HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Apr 11, 2007, 2:08 PM
Reliable Source

Hopefully tending to upscale, publicized and attractive for CP, GWCC and AmericasMart visitors, with some well-maintained multimedia and display common areas. There's plenty of parking space for the locals as well.

I'm sorry Cousins didn't acquire and develop it as a multilevel "Avenue".

Old Posted Apr 11, 2007, 6:09 PM
Spire-ite

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanthemanatl View Post
I still think an Atlanta version of NYC's Chelsea Market, or a "downtown" version of the Dekalb Farmer's Market would be an awesome idea for the old Macy's building.
I think that would be a great idea in concept, but downtown doesn't have the residential force to support the actual market like that. Now, I think SoNo might be a wonderful use of this concept.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2007, 6:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidtownMile View Post
I think that would be a great idea in concept, but downtown doesn't have the residential force to support the actual market like that. Now, I think SoNo might be a wonderful use of this concept.
You mean like Sweet Auburn market?

Old Posted Apr 11, 2007, 7:43 PM

Quote:
I would agree that Downtown doesn't currently have the residential numbers to support it, but I would think that a combination of tourists, conventioneers, residents, and daytime office workers might support it until more people move Downtown.

As for SoNo, that would rock, since I live there!

Old Posted Apr 11, 2007, 8:11 PM
Novice RealEstate Magnate

How does Midtown's per capita income in 1 and 3 mile radii compare to Buckhead's?

This is the real number that any potential retailers are interested in.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2007, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanthemanatl View Post
I would agree that Downtown doesn't currently have the residential numbers to support it, but I would think that a combination of tourists, conventioneers, residents, and daytime office workers might support it until more people move Downtown.
yeah, if it was like the Strip District in Pittsburgh or the Reading Terminal Market in Philly it would both support whatever residential population there is as well as be a tourist attraction if you got high quality (not plastic could-be-anywhere), shops/produce stalls/lunch counters with genuine Atlanta connections. What Sweet Auburn was meant to be, I think.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2007, 10:25 PM
Reliable Source

Let's pitch it to the new owner.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2007, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoDean View Post
How does Midtown's per capita income in 1 and 3 mile radii compare to Buckhead's?

This is the real number that any potential retailers are interested in.
Here's an overview of the Midtown trade area:

http://www.midtownmile.com/trade_area.html

And here are some for Downtown:

http://www.atlantadowntown.com/Doing...own_Glance.asp

I believe there's also some good retail market information in the report at:

http://www.atlantadowntown.com/ImagineDowntownIntro.asp

From everything I've heard,Downtown/Midtown are statically some of the most under-retailed urban areas in the nation.

"Atlanta - it's getting there."

Old Posted Apr 12, 2007, 5:32 AM
Spire-ite

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem View Post
You mean like Sweet Auburn market?

Yes and no. Sweet Auburn is outstanding. It is such a great farmers' market-type installation. I think there is potential to have another similar area with more international or higher-end culinary wares. Having a culinary destination area like that (with a combination of markets) could actually be a wonderful defining aspect for these regions of Atlanta. It also would serve to promote both the culinary and cosmopolitan reputation of the city. We've got some great chefs that love to discuss their ideas and work. Why not reward them with a place where they can meet their customers and truly get creative with a plethora of items right in front of them.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2007, 1:36 PM
Novice RealEstate Magnate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminus View Post
Here's an overview of the Midtown trade area:

http://www.midtownmile.com/trade_area.html

And here are some for Downtown:

http://www.atlantadowntown.com/Doing...own_Glance.asp

I believe there's also some good retail market information in the report at:

http://www.atlantadowntown.com/ImagineDowntownIntro.asp

From everything I've heard,Downtown/Midtown are statically some of the most under-retailed urban areas in the nation.
Great info, how does the $81K Average HH income compare to Buckhead? (For comparison to see if high-end retailers would prefer a buckhead or midtown location if forced to choose).

Also, what the heck is Psychographic Segmentation?

Old Posted Apr 12, 2007, 1:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiorenza View Post
Let's pitch it to the new owner.
I'm there, man!

Old Posted Apr 12, 2007, 3:51 PM

Quote:
Yes and no. Sweet Auburn is outstanding. It is such a great farmers' market-type installation. I think there is potential to have another similar area with more international or higher-end culinary wares. Having a culinary destination area like that (with a combination of markets) could actually be a wonderful defining aspect for these regions of Atlanta. It also would serve to promote both the culinary and cosmopolitan reputation of the city. We've got some great chefs that love to discuss their ideas and work. Why not reward them with a place where they can meet their customers and truly get creative with a plethora of items right in front of them.
Great idea. Is the Food Network based here in ATL? Some interesting possibilities...

Old Posted Apr 12, 2007, 4:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstoner View Post
Great idea. Is the Food Network based here in ATL? Some interesting possibilities...
Pretty sure the network is based out of New York. However, I can name at least one popular Chef on their network that is from Atlanta (and filsm regularly here), and another from Savannah. There may be even more, but I'm just not that into food network. Good Eats is the shit though.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2007, 4:44 PM

Food Network's HQ is in the Chelsea Market building near the Meatpacking District. Paula Deen is from Savannah and tapes her show from there. Tyler Florence is from Greenville, South Carolina. i don't know what Atlanta chef you are thinking of. Who is it?

Old Posted Apr 12, 2007, 5:10 PM

It's Alton Brown!!!!!

I've bumped into him a couple of times.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2007, 5:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdawg View Post
Food Network's HQ is in the Chelsea Market building near the Meatpacking District. Paula Deen is from Savannah and tapes her show from there. Tyler Florence is from Greenville, South Carolina. i don't know what Atlanta chef you are thinking of. Who is it?
I think Paula actually does the bulk of her filming in her home in Savannah now. I remember her mentioning on one of her shows that the kitchen in her new home was specifically designed with the idea in mind that she could shoot more episodes right there in Savannah.

BTW, Alton Brown's show just won a Peabody Award....very prestigious!

Old Posted Apr 12, 2007, 6:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Cane View Post
It's Alton Brown!!!!!

I've bumped into him a couple of times.
Every once in awhile, you see them filming at Harry's Farmers Market in Roswell.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2007, 7:09 PM

I love me some Paula Deen! My boyfriend and I are addicted to her. She seems so generally warm and funny and i love her little cackle/laugh.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2007, 7:30 PM

Alton Brown is awesome. I love how he gives you the "science" behind cooking. One FN "chef" I cant stand, however, is Sooondra Llllee and her wretched "food" kreations.

For the Midtown Mile, does anyone know if something is planned at the Federal Reserve. I know they probably wont allow any construction there, but can something be done to minimze this huge break in the street wall? I think a really attractive fence could be put up (to sort of give people something to "push" back on) or is that totally anti-urban?

Old Posted Apr 12, 2007, 7:48 PM
Dutton Brown Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaca View Post
For the Midtown Mile, does anyone know if something is planned at the Federal Reserve. I know they probably wont allow any construction there, but can something be done to minimze this huge break in the street wall? I think a really attractive fence could be put up (to sort of give people something to "push" back on) or is that totally anti-urban?
Perhaps there could be a marketplace with street-vendors and such. It could be a small performance area with dancing/musical performers, or a place where public demonstrations (like the tobacco "truth" ads or something) are held. If there is enough pedestrian traffic, I could see this space being put to good use. Don't know how protective they are of that space though. It seems that after the majority of Peachtree is developed in this area (with buildings/stores up to the street), this open space might be valued and could be put to great use.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta