, 11:37 AM
Illustrator, editor

There is nothing wrong with not liking the city, but I would prefer if the comments were about the actual photos and not the city in general, that belongs to a city thread and not a photo thread.
What buildings/streets are nice and what places are especially ugly? Is there some place you like for example, what buildings are the most ugly and why? I don't think there is any city in the world where you don't like anything...

I also think that photography is about capturing places and moments, if you take photos of a warzone it doesn't mean you like war but you could perhaps still take good photos, and I could like these photos.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2014, 7:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomayoplease View Post
Great photos but am i the only one that doesn't find Dubai appealing?
I was just thinking that also. That place looks like the ugliest, most forced, city in the world.

The buildings have little or no urban connectivity to each other.

Someone needs to break the news to them that good urban planning does not consit of all trophy ego skyscrapers.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2014, 8:12 PM

^^^^

Just recycle that statement about 50 more times and then you'll know where this thread started and where it where end.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2014, 8:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey View Post
I was just thinking that also. That place looks like the ugliest, most forced, city in the world.

The buildings have little or no urban connectivity to each other.

Someone needs to break the news to them that good urban planning does not consit of all trophy ego skyscrapers.
And Houston is a beacon for the world in terms of its urbanity? No.

Dubai does have an old city which is more dense than most American cities. Its kind of like looking at Houston and avoiding looking at downtown(which is waaaay dead compared to old Dubai) while only looking at the burbs.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2014, 2:41 AM

Quote:
And Houston is a beacon for the world in terms of its urbanity? No.

Dubai does have an old city which is more dense than most American cities. Its kind of like looking at Houston and avoiding looking at downtown(which is waaaay dead compared to old Dubai) while only looking at the burbs.
have you been to Houston...lol

It's a city of 6+ million that had to get by on true grit, not glam, and somehow managed to carve out some unique cultural pockets (montrose, museum district, hermann park, the village, Heights, etc.) that are distinct to Houston..... and Houston alone.

I can truly say that Houston is heads and shoulders above a place like Dubai. Why because they learned the hard way that the dubai way is NOT how you build a great city. True, Houston may have built a handful of trophy lifeless skyscrapers in the 70's and 80's but the picture today is totally different.

If you've been keeping up with Houston lately, you will know that they are really focusing on that urban connective tissue that really ties a city together. City parks, mixed use developments, mass transit, residential pockets, etc. are all under construction right now and it is a very exciting time for Houston.

A lesson I've learned from studying the growth of cities are that Cities are built in layers...each layer must naturally follow the last. you can't artificially create a layer of a city or artificially create demand.

Hopefully Dubai can learn form the mistakes of Houston. I don't know the debt load of those buildings or the occupancy sitiuation but hopefully Dubai can make it to its "next layer"

Old Posted Feb 18, 2014, 4:02 AM

I think the architecture is great, the skyline looks very impressive. The skyscrapers say a whole lot more than anything in the US(my opinion). Only the Chicago skyline can compare, New York skyline is to old, and the WTC building isn't saying much, it almost looks like a tall prison. Considering how fast the new Dubai was thrown together, it turned out great in my opinion. I would like to visit it, but I know I can't. I do wonder how the neighborhoods look there, are they like ours or poor, or spaced out. It doesn't seem that there are a lot of high rise residential communities. The thing to me about Dubai, is it seems that they are going to keep adding more skyscrapers and communities that will keep changing the the scenery for many more years, leaving our cities in the dust.

Last edited by Kenneth; Feb 18, 2014 at 4:08 AM. Reason: add more comment

Old Posted Feb 18, 2014, 8:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey View Post
have you been to Houston...lol

It's a city of 6+ million that had to get by on true grit, not glam, and somehow managed to carve out some unique cultural pockets (montrose, museum district, hermann park, the village, Heights, etc.) that are distinct to Houston..... and Houston alone.

I can truly say that Houston is heads and shoulders above a place like Dubai. Why because they learned the hard way that the dubai way is NOT how you build a great city. True, Houston may have built a handful of trophy lifeless skyscrapers in the 70's and 80's but the picture today is totally different.

If you've been keeping up with Houston lately, you will know that they are really focusing on that urban connective tissue that really ties a city together. City parks, mixed use developments, mass transit, residential pockets, etc. are all under construction right now and it is a very exciting time for Houston.

A lesson I've learned from studying the growth of cities are that Cities are built in layers...each layer must naturally follow the last. you can't artificially create a layer of a city or artificially create demand.

Hopefully Dubai can learn form the mistakes of Houston. I don't know the debt load of those buildings or the occupancy sitiuation but hopefully Dubai can make it to its "next layer"
Yeah, I've been to Houston. I brought Houston up because A. You're from there(well, thats what city you have listed) and B. Houston is hated on by many for its lack of urbanity etc etc.

So yes, I do think Houston's downtown is way more dead than it should be. However, probably like you(and I do keep up with the culture and developments there) I do see many great things happening now there and in the future.

Houston has over 6 million, Dubai has like what...2 million?

I am not blind. I saw the issues of Dubai first hand. But I also went to old Dubai, loved the dense and semi-chaotic street life. The Metro was insane. Absolutely beautiful and cheap. No crime. Sure I ended up renting a car, and the city(new part anyways) is based off one damn road, so yeah it is road-centrist. I will never pretend that Dubai is the type of city most of us here would want to live in, but all I am saying is it does get way more heat than it should, and it is worth a visit for anyone who likes skyscrapers.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2014, 1:49 PM
Illustrator, editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth View Post
I think the architecture is great, the skyline looks very impressive. The skyscrapers say a whole lot more than anything in the US(my opinion). Only the Chicago skyline can compare, New York skyline is to old, and the WTC building isn't saying much, it almost looks like a tall prison. Considering how fast the new Dubai was thrown together, it turned out great in my opinion. I would like to visit it, but I know I can't. I do wonder how the neighborhoods look there, are they like ours or poor, or spaced out. It doesn't seem that there are a lot of high rise residential communities. The thing to me about Dubai, is it seems that they are going to keep adding more skyscrapers and communities that will keep changing the the scenery for many more years, leaving our cities in the dust.
If you follow this thread you will see pictures from many different parts of Dubai. There are many rich residential areas, mostly with residential skyscrapers but also mansions like in Emirates Hills, but also working class areas as well in Bur Dubai (old part) and close to Jumeirah Road (not so fancy as you might think despite the vicinity to the beach).

In fact there are actually not many skyscrapers or even highrises in the most part of the city. Look at the pictures from Burj Khalifa I posted, the majority of the city is filled with very low buildings, 1-3 floors, just like LA.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2014, 1:56 PM
Illustrator, editor

And please stay on the topic! It's not about Houston, it's about Dubai! And I already know that you hate Dubai, so you don't have to tell that 50 times!

Many people do like it hower, otherwise they wouldn't get that many tourists and rich people like David Beckham for example wouldn't buy a house there.

I can tell you this is the cleanest and safest city I have ever been to! American and European cities don't even come close
The metro is really good, it is easy to navigate and the old city, Bur Dubai, that is pretty large, has a very natural feeling with old buildings and a nice creek. The new parts, especially Jumeirah Road and Dubai Marina reminds a lot of Miami and LA, that I also think are great cities! It's a bit different with all the mosques and people in traditional dresses though. And mind that Dubai has grown very fast, so some space in the new city are still desert, next to new skyscrapers and malls. And don't forget that these areas are actually in the outskirts of Dubai, Bur Dubai, Shindhagha and Deira is the real city center!

Old Posted Feb 18, 2014, 3:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightsky View Post
And please stay on the topic! It's not about Houston, it's about Dubai! And I already know that you hate Dubai, so you don't have to tell that 50 times!

Many people do like it hower, otherwise they wouldn't get that many tourists and rich people like David Beckham for example wouldn't buy a house there.

I can tell you this is the cleanest and safest city I have ever been to! American and European cities don't even come close
The metro is really good, it is easy to navigate and the old city, Bur Dubai, that is pretty large, has a very natural feeling with old buildings and a nice creek. The new parts, especially Jumeirah Road and Dubai Marina reminds a lot of Miami and LA, that I also think are great cities! It's a bit different with all the mosques and people in traditional dresses though. And mind that Dubai has grown very fast, so some space in the new city are still desert, next to new skyscrapers and malls. And don't forget that these areas are actually in the outskirts of Dubai, Bur Dubai, Shindhagha and Deira is the real city center!

Oh man no kidding! I was in one of the older parts of town and didn't have enough cash to get what I had picked out at this store, so the owner(and as far as I could see, the only worker in this small business) walked me about 1/4th a mile to an atm. I asked him if he was scared leaving his store unattended and he just chimed in ..."this is Dubai..nooo."

Old Posted Feb 18, 2014, 5:52 PM
Illustrator, editor

Quote:
Oh man no kidding! I was in one of the older parts of town and didn't have enough cash to get what I had picked out at this store, so the owner(and as far as I could see, the only worker in this small business) walked me about 1/4th a mile to an atm. I asked him if he was scared leaving his store unattended and he just chimed in ..."this is Dubai..nooo."
Yes I even heard you can forget your wallet and get it back at the same place the day after. On the other hand there are very harsh islamic rules, even for foreigners, so there are both positive and negative aspects regarding crimes and punishment.

More photos will come soon

Old Posted Feb 18, 2014, 6:38 PM

Quote:
Houston has over 6 million, Dubai has like what...2 million?
This is my whole point. Dubai is artificially trying to skip steps in its evolution. It's like somone trying to turn a city the size of San Antonio into a New York City overnight by simply throwing money at it to create flashy "archtiectural" icons.

The market has to develop at its own pace and it has a skyline that is more indicative of a city with 6, 8, or 10 Million inhabitants. Water will find its level and the luster of the "new" buildings will wear of and Dubai will once agiain it is a city of 2 million people. I even read somewhere that a large % of that population is migrant workers from India, Bangledesh, Pakistan, etc. that have been brought in to work on the construction projects. What happens when they return and when the novelty of Dubai wears off?

The real question I would like answers to are:

What is the occupancy rate of their buildings (office and residential)?
How were they financed? Who financed them? and similar questions that speak to the economic viability of the city or else we could be lookign at the biggest bubble the world has ever seen.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2014, 7:59 PM
Illustrator, editor

71% of Dubais population are Asian, most from India (51%), Pakistan, Bangladesh, and the Phillippines. Only 17% are actually Emiratis! Almost all modern buildings in Dubai have been built by workers from South Asia, unfortunately with bad working conditions. These Asian workers send money to their poor relatives at home. It's really bad, but remember Empire State and the pyramids of Egypt were built the same way. So just enjoy the pictures and the views, like I did

Old Posted Feb 18, 2014, 8:01 PM
Illustrator, editor

AL SHINDAGHA AND HERITAGE VILLAGE:

Al Shindagha is the oldest part of Dubai (together with Al Bastakiya), established in the 1830s. This peninsual is situated on the Northwest shore of Dubai Creek, and borders Bur Dubai. This is where many South Asian workers live. This neighbourhood has more in common with Cairo or Tunis, or even India, then with the modern part of Dubai and western cities. Here you can find the Heritage Village, a historical area with refurbished old resiential houses in Middle Eastern style -built in sandstone and clay, and arrangements, museums and installations that show life before oil -including camels and bedouins, when Dubai was a fishing village. You can also find the historical areas Fishing Village and Diving Village here. Al Shindagha is also where you find the home of the older relatives of the Al Maktoum ruling family, like Sheikh Zayed. Here you also have a nice view of Deira, Bur Dubai and the new skyline in the far distance. The busy Shindagha tunnel connects the old part with Deira under the creek.

You can red more about it on the link below:

http://www.worldtravelimages.net/Dubai_Burdubai.html

Heritage Village:

Bur Dubai, part of Shindagha and Heritage Village with the new Downtown and Burj Khalifa in the background!

Bedouin houses, Desert Zone

Deira, Bastakiya and Bur Dubai seen from Al Shindagha, popular for relaxing. The dominating towers in the picture are Bastakiya Mosque, National Bank of Dubai and Juma Grand Mosque.

You can watch tons of pics from the Shindagha area on the link below:

http://www.worldtravelimages.net/Dubai_Shindagha.html

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos