HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > General Discussion

Old Posted Jun 5, 2017, 2:15 PM

Boom and Shake Sunday June 4

Not really a development question but last night at 20:48 there was a bang or boom heard all over Riverside South, followed by shaking. To me I thought my furnace blew up, but it was felt all over the neighbourhood. It seemed to come from below surface.

The event seems to show up on seismogram in Ottawa but its very quick, not like a typical earthquake. Nothing is being reported.

Best theory I heard was blasting at lafarge Quarry in Greely. Anybody hear anything about this?

Old Posted Jun 5, 2017, 9:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daud View Post
Not really a development question but last night at 20:48 there was a bang or boom heard all over Riverside South, followed by shaking. To me I thought my furnace blew up, but it was felt all over the neighbourhood. It seemed to come from below surface.

The event seems to show up on seismogram in Ottawa but its very quick, not like a typical earthquake. Nothing is being reported.

Best theory I heard was blasting at lafarge Quarry in Greely. Anybody hear anything about this?

I'm in Vanier and I heard something around that time. It wasn't thunder. It was a low rumble to the south.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2017, 2:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanier View Post
I'm in Vanier and I heard something around that time. It wasn't thunder. It was a low rumble to the south.
I'm at a loss as to why there has been no explanation for this. Imagine a whole neighbourhood shaking, coupled with an audible boom. If you go on Facebook and search "bowercrest" you will see a thread with how neighbours described it. For me, I thought my furnace exploded. Others described it as a car running through their garage. It woke my kids up too.

About 15 minutes prior to this event, there was an arson fire on Nicholls Island in Manotick. Ottawa Fire says there was nothing with the fire that would have caused or been directly related to this boom.

Some explanations I've heard are sonic boom from a jet, blasting at Lafarge Quarry or controlled explosion at RCMP HQ or CFB Leitrim. There is also a reddit thread on the event:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ottawa/comm...hquake_at_845/

Edit...a report is showing up on the Earthquakes Canada Database as a magnitude 1.8 occurring in Barrhaven at the following location:

2017/06/05 00:47:57 45.28 -75.71 5.0 1.8 No 4 km E from Ottawa,ON

It is odd though that more people heard the boom than felt the shake.

Last edited by daud; Jun 6, 2017 at 2:48 PM.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > General Discussion