HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted May 5, 2018, 12:02 AM
More transit please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laceoflight View Post
I'd add Atwater Market !

Your list echoes Loogart's print art pretty well :
Not enough bungalows and strip malls in this one.

Old Posted May 5, 2018, 10:09 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Okay, beyond the first thing that comes to mind... my personal favourite (so in no way an attempt to say it is so for anyone else) URBAN building from each province. I could list 100 prisons and courthouses and churches and markets outside the city here, so restricting myself to urban lol.

Newfoundland and Labrador

Supreme Court of Newfoundland and Labrador.

Duckworth Street side:

DSC_0079_3 by Erwin Friesen, on Flickr

Water Street side:

Supreme Court Building, St. John's by Eric Harrison, on Flickr

Nova Scotia

Dominion Public Building by Scott Baltjes, on Flickr

Prince Edward Island

Charlottetown - Province House by Reinhard Zinabold, on Flickr

New Brunswick

Red one immediately to the left of the beige-y one in centre.

Saint John New Brunswick by Daryl B, on Flickr

Quebec

National Assembly, Quebec City by Roland Shainidze, on Flickr

Ontario

All of these from Paris. I'm not trying to be a dick picking something small for Ontario, but genuinely, in my heart, I cannot express how much I love this town via SSP, that I've never visited. This is perfection to me. Move this down to Waterford Bridge Road in St. John's and I would pay up to 750K for one. This is how I want to spend my life, I just need more city surrounding.

Smalltown Southern Ontario .... Grand River & Paris, Ontario by Greg's Southern Ontario (catching Up Slowly), on Flickr

Manitoba

Confederation Building, Winnipeg by Ivar Struthers, on Flickr

Saskatchewan

Pride lives here by Creative Fixx, on Flickr

Alberta

Happy memories - the Ship and Anchor. Otherwise, The Bow.

DSC_0119 by Gunn ♪, on Flickr

British Columbia

The Europe Hotel, Gastown, Vancouver, BC by Rosey-Noelle so far behind, trying to catch up, on Flickr

Old Posted May 5, 2018, 6:55 PM

The Newfoundland Supreme Court building really reminds me of this train station in Montreal. Very typical architecture for public buildings in the Anglosphere at the time.

(I'm pretty sure I recall mentioning that already )

Old Posted May 5, 2018, 7:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassCity View Post
New Brunswick (historic brick offices and industrial buildings)

https://www.tourismnewbrunswick.ca/P...aint-John.aspx
That's a nicer-than-average example, but it's still quite typical for small/mid Eastern Canada cities to have a main commercial street that kind of looks like that.

Here's my hometown's (Sherbrooke Quebec), and I'm sure main streets like this are also quite common in Ontario (and all over the Northeastern USA too).

Old Posted May 5, 2018, 7:24 PM
Rational urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
That's a nicer-than-average example, but it's still quite typical for small/mid Eastern Canada cities to have a main commercial street that kind of looks like that.

Here's my hometown's (Sherbrooke Quebec), and I'm sure main streets like this are also quite common in Ontario (and all over the Northeastern USA too).

Oh I'm well aware, I find it fascinating. A fun game I like to play is to streetview in middle-of-nowhere Ontario and find that same historic brick main street streetwall everywhere. I don't know what the on the ground reality is, but it really makes it seem like there's no bad place to live in Ontario/Quebec.

Old Posted May 5, 2018, 7:27 PM

Quote:

Saint John has more than just the one street for that, though.

Old Posted May 5, 2018, 8:03 PM

For Toronto, I would say CN Tower, Skydome, City Hall, ROM, OCAD are probably the most iconic.

Old Posted May 5, 2018, 8:18 PM

For Cobourg, definitely Victoria Hall

The lighthouse is probably the single most photographed thing but I wouldn't call the structure itself iconic.

East Pierhead Lighthouse, Cobourg, Ontario, Canada
by Karl Agre, on Flickr

Old Posted May 5, 2018, 10:47 PM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Good suggestions.
What about the Vimy Memorial? It's technically on Canadian soil despite its European location.

Vimy Memorial

Mémorial Canadien de Vimy by Benoit Verez, on Flickr

Old Posted May 5, 2018, 10:54 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

It's a very beautiful monument - almost Soviet in style and scale.

Ours is a little caribou statue, the symbol of the Royal Newfoundland Regiment. Here's the main one in Beaumont Hamel, France:

Europe 2013 - Beaumont Hamel Memorial by Clif Budden, on Flickr

There is a Trail of the Caribou across Europe where the Regiment had significant battles. It's a popular school trip for local high schools. Identical caribou statue memorials are in:

Beaumont Hamel, France
Gueudecourt, France
Masnieres, France
Monchy-le-Preux, France
Courtrai, Belgium

And the final one, which was just approved (it took a while for their government to accept as they were on the opposite side in that war):

Gallipoli, Turkey

Quote:
It took a decade of meetings and discussions, but the Royal Newfoundland Regiment is finally being commemorated with a caribou monument in Gallipoli.

House of Assembly Speaker Perry Trimper announced Wednesday that the monument — the sixth one to mark significant battles fought by the regiment during the First World War — will be installed near Hill 10 Cemetery on the Turkish peninsula.

"That's something that this land, whether it be a province or formerly as a country, has been seeking for a century, so it's huge progress," said Trimper, who went to Turkey in January for talks with the Turkish government.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfou...poli-1.4635546

There's also one in Bowring Park in the city.

Old Posted May 6, 2018, 3:53 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkahHigh View Post
Not enough bungalows and strip malls in this one.
Yeah really. Nice to see John Abbott college front and centre (never would I have thought of this place as prototypical West Island, which probably would be Fairview), only because I attended JAC in the eighties, during my wild oats' days.

Old Posted May 6, 2018, 4:02 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
It's a very beautiful monument - almost Soviet in style and scale.
Hitler admired the monument so much he made implicit instructions that it not be damaged. It survived WW2 unscathed.

Old Posted May 6, 2018, 4:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
What about the Vimy Memorial? It's technically on Canadian soil despite its European location.

Vimy Memorial

Mémorial Canadien de Vimy by Benoit Verez, on Flickr
Amazing...

Canadian National Vimy Memorial - Fast Facts
The Memorial on Vimy Ridge does more than mark the site of the great Canadian victory of the First World War. It stands as a tribute to all who served their country in battle and risked or gave their lives in that four-year struggle.
In 1922, use of the land, for the battlefield park which contains the Canadian National Vimy Memorial was granted for all time by the French nation to the people of Canada.
The Memorial was designed by Canadian sculptor and architect Walter Seymour Allward. He once told friends the form of the design came to him in a dream.
The Canadian National Vimy Memorial stands on Hill 145, overlooking the Canadian battlefield of 1917, at one of the points of the fiercest fighting.
It took eleven years and $1.5 million to build and was unveiled on July 26, 1936 by King Edward VIII, in the presence of President Albert Lebrun of France and 50,000 or more Canadian and French veterans and their families.
Inscribed on the ramparts of the Memorial are the names of 11,285 Canadian soldiers who were posted "missing, presumed dead" in France.
The grounds are still honeycombed with wartime tunnels, closed off for public safety. A portion of the Grange Subway, originally 1,230 metres long, still exists to be viewed. Roughly 250 metres of this underground communication tunnel and some of its chambers and connecting dugouts have been preserved. Canadian interpretive guides provide tours of this subterranean feature.
In recent times, the Canadian National Vimy Memorial has come to symbolize Canada's long commitment to peace in the world, as well as its stand against aggression, and for liberty and the rule of international law.
On April 10, 1997, the Canadian National Vimy Memorial was designated as a Canadian National Historic Site

Old Posted May 7, 2018, 6:55 PM
HVAC guru

Pavilion in North-East Edmonton's Borden Park wins Governor General award for outstanding architecture

First time since 1992 that a building in Edmonton has received the award

Photos here: https://www.archdaily.com/551163/bor...lion-gh3-photo

http://edmontonjournal.com/news/loca...g-architecture

Old Posted May 7, 2018, 7:07 PM

Quote:

Definitely, but as another poster said, Saint John isn't like small eastern cities/towns with one or two great streets that quickly give way to detached houses. It's got a really well-developed downtown, with very dense townhouse and apartment development encircling it. It's very substantial, at least on part with Sherbrooke, but I'd say more developed and urban. And definitely more built-up than Ontario towns like Peterborough or Guelph, etc.

Not to pit city against city, just that Saint John really is uniquely well-built for a city of such small size. Also in uniquely rough shape in many ways, of course.

Old Posted May 8, 2018, 4:48 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
King Street in Saint John was the more impressive street:

Source

Unfortunately some of this was demolished for Brunswick Square and nearby not-so-great 60's and 70's buildings.

This is the other side of King Street. Impressive but someone needs to restore the ugly storefronts:

Source

I would also put Queen Square in the not-typical-small-town category.

Old Posted May 8, 2018, 6:29 AM
New Brunswick Urbanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
This is the other side of King Street. Impressive but someone needs to restore the ugly storefronts:

Source
Those buildings are currently being renovated to convert the underutilized upper floors to residential. As for the retail, it looks a lot nicer than it does in that older pic above - one unit is now a sushi restaurant while the other remains vacant, but the ratty moulding above the store signs has been re-painted.

SJ now has an interesting visual contrast between its trio of concrete skyscrapers (one international style, one late modernist and one neo-brutalist) and its late 19th-century architecture in the Trinity Royal heritage district. I dig it.

Saint John's iconic non-Victorian architecture:

Source

“Forget the damned motor car and build the cities for lovers and friends.” –Lewis Mumford

Old Posted May 18, 2018, 3:03 AM

Old Posted May 18, 2018, 3:36 AM

Old Posted May 26, 2018, 2:32 AM

Ground breaking today for new Inuit Art Centre at the Winnipeg Art Gallery designed by Michael Maltzan Architecture.

http://www.mmaltzan.com/projects/win...it-art-centre/

Quote:
With the Inuit Art Centre, the Winnipeg Art Gallery looks North
Alex Bozikovic
ALEX BOZIKOVIC
PUBLISHED MAY 25, 2018

Four regions, across four thousand kilometres. And one building to bring them together. That’s the ambitious promise of the Winnipeg Art Gallery’s Inuit Art Centre, which officially broke ground on Friday.

The $65-million addition to the gallery, with a competition-winning design by Michael Maltzan Architecture of Los Angeles, will expand the downtown Winnipeg facility by 40,000 square feet. It will also represent, in concrete form, the WAG’s expanded mission as a hub for Inuit culture and Indigenous art in Canada. “It is a game-changing, museum-changing project,” WAG director Steven Borys said in a recent interview.

The building will add a new public entrance to the gallery’s monumental 1972 building, giving the museum a highly transparent new entrance and street-level café, but also opening up into a sequence of galleries and a theatre which will house educational programs, performance and interactive exhibitions. The architecture “is set up to create different experiences of Inuit art,” says Maltzan, “and to challenge conventions of how the work has been shown.”

Since Inuit art emerged from the North around 1950, the work – predominantly stone carvings and stone-cut printing – has generally been shown with an anthropological lens, as craft rather than as fine art. The WAG, which has the world’s largest public collection of Inuit art, is determined to challenge that, Mr. Borys says. “We’re dismantling a pedagogical construct of how we’ve looked at Inuit art,” he says. “The discussion has been very insular.”

Mr. Maltzan’s design is based on the understanding that contemporary Inuit art “is postwar, and evolving fast.” At the Inuit Art Centre ( IAC), contemporary work by Inuit artists will be a constant presence, and the centre will be curated by Inuit scholars. Heather Igloliorte, who is a co-chair of the WAG’s Indigenous Advisory Circle, will lead a team of four guest curators for the IAC’s inaugural shows in 2020. “By creating an Inuit curatorial team that represents each region of Inuit Nunangat” — the Inuit homeland, across the Canadian Arctic — “we’re really bringing four perspectives,” she says, “on how Inuit might present their work differently.”

The facility is designed to accommodate work in different media and a range of curatorial approaches. A three-storey “visible vault” lined in glass will put much of the WAG’s Inuit carvings on display, hinting at the breadth of that collection. Upward from there will be an “interactive theatre,” meant for public talks, educational programs and dialogues through videoconferencing with artists, elders, and community members in the North. Education spaces will move to the top floor. The IAC will connect to each of the levels of the WAG’s current facility, weaving Inuit art into each part of the institution.

And the showpiece of the new wing will be the Inuit Gallery, a curvaceous 8,000-square-foot space whose ceilings will reach as high as 10 metres. It will be sky-lit, very tall and very open. This is radical. While contemporary Inuit artists are working in varied media and at different scales – the IAC will present a projection work by Zacharias Kunuk, for instance -- the stone carvings that have ruled Inuit art tend to be small, and curatorial convention would place small work in small space. Yet “I’ve had the sense that art looks best in buildings that closely resemble the studio in which it was made,” says Mr. Maltzan, a distinguished architect who has designed a series of museum and gallery projects, most prominently a temporary location for the Museum of Modern Art in New York.

But on a trip to Nunavut with WAG staff, Mr. Maltzan learned “that a lot of stone small carvings are made outside.” So the IAC “must, in some way, represent something of the landscapes of the North – with a scale and an abstraction that insinuates something of the quality of being there.”

On the exterior, the new addition has the appearance of an iceberg: curving, somewhat irregular and predominantly white. Glass on the first two levels, facing the street, gives way to white masonry above. In this way it will slide onto the beloved existing WAG building by local architect Gustavo da Roza, which is wrapped in the pale Manitoba limestone known as Tyndall stone. The existing building “is basically a triangular object,” says Mr. Maltzan, “but it has a back, which is where the IAC will fit.”

The design of the IAC – on which Winnipeg’s Cibinel Architects are collaborating – has evolved since it was unveiled more than three years ago, becoming more open to the street and also more monumental. It will be an unflashy but beautiful object.

That tone, bold but respectful, seems fitting for the WAG’s mission of outreach and engagement. “It’s not just a new building to house an Inuit art collection,” says Dr. Igloliorte. “It’s so much more than that: It’s meant to be a space where Inuit feel like they have ownership and leadership over the direction of Inuit art, and to showcase the depth and breadth of Inuit art.”

The gallery, she suggests, will become a place of deep importance to the Inuit. “There is no capital of Inuit Nunangat,” Dr. Igloliorte argues. “This is one place we can all come together.”
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/arts...+Article+Links

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada