HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > General Discussion

Old Posted Sep 14, 2010, 3:45 AM

http://www.bytownmuseum.com/images/i...7/cultur16.jpg

This photo was taken on August 31, 1938 showing the construction of the war memorial and the expansion of the Plaza Bridge to its current width. The old Post Office was demolished to make way for the memorial and the new Post Office at Sparks and Elgin was built shortly after this photo. The parkland was the former site of the Russell Hotel and Ottawa City Hall, both destroyed by fire and demolished.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2010, 4:09 AM

Not really construction but this is an incredible historic photo of downtown Ottawa taken from the Zepplin Samuel de Champlain in 1929. You can see the shadow over what is likely the final Dey's Rink where the Ottawa Senators played until 1923. Have things ever changed since then. You can see the Russel Hotel in the upper left corner. It had already been damaged by fire but not yet demolished. Ottawa City Hall is next to it (surrounded with some trees). City Hall burned in 1931.

http://www.vintagewings.ca/rsrc/vwc/...Champlain7.jpg

Old Posted Sep 14, 2010, 2:54 PM

Very nice photo! The zepplin shadow is amazing.

I see the Drill Hall and parade grounds (site of the current City Hall). I think it is Slater which extends to The Basin so the Mackenzie King Bridge would be half way between that and Albert, extending across the canal (parallel to Laurier - the other bridge) to just off the point of the rail shed.

The parade grounds got filled with 'Temporary' Buildings during WW2 (as you mentioned previously) and they remained for many years after that. These were not the only 'Temporary' Buildings in the city however; I remember the ones at Carling and Preston being there until well into the 1970s. I guess the one near the Supreme Court finally got removed also. Maybe we should have saved one as an example.

It is interesting that the north side of Laurier was chosen for the Confederation Park instead of removing the 'Temporary' Buildings and re-instating the parade grounds.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2010, 6:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
Another favourite photo. The opening of the current Billings Bridge in 1915. Notice the trees on the left. There used to be an island in the river that the bridge crossed over. I wonder if the island washed away over the years. I got into an argument with an old timer who suggested that the island was still there. It isn't.

look at the link. The picture transfers over too large.

http://www.gloucesterhistory.com/
It was dug out and dumped on the shore to raise the shoreline. If you go to the Linda Thom park, west of Bank and North of Billings Bridge, you'll see that the level ground ceases at the west end of the park. Also notice big chunks of concrete to hold up the shore.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2010, 9:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHOOLE View Post
It was dug out and dumped on the shore to raise the shoreline. If you go to the Linda Thom park, west of Bank and North of Billings Bridge, you'll see that the level ground ceases at the west end of the park. Also notice big chunks of concrete to hold up the shore.
That is very interesting. Flooding was a major problem around Billings Bridge until the 1950s so building up the shoreline would make sense. How did you become aware of this? Word of mouth? From reading something? Do you have any idea of when this would have taken place?

I have a great interest in the history of Billings Bridge, because many of my ancestors came from around there.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2010, 4:00 AM

ELEVEN!

I wants me a zeppelin! A helium one! Also, one that can time-travel!

Old Posted Sep 17, 2010, 4:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Eade View Post
I guess the one near the Supreme Court finally got removed also. Maybe we should have saved one as an example.
There is one; the former "Justice Annex" north of the Justice Building and east of the Supreme Court. In fact, I think it's the last of the "temporaries", and was given some kind of heritage designation, which got in the way when the NCC wanted to tear it down as an eyesore. In the past year or so it's gotten a fresh lick of paint, and they did a bit of work to the interior.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2010, 6:18 PM

I could be wrong but wasn't there temporary buildings on Sussex Drive as well, where the American Embassy is today?

Old Posted Sep 17, 2010, 10:02 PM
Closed account

Quote:
I could be wrong but wasn't there temporary buildings on Sussex Drive as well, where the American Embassy is today?
According to wikipedia, the site was expropriated by the federal government for temporary office space during WWI, which was demolished after the war. During WWII, new temporary space was constructed and then demolished in 1972 and turned into a parking lot.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2010, 2:38 AM

Somewhere, and of course I can't remember where, I saw a wonderful canonical map of all the "temporaries".

Old Posted Sep 18, 2010, 4:41 AM

Dikes and island long gone

Quote:
That is very interesting. Flooding was a major problem around Billings Bridge until the 1950s so building up the shoreline would make sense. How did you become aware of this? Word of mouth? From reading something? Do you have any idea of when this would have taken place?

I have a great interest in the history of Billings Bridge, because many of my ancestors came from around there.
I do not have documented evidence of when the build-up was done at that particular place but I have found evidence in the Citizen that there was talk about it and approval during the 30’s when everyone was out of work and make-work projects were abundant (that’s when the Col By Drive was built).

1930s island removal proposed
http://news.google.com/newspapers?id...6449%2C6547731

1931 approval
http://news.google.com/newspapers?id...6595%2C5501476

I am a member of the Ottawa South History Project
http://groups.google.ca/group/Ottawa...ct?hl=en&pli=1

My real name is Jean-Claude Dubé and I am also a member of the Ottawa Historical Society, the Gloucester Historical Society, the Société Franco-Ontarienne d’Histoire et de Généalogie (Ont) and the Société d’Histoire de l’Outaouais (Que). So history is one of my main interests.

I was told about the dumping of one of the Billings Bridge islands on the north shore by an old-time resident of Old Ottawa South. For your interest, (because I know a fair bit about Billings Bridge also), the part that we now call Old Ottawa South was known as Billings Bridge until an Ottawa South Post Office was established around 1900.There was the new suburban village of Rideauville on both sides of what we call Aylmer Ave. The reason the locals got a Post Office of their own was that you couldn’t get easily across the bridge in the winter and it was washed out in the spring time. The north side of the Farmers Bridge (aka Billing’s Bridge) was well established with a hotel, blacksmith, grocery store etc. Bank Street Road developed north toward Lansdowne Park and the Glebe and not the other way around. (The Glebe was in the middle of nowhere with three hotels, one racetrack and not much else except a few farm houses and well-to-do guys with a home out in the country.

Because of flooding, the right bank of the Rideau was raised from the Rideau Falls to Vincent Massey Park in the 1950’s. Dikes were built from the Stegman rapids at Carleton U to Brewer’s Park and then on the east side of Bank Street.(Windsor Park, Linda Thom Park east) Between the two, there is an eclectic mixture of water control fixtures from the Rideau tennis Club and the west Linda Thom Park where is the raised shoreline that we are both talking about. I say eclectic because there are water control fixtures but no dike at the end of Marco Lane and Rideau River Lane. I would need an engineer to explain to me how the system works.

The Coliseum Building at Lansdowne Park is probably doomed to disappear with the Lansdowne Partnership Plan project and I am trying to write up the history of this 85 years old building of great historical and architectural significance. The architects were Hazelgrove, Burritt and Cecil Burgess. (Cecil Burgess designed the Windsor Arms and the Duncannon, just to name a few). I have ordered a digital copy of the prints and should be getting it in a few weeks. (It takes Library and Archives Canada 6 to 8 weeks to take a digital picture and burn it on a CD).

I have my own recent pictures and a 1947 Exhibition picture with a marquee at the entrance. If anyone has any pictures, prints, articles or memories to share with me, I would appreciate it.

Ask me about Billings Bridge. I may know something.

I am fond of tall buildings and skyscrapers if they are esthetically pleasant or historically significant. Most but not all of the buildings recently built uptown are wonderful and shall be part of Ottawa’s heritage in the years to come. I love the Desmarais building on the Ottawa U campus but the DND building next to it is enough to make me puke.

I’m planning to take pictures close-up of the Congress Centre if I’m around there on a good sunny afternoon when the reflections should be excellent.
I drove by it today. KHOOLE!

Old Posted Sep 18, 2010, 4:54 AM

Justice Annex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuniau View Post
There is one; the former "Justice Annex" north of the Justice Building and east of the Supreme Court. In fact, I think it's the last of the "temporaries", and was given some kind of heritage designation, which got in the way when the NCC wanted to tear it down as an eyesore. In the past year or so it's gotten a fresh lick of paint, and they did a bit of work to the interior.
It is an eyesore.
Do you know what kind of designation. I can't believe that it would be under the Ontario Heritage Act. Was it designated by the NCC? They sort of do things on their own.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2010, 3:45 PM
Closed account

I'm not sure that whether a building is pretty or not factors into its heritage status. In any case, apparently there have been efforts to find a location off of Parliament Hill to locate the building.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2010, 4:15 PM

It's not the most beautiful building in the world, but a new paint job and some landscaping would go a long way and I think it does have some herritage value with regards to its role during war times.

Old Posted May 15, 2011, 3:50 AM

April Fool's

Quote:
Not really construction but this is an incredible historic photo of downtown Ottawa taken from the Zepplin Samuel de Champlain in 1929. You can see the shadow over what is likely the final Dey's Rink where the Ottawa Senators played until 1923. Have things ever changed since then. You can see the Russel Hotel in the upper left corner. It had already been damaged by fire but not yet demolished. Ottawa City Hall is next to it (surrounded with some trees). City Hall burned in 1931.

http://www.vintagewings.ca/rsrc/vwc/...Champlain7.jpg
Great aerial shot but come again about Zeppelin Samuel de Champlain and HMCS Joseph Mufferaw?

Last edited by KHOOLE; May 15, 2011 at 4:07 AM.

Old Posted May 24, 2011, 10:19 PM

Justice Building, on Wellington Street:

http://urbsite.blogspot.com/2011/05/...struction.html

Old Posted Nov 22, 2011, 2:54 AM

Nice collection of old pics from City of Ottawa Archives website:
Witness of Change: Visions from the Andrews-Newton Photographs

Beacon Apartments:

Photographer: Andy Andrews
http://ottawa.minisisinc.com/scripts.../42/424?RECORD

Perrini Building on Kent and Albert streets (demolished):

Photographer: Unknown
http://ottawa.minisisinc.com/scripts.../43/425?RECORD

Post Office Buildings:

Photographer: Unknown
http://ottawa.minisisinc.com/scripts.../1/9/86?RECORD

Old Posted Jan 4, 2012, 5:53 PM

I've never looked at any of this thread before, and I gotta admit, that the pictures everyone found are amazing...funny to think that not too long ago, nothing exsisted south of Billings bridge except feilds and open country...

Old Posted Nov 9, 2013, 1:22 AM

Photos from Lost Ottawa:

Aberdeen Pavillion:

Photographer: James Ballantyne
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

DND HQ:

Photographer: Norm MacLeod
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

Old Posted Nov 9, 2013, 3:17 AM

Last edited by drawarc; Nov 9, 2013 at 7:04 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > General Discussion