HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Sports & Outdoor Recreation

Old Posted Feb 27, 2009, 7:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
Then it would have gone on Carole James' "Olympic costs" lists, along with the PMB and new St. Paul's Campus...
Somebody in 2004 or 2005 should have ran in there with a shotgun and shoot massive holes into the roof so that it would deflate and it would give the gov't an excuse for stadium renovations much earlier.....that person with the shotgun would preferably be towerguy, rip.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2009, 2:15 AM

Lions hope for $100m boost hosting Grey Cup

By Lowell Ullrich, The Province
February 27, 2009 2:02 PM

David Braley did not try to suggest there was armed combat in the boardroom when the CFL’s board of governors voted to award the 2011 Grey Cup game to Vancouver.

“There was a little struggle, a little arm-twisting,” the owner of the Lions said Friday. “But we prevailed.”

That may account for the fact Braley looked composed as ever after it became official at a downtown Vancouver news conference. After all, Braley said he has known the game would be coming to B.C. Place Stadium for better than four months.

“I can keep a secret, you know,” he said.

It was definitely a case of style over substance. You had Lions cheerleaders, B.C. Premier Gordon Campbell and a host of other dignitaries on hand.

You might have had the chairman of the Grey Cup committee for 2011 in the room, too.

Four of the original Waterboys, the business group that helps Braley locally, were on hand. They included Canwest Publishing president/CEO Dennis Skulsky and Pacific Newspaper Group marketing vice-president Jamie Pitblado.

When someone asked if the next chairman was in the room, Braley said: “There’s a 50-per-cent chance he’s in the room.”

The goal for whoever is asked to run the show for the Lions owner, who paid around $3.5 million for the rights to stage the game, will be to top the 2005 affair, which was sold out eight weeks in advance and derived an estimated $76 million in economic benefits for the province.

Braley said the goal this time is $100 million, and to do it he said the majority of events connected to the Grey Cup Festival this time will be staged at the new downtown Trade and Convention Centre.

They are lofty goals. The trick for the Lions will be not to raise ticket prices past an acceptable pain threshold. Last time the game was held at the dome, the top ticket was $225. It was $274 in Montreal last year and is $375 this time around, when the game will be played at a smaller McMahon Stadium in Calgary.

What became clear Friday, however, was that the fact the Lions are about to be playing in an upgraded facility had a direct effect on the board of governors decision.

It would logically follow that the 2011 game would go to Hamilton, but commissioner Mark Cohon said Vancouver has the right stuff.

“In today’s modern Grey Cup you need a facility,” said Cohon.

In three years Vancouver should have everything it needs to stage another party.

lullrich@theprovince.com

Old Posted Feb 28, 2009, 5:39 AM

So in the next 3 years Vancouver will host the Junos, the Stanley Cup finals, the Olympics, and then the Grey Cup. In that order.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2009, 6:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denscity View Post
So in the next 3 years Vancouver will host the Junos, the Stanley Cup finals, the Olympics, and then the Grey Cup. In that order.
Well, actually:
- 2009 Junos
- 2009 World Police & Fire Summer Games
- 2010 Olympics
- 2010 Stanley Cup Finals
- 2011 World OutGames
- 2011 Grey Cup

Old Posted Feb 28, 2009, 6:09 AM
Hello World

I'd buy you two a Stanley Cup final ticket if Canucks get into the final in the 2009/2010 season

Old Posted Feb 28, 2009, 7:11 AM

Hypothetically speaking, if the Caps get into MLS in 2011 there is the slight possibility that they could make it into the Conference Playoffs for mid-Nov as well as have a few of sell-outs in the process

Old Posted Feb 28, 2009, 8:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetMapel View Post
I'd buy you two a Stanley Cup final ticket if Canucks get into the final in the 2009/2010 season
Add me too, as long as I don't need to buy you anything if they don't make it

Old Posted Mar 1, 2009, 11:03 PM
Glorfied Overrated Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denscity View Post
i will buy season tickets to the Canucks, and donate them to Kids Up Front if they make it to the Stanley Cup finals in the next 2 years.

Pinky: I think so, Brain, but this time, you put the trousers on the chimp.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2009, 3:53 PM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
which puts the 100th grey cup in Tdot... boo
I think you're right there. The only competition will be Winnipeg, Saskatchewan, and Hamilton. It's possible the 100th Grey Cup could go to Winnipeg in their proposed 45,000 Bomber Stadium, but I doubt it will be ready in time. Staging the 100th in decrepit Ivor Wynne just doesn't seem likely. It has great sight lines, but it's just not a good enough facility.

2011 in Vancouver sound awesome though. Will this be the first major sporting event with the new roof?

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Sports & Outdoor Recreation