HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Jan 26, 2013, 2:41 AM

I have seen this "Wallace" and his comments about St. John's for a long time now. Christopher has as well. He is the definition of anti-development. This guy is actually upset that those slum neighborhoods were destroyed where the Delta and Cabot towers are currently. I've never taken his comments as serious or legitimate, he is what is wrong with our city.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2013, 1:24 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
I have seen this "Wallace" and his comments about St. John's for a long time now. Christopher has as well. He is the definition of anti-development. This guy is actually upset that those slum neighborhoods were destroyed where the Delta and Cabot towers are currently. I've never taken his comments as serious or legitimate, he is what is wrong with our city.

Yup......he feels that DT should stay the way it is, and no development what so ever happen down there, but at the same time he complains about tax increases. It's like he can't grasp the fact that the more business/corporate tax the city collects the better it is for residents.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2013, 1:36 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

It would have been cool if the slum houses were fixed up - but we kept the same density and layout of streets. It would have been truly unique in English-speaking North America - and created an atmosphere similar to the Sarajevo or Skopje carsijas, which are huge tourist draws for their respective cities:

Bascarsija by HiperOranz, on Flickr

Skopje Carsija (old bazaar quarter), Macedonia by Graham Spicer, on Flickr

Old Posted Jan 26, 2013, 4:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
Assuming that is Wallace Ryan, who also frequently posts on HappyCity on facebook. This guy is beyond a NIMBY, he is more like a BANANA (Build Absolutely Nothing Anywhere Near Anyone) lol.

Last edited by J_Murphy; Jan 26, 2013 at 10:35 PM.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2013, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Murphy View Post
Assuming that is Wallace Ryan, who also frequently posts on HappyCity on facebook. This guy is beyond a NIMBY, he is more like a BANANA (Build Absolutely Nothing Anywhere Near Anyone) lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfPfzo7wpC4
BANANA - That's hilarious!

Old Posted Jan 26, 2013, 7:46 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Murphy View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfPfzo7wpC4

and heaven forbid that piss stand..........oops bandstand had to get torn down he would have had a coronary.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2013, 6:51 PM

So when are we gonna get wind of one of the three developments?

Old Posted Jan 28, 2013, 7:04 PM

I don't know.. I am getting very impatient haha! Chris said fortis won't be bringing up their proposal until the fall, he said proposal 23 would be announced in late February and the one project we are 100% certain that exists involving AP was to be announced in early 2013 according to doc. So hopefully we shall get some news soon or I am going to explode xD

Old Posted Jan 28, 2013, 7:35 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Townie709 View Post
I don't know.. I am getting very impatient haha! Chris said fortis won't be bringing up their proposal until the fall, he said proposal 23 would be announced in late February and the one project we are 100% certain that exists involving AP was to be announced in early 2013 according to doc. So hopefully we shall get some news soon or I am going to explode xD

Here's an update on the 2 I mentioned. Expect to hear about "23" on March 11. As for Fortis.....their revamped proposal is still slated for the fall, depending on the outcome of Sept 24. Let's just say if "She Who Shall Not Be Named" wins Mayor, you can forget about both Fortis and 23.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2013, 7:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher_chafe View Post
Let's just say if "She Who Shall Not Be Named" wins Mayor, you can forget about both Fortis and 23.
That doesn't make any sense. All that matters is how council as a whole responds and votes on these proposals. The mayor might have a larger public voice, but who he mayor is and their personal views have absolutely no effect on what gets proposed and what gets approved. Could you explain your reasoning on this??

Old Posted Jan 28, 2013, 10:05 PM
BANNED

Quote:
That doesn't make any sense. All that matters is how council as a whole responds and votes on these proposals. The mayor might have a larger public voice, but who he mayor is and their personal views have absolutely no effect on what gets proposed and what gets approved. Could you explain your reasoning on this??
That last sentence was just my opinion. Not from the potential developers.......

1. It's not cheap to get a proposal ready, so why would Fortis bother with it, when the individual who led the charge against them the last time is mayor.

2. A wee birdy told me that she was flat out against project 23 and would not even listen to the developer and what they were saying.

3. She has stated that "technical firms" have no place in our artistic DT.

Shall I continue.......

Old Posted Jan 28, 2013, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher_chafe View Post
That last sentence was just my opinion. Not from the potential developers.......

1. It's not cheap to get a proposal ready, so why would Fortis bother with it, when the individual who led the charge against them the last time is mayor.

2. A wee birdy told me that she was flat out against project 23 and would not even listen to the developer and what they were saying.

3. She has publicly stated that "technical firms" have no place in our artistic DT.

Shall I continue.......
I'm not disagreeing with you over this, Just as a moderator if you directly quote someone like that I have to ask you to provide a link or something to cite it

Old Posted Jan 28, 2013, 10:09 PM

Some people are SO narrow-minded.. The good thing is if certain people lose their race they will be indefinitely out of council for 4 years. Okeefe and Ellsworth 2013!!!

Old Posted Jan 28, 2013, 10:09 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeddy1989 View Post
I'm not disagreeing with you over this, Just as a moderator if you directly quote someone like that I have to ask you to provide a link or something to cite it

It was stated to 2 of the tables at the Mayor's symposium so no its not "public record" just stated in public.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2013, 10:11 PM
BANNED

Quote:
I have edited it to remove the word publicly

Old Posted Jan 28, 2013, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Some people are SO narrow-minded.. The good thing is if certain people lose their race they will be indefinitely out of council for 4 years. Okeefe and Ellsworth 2013!!!
just putting it out there but O'Keefe went after O'Leary (the names make it like an irish family feud hahah) in the council chambers over her wanting to rush the process of something she had already voted for (again) (had to do with seniors) and he called her out on political posturing tee he he

Old Posted Jan 28, 2013, 10:15 PM
BANNED

Quote:
just putting it out there but O'Keefe went after O'Leary (the names make it like an irish family feud hahah) in the council chambers over her wanting to rush the process of something she had already voted for (again) (had to do with seniors) and he called her out on political posturing tee he he

She must think the public are all senile old fools if she thinks we dont realize what is really going on all of a sudden.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2013, 10:27 PM

Quote:
I saw that interview as well. I was afraid it was going to be another interview about oleary and her "perfect political views" but I was very happy when it ended with her being called out on her utter nonsense by okeefe. I'm glad he's calling her on it every time and not let her get ahead by misleading the public.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2013, 4:02 AM

So chris, did you manage to get the "Proposal 23" render for us before you leave on Tuesday or will you get the opportunity to?? or will we have to wait until March 11th?

Old Posted Feb 3, 2013, 3:00 PM
BANNED

Quote:
I saw that interview as well. I was afraid it was going to be another interview about oleary and her "perfect political views" but I was very happy when it ended with her being called out on her utter nonsense by okeefe. I'm glad he's calling her on it every time and not let her get ahead by misleading the public.

The quicker that plague along with the other 2 S's on council get kicked to the curb this city will be a much better place to live for everyone and not just the select few.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's