HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Oct 11, 2013, 5:07 PM

China is a bit more out of the way though hahaha than northern europe. Imagine, they'd have to sail across the pacific and down around south america and up to end up in cape Breton? or all the way around africa and up for what reason? just seems REALLY far fetched that they'd even want to start any sort of a colony over this way

Old Posted Oct 22, 2013, 11:23 AM

Put away your sou'wester: This East Coast city is more chic than you remember

I think the Globe and Mail are starting to like us..

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/...ticle14960878/

Quote:

Ten years ago, it was impossible to get a decent cup of coffee in downtown St. John’s. At least, that’s what the locals say. Thanks to Newfoundland’s recent economic boom, driven primarily by the oil and gas industry, that is certainly no longer the case. It’s hard to walk for a block on Water Street, the city’s main drag, without hitting a slick café.

Booming coffee culture is just one example of how drastically St. John’s has changed over the past decade; across the city, there’s a newfound sense of urban cosmopolitanism that seems to have everyone a bit gobsmacked.

Young entrepreneurs born on the Rock, many of whom left for the mainland long ago, are returning home armed with the knowledge that there is an increasing market for the finer things in life. From clothing stores to restaurants, art galleries and specialty boutiques, this city sports an enviable array of stores and services.

Plus, in a region where foraging and nose-to-tail eating are the historical norm and not just a culinary trend, chefs and hunters are stepping up their game in delicious fashion, combining traditional ingredients such as cod tongues, scrunchions (fried, cubed pork back fat), wild rabbit and moose with modern plating and techniques.

St. John’s still has all the charms – spectacular vistas, whale watching, history and friendly locals spinning old foolishness – you’ve been led to expect. But when the whales aren’t jumping or the fog has you down, here are some of the best ways to explore this newly optimistic city from end to end, particularly before the snow starts falling.

Raymond’s

This restaurant, which opened to much acclaim in 2010, has a well-deserved and hard-won reputation for stellar, consistent food and charming service. Run by a pair of Jeremys – Bonia, the sommelier, and Charles, the executive chef – it’s not unusual to find the dining room packed on a Wednesday night. Come for the snow crab linguine, but stay for the astounding array of top-shelf bourbon. 95 Water St., raymondsrestaurant.com

Urchin Art Materials and Papery

This charming storefront stocks an impressive array of paints, brushes and papers to supply the bustling St. John’s art industry. For those less creatively inclined, this eco-conscious store also stocks handmade paper from Montreal’s Papeterie St. Armand, an army of trendy notebooks, and Cavallini wrapping papers so beautiful they should be framed. 197 Water St., urchingreen.ca

Tval

Started as a side project by Anna Hellqvist, a Swedish biologist and transplant who sold her products through word-of-mouth when she first arrived in St. John’s, Tval is a line of soaps, lotions and mysterious potions derived from all-natural ingredients. All their products, most of which smell good enough to eat, are made in the back of the shop in an open workroom. 280 Water St., tvalskincare.com

Chinched Bistro

Opened by chefs and real-life lovebirds Shaun Hussey and Michelle LeBlanc, Chinched is steadily garnering a fanbase for its rotating menu of fresh, imaginative dishes. In local slang, “chinched” means “to stow, stuff or pack tightly; to be full,” and that’s how you’re going to leave after a round of small plates downstairs at the bar or settling in for the long haul in the upstairs 43-seat dining room. 7 Queen St., chinchedbistro.com

Model Citizens

Well-dressed women in the city are intimately familiar with this boutique, which stocks both vintage and contemporary clothing, much of which has been locally tailored and is one-of-a-kind. From deconstructed blazers to bedazzled mini-dresses, it carries gems from Betsey Johnson, Chanel, Diane Von Furstenberg and, at one visit, a floor-length gown from the sold-out Roberto Cavalli for H&M line. Get in line, gals. 183B Duckworth St., modelcitizens.ca

Junk

Opened by Frank Fagan and his husband, David, less than a month ago, Junk stocks sartorially conscious threads from international labels including Diesel, Fred Perry and True Religion, along with an enviable collection of gorgeous – and useful – housewares imported from around the world. 302 Water St., 709-758-586

Fixed Coffee & Baking

With a steady stream of good-looking regulars, men in beards and girls in thick-framed glasses, this airy corner café and eatery is a surprisingly cozy place to grab a coffee, a booth and a newspaper and settle in for the morning. They carry inky Vancouver-roasted 49th Parallel beans and are known for their eclectic evening offerings. Noodle dinners! Pop-ups! Taco nights! 183 Duckworth St., fixedcoffee.com

Post Espresso Bar

Attracting mini-packs of urbane professionals, this glassy café is one of the newest places to see and be seen while holding your coffee as if it’s a precious object. With its Scandinavian-chic aesthetic, Post hosts regular regional tasting nights featuring beans from international roasters, most recently from Britain and California. 168 Water St., postespresso.com

WHERE TO STAY:

Blue on Water

This 11-room boutique hotel is located directly above a popular restaurant of the same name (you’ll have to go to the bar to get your room key). The rooms are spacious – some have huge freestanding bathtubs that can handily fit two plus bubbles – brick-lined and remarkably quiet given their central location and street-facing views. From $159 a night. 319 Water St., blueonwater.com

The Chef’s Inn

Owned by chef Todd Perrin and managed by his salt-of-the-earth parents Wanda and Bill, this four-room bed and breakfast is in a renovated 1983 rowhouse a short walk away from downtown. The breakfast buffet features Wanda’s freshly baked goodies, and views of the harbour from the top floor are magnificent. From $140 a night. 29 Gower St., thechefsinn.ca

Old Posted Oct 22, 2013, 12:48 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

So tired of the tone the Globe and Mail always uses when they reference us. They've been printing stories with exactly this message for as long as the paper has been around.

Put away your sou'wester: This East Coast city is more chic than you remember

Quote:
Ten years ago, it was impossible to get a decent cup of coffee in downtown St. John’s.
No it wasn't.

Quote:
At least, that’s what the locals say.
No we don't. Nice try.

Quote:
Booming coffee culture is just one example of how drastically St. John’s has changed over the past decade; across the city, there’s a newfound sense of urban cosmopolitanism that seems to have everyone a bit gobsmacked.
Gobsmacked? We're... absolutely bewildered by coffee culture? We're a very old city, Globe and Mail. Urbanity and cosmopolitanism aren't new to us.

Quote:
St. John’s still has all the charms – spectacular vistas, whale watching, history and friendly locals spinning old foolishness – you’ve been led to expect. But when the whales aren’t jumping or the fog has you down, here are some of the best ways to explore this newly optimistic city from end to end, particularly before the snow starts falling.
Second-most temperate climate in Canada. Mildest winters outside of coastal B.C.

http://m.theglobeandmail.com/life/tr...ce=mobile#!/_=

Go fuck yourself, Globe and Mail. So glad they aren't available in NL anymore.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2013, 1:59 PM

At least they acknowledged our existence.. That's a good step! but I. Definitely see where you're coming from. Whenever any national media references us (Globe and Mail, National Post, ect.) they always choose language that makes us seem like old outlandish, somewhat unintelligent fisherman. Their praise towards Newfoundland always comes across as smug to me, kind of like what you'd tell a little kid who just played an annoyingly simplistic piece in a piano recital. "Oh you're doing so well, little Johnny, keep it up and one day you'll grow up to be a star!"

And we all know that when we say that to little Johnny, we don't mean it.

Although I did learn something.. I never knew that blue on the water had a boutique hotel upstairs. Mind you, not a very big hotel, but sounds nice! I'd love to check it out one day

So, both f*** you, and thank you Globe and Mail

Old Posted Oct 23, 2013, 2:03 PM

This sounds pretty cool....would love to see it expanded to include more areas of the city. Awesome idea for tourism.

Quote:
A new iPhone app called Inside Outside Battery allows users to take an audio tour of the historic neighbourhood of St. John's as they walk the streets and trails.

The project is the latest from documentary-maker Chris Brookes, who says he was inspired to offer people more than just what they were seeing as they walked through areas like the North Head Trail.

"I was interested in the idea of information that you don't find out unless you live in a place or unless you know people in the place," Brookes said.

"You look around and what you see is rocks, water, and trees and houses, but I mean there's a whole layer of human experience over all of that."

Brookes said he wants the audio tour to provide hikers and visitors with a unique experience, based entirely on which route they decide to walk.

"This is a way of infiltrating their ears. This is an app about The Battery with sounds and voices about here, from here, that they can listen to when they're walking through," he said.

"It's designed for people to wander around and do what they want to do. Some people will like some stories, some will stop and listen, some won't. Some will take a shortcut and they'll hear something different, some won't and they will never hear what's up there."

According to Brookes, the project is an homage to his home. He has lived in the Outer Battery for almost 25 years.

"I love the Outer Battery … it's a pretty special place, it's really special," he said.

"It's not just special because of what you see, which is really special, but because of the people who live here, you know? I'm in love with the place and so this is kind of a love letter to The Battery."

The app is currently only available on an iPhone, but Brookes said he is working on an Android-friendly version that should be out by the spring of 2014.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfou...-app-1.2159431

Old Posted Nov 22, 2013, 4:08 AM

It's snowing out. It's beautiful. I am in love with snow. Just thought I'd let the world know

Old Posted Nov 22, 2013, 1:57 PM

As am I lol... you aren't alone

Old Posted Nov 22, 2013, 2:01 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Where are you guys? lol I never noticed any snow.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2013, 6:05 PM

Tom Kierans died today. For those unfamiliar with him (which I wouldn't imagine would be many people on this site), he was behind many far-reaching proposals, including the development of the southside hills, Freshwater Bay as a port, and even an underground stadium (which I REALLY wish had been built).

Quote:
Tom Kierans, the local engineer and visionary behind a fixed-link that would connect the island of Newfoundland to Labrador, has died.

Kierans passed away at the Miller Centre in St. John's on Friday morning at the age of 100.

A Montreal native, Kierans had several careers during his lifetime, with stints in the mining industry, academia and as an engineer. He played a key role in building the Upper Churchill hydroelectric project in central Labrador.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfou...-100-1.2436646

Old Posted Jan 24, 2014, 2:38 PM

Ghost ship full of cannibal rats could be about to crash into Devon coast

I had to post this here. A little update on our old friend the Lyubov Orlova.

Quote:
There are fears a ghost ship full of diseased cannibal rats could be about to crash into the coast of Devon or Cornwall.

The abandoned Lyubov Orlova has been missing since it cut adrift while being towed from Canada nearly a year ago.

The 40-year-old liner has been driven across the Atlantic by high winds and is thought close to the UK shore.

Based on emergency beacons activated last year aboard the ship, it is feared the 40-year-old Yugoslavian liner registered to Russia could crash into the shore of Devon, Cornwall, Ireland or Scotland.

Those searching for the ship say there are likely to be thousands of disease-ridden rats on board with no source of food except each other, according to The Sun.

Belgian-based searcher Pim de Rhoodes said: "She is floating around there somewhere. There will be a lot of rats and they eat each other."

The 4,250-ton ship built to carry 110 passengers was impounded in Canada in 2010 after being deserted by her crew in a debt row.

Two years later, she was towed to the Dominican Republic to be scrapped - but abandoned when she broke free.

The MCA believes the ship may have sunk, but those searching for the ship to cash in its £600,000 scrap value say sinking would have activated emergency beacons aboard the liferafts.

A spokesman said: "The MCA has received no sightings of the former Soviet cruise ship 'Lyubov Orlova' since April last year and there is no evidence to suggest it is still afloat.

"Any 'ghost' ship entering European waters is highly likely to be reported due to the large number of vessels passing through the area. We would then act accordingly."

Read more: http://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/Ghos...#ixzz2rKK9uviw

http://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/Ghos...ail/story.html

Old Posted Feb 11, 2014, 9:32 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Lovely little article about urbanity from al Jazeera:

http://aje.me/1fWDfDd

Old Posted Feb 12, 2014, 10:34 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

In addition to Ukraine, Bosnia is also shut down by protests. The people are demanding a government of "the expert, the young, and the uncorrupt".

I'm impressed with how clear their message and demands are. And the protests actually started in a secondary city and spread to the capital. It would be like a movement in Newfoundland beginning in Grand Falls-Windsor and spreading to St. John's. Somehow hints at being more powerful to me, no idea why.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/11/wo...-sarajevo.html

Old Posted Feb 12, 2014, 2:26 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

This is cute, prepared by a deaf person. The Top 10 Annoying Habits of Hearing People.

http://limpingchicken.com/2013/05/20...earing-people/

Old Posted Feb 12, 2014, 3:48 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Not all European cities are haphazard like St. John's. Barcelona is a strictly planned as anything in North America:

Via Reddit

Old Posted Feb 12, 2014, 8:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
Not all European cities are haphazard like St. John's. Barcelona is a strictly planned as anything in North America:

Via Reddit
I freaking love how Spanish cities are planned. Med density everywhere hahaha none of this super high density in the core then a sea of low density that we see in NA. I love love love it.

Edit: by med density I mean high density of mid rises.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2014, 8:20 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

It looks like a beautiful way to live.

Also, perfect timing. LSyd just posted a photo thread of Barcelona so you can see some of these areas up close:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=209703

Old Posted Feb 12, 2014, 9:53 PM

Barcelona is crazy, in a good way! I never realized it looks like that! Always wanted to go to Europe. Barcelona is definitely a must visit!

Old Posted Feb 13, 2014, 6:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post

Via Reddit
Wow, a cartographer's dream. I'd love to visit there someday.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2014, 12:18 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Since I'm sure this milestone will be reached today, I would like to congratulate SignalHillHiker on being the fastest SSP forumer in history to reach 10,000 posts!!!

Looking forward to your next 10,000 posts......

Old Posted Feb 14, 2014, 12:24 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Oh my God, no? That's embarrassing. lol But thank you.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's