HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Apr 8, 2017, 9:25 AM

Great story, fantastic photos. Incredible to see intact Roman buildings, especially when they are so well photogrpahed.

Last edited by Bedhead; Apr 10, 2017 at 5:44 PM.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2017, 1:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipani View Post
But how's the pizza?
Lol, maaah... Not really any better than local pasta, I assume. But they got other specialties, huh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
La Maison Carrée was recently restored I believe. Looks incredibly beautiful now and it's amazing it survived war and Christianity so intact.
Right. I could see in some Fr threads, it was all dirty and looked like it was decaying before. They did a wonderful job to it, which might include stone replacement, but then they carefully preserve the original looks for the building is obviously listed. This must be the best preserved piece of real original Roman architecture in the entire country.

You'll notice that most of ancient Rome's leaders were nothing nice to early Christians, and that Christianity ended up heavily ripping off that style over a millennium later anyway.

Nice thread. Sure I'd enjoy a visit.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2017, 11:55 PM
Montérégien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Awesomesauce View Post
Some lovely spaces there. Thanks for sharing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
Beautiful. Love the canal especially.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLO View Post
Spectacular! What a special place, I could be content to live out my days in a place like that. Very nice photography as well....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightsky View Post
Nice photos, great architecture, Nimes is a hidden gem!
Quote:
Originally Posted by montréaliste View Post
Great shots!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedhead View Post
Great story, fantastic photos. Incredible to see intact Roman buildings, especially when they are so well photogrpahed.
WOW, thanks a lot for all the good words, Messieurs ! I can't wait to share another travel story here, and to read all of yours as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwell View Post
Great shots! I've been listening to a podcast about the fall of the Roman Empire and just finished the episode about Roman Gaul, so this was very timely. Also helps explain why Roman buildings in this area were more likely to survive compared to others.
Thanks, Niwell ! I am very curious about those reasons. Is that podcast available online ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
I'll be in the area again in a few weeks to stay with family. At some point I need to get my photos uploaded to a site (from there and lots of other places).
Give me a sign when you'll do so. I was looking at my pics recently, and I thought you were right. Arles would certainly be worth a little thread here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipani View Post
But how's the pizza?
You made me laugh The fact is... I had pizza in Nîmes, one night. And it was delicious ;-) French pizza may not equal the italian one, but I can say that the French have a way with fresh market ingredients.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousquet View Post
Lol, maaah... Not really any better than local pasta, I assume. But they got other specialties, huh.
Oh là là, vous êtes pessimiste

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousquet View Post
Right. I could see in some Fr threads, it was all dirty and looked like it was decaying before. They did a wonderful job to it, which might include stone replacement, but then they carefully preserve the original looks for the building is obviously listed. This must be the best preserved piece of real original Roman architecture in the entire country.You'll notice that most of ancient Rome's leaders were nothing nice to early Christians, and that Christianity ended up heavily ripping off that style over a millennium later anyway.
Interesting points. If you look at my pictures on the previous page, you'll notice, on La Maison Carrée, that you see the pieces that were replaced, especially on the columns.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos