HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > General Discussion

Old Posted Aug 1, 2015, 4:24 PM

Pedestrian crossing signals

Maybe it is just me but i am having difficulties seeing the newer pedestrian crossing lights on mist street corners.

The newer ones i refer to are the LED ones ( white for ok to cross and reddish/orange for do not cross ).

I walk to and from work. Bayshore shopping centre to moodie/robertson almost daily. If the sun is behind me and it is a bright sunny day, ithe sun blots out the white crossing signals at Ricmond/Holly Acres road. At night, the crossing signals are perfect.

Strange thing is, the older style crossing signals are easier to see on bright sunny days.

The other thing i have noticed is that the reddish/orange "do not cross" lights are also hard to see in bright sunny weather.

Any one else noticed this?

Old Posted Aug 1, 2015, 5:15 PM

I have, and not just for crossing signals; traffic lights for motor vehicles as well, especially in Gatineau. There's a line where safety should come before power savings. Municipalities haven't seen it yet.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2015, 9:36 PM

I opened a ticket at the sevice site at Ottawa.ca

I hope i get a response that is usefull

Old Posted Aug 4, 2015, 2:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthVader_1961 View Post
I opened a ticket at the sevice site at Ottawa.ca

I hope i get a response that is usefull
Until Ottawa stops replacing "as of right" pedestrian signals with request-only ones, and poorly-functioning ones at that, then all the pretty words about transportation policy, in all the planning documents that are constantly being updated at great time and expense, are so much vacuous BS.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2015, 6:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuniau View Post
Until Ottawa stops replacing "as of right" pedestrian signals with request-only ones, and poorly-functioning ones at that, then all the pretty words about transportation policy, in all the planning documents that are constantly being updated at great time and expense, are so much vacuous BS.
I really hate the request only ones because they mess with my running. I run on the MUP and aside from cyclists, the crossing at Maitland and the crossing on Woodroffe really get me. Today I waited 3.5 minutes for the light to change at the Woodroffe one, and it likely only changed because a fire truck was coming back into the fire hall. I much prefer the request lights in BC, they actually change when you press the button.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2015, 6:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreTrains View Post
I much prefer the request lights in BC, they actually change when you press the button.
You don't have to travel that far. Kingston's signalised midblock (ie. not at road intersections) crossings change immediately when the button is pushed, with the exception that after the phase ends and the light goes green for cars again, there's a 18 second or 22 second (depending on the location) lockout before it can be activated again.

Crossings at road intersections in the inner city all change automatically with no push buttons, and almost all traffic lights in the pre-war city are on 50 second cycles ensuring that you're never waiting more than ~25 seconds for a light to change.

Little things like this make a huge difference and results in Kingston's urban area being noticeably more walk-friendly.

(Although Kingston is much less bike friendly, so I suppose it cancels out).

Last edited by 1overcosc; Aug 4, 2015 at 7:56 PM.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > General Discussion