HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

30 Park Place in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Feb 15, 2008, 12:22 AM
Frigidus Maximus

"Trump TRUMPED!"

How THAT must irk The Donald.

Let's hope it irritates him enough that he gets up off his increasingly fat ass, adjusts his horrific comb over, and actually builds a supertall in New York City.

I ❤️ NY

Old Posted Feb 15, 2008, 2:21 AM
Desert Dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolCzech View Post
"Trump TRUMPED!"

How THAT must irk The Donald.

Let's hope it irritates him enough that he gets up off his increasingly fat ass, adjusts his horrific comb over, and actually builds a supertall in New York City.
^Yes! Because Trump and his "increasingly fat ass" just hasnt done enough skycrapers in New York! Oh lordy no! I mean having ONLY 8 properties opening between 2007 - 2010 across the world, you think that lazy loser would have time to "finally build a supertall in New York!"

20 Buildings in New York Alone, oh no! Not enough! What a wuss!

(wikipedia, NYC Sports & Travel.com)

Last edited by Patrick; Feb 15, 2008 at 6:39 AM.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2008, 4:07 AM

Trump is the like the mcdonalds of private development

Old Posted Feb 15, 2008, 12:46 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
http://www.nysun.com/article/71293

Living the Highest Life

By BRADLEY HOPE
February 14, 2008

Donald Trump's 860-foot high-rise, at 845 United Nations Plaza at 47th Street, is about to be "trumped" by Larry Silverstein's new condominium-hotel at 99 Church St. The new tower, which is to stand at 912 feet and whose units will go on sale in a year, will include a 4,800-square-foot top-floor penthouse with 15-foot ceilings and outdoor space.

Despite being bested by about five floors, Mr. Trump said in an interview that he wasn't worried about the competition. Mr. Silverstein's building "can't compete with Trump World Tower," he said. "It doesn't have the location, the United Nations. You can't compete with that. ... You can see out to the Hamptons."
Classic Trump...

You know we haven't heard the last from him on that. Still, its too early to start celebrating about which tower will have the highest apartments in New York. We don't know exactly how high Gehry's tower is, and of course, there's still the MOMA tower, and the Girasole, both 1,000 footers in Midtown. Ratner's Gehry tower will likely top out before Silverstein's.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2008, 12:50 PM
New Yorker for life

http://downtownexpress.com/de_250/onedayshutdown.html

One day shutdown for Silverstein

Feb. 15 - 21 , 2008

The 99 Church St. project that nearly received a standing ovation at a breakfast hosted by developer Larry Silverstein two weeks ago, got a stop work order this month.

The Buildings Department issued 99 Church St. a stop-work order Feb. 6, after citing the building for two violations, said Carly Sullivan, Buildings spokesperson. The building’s stairway had holes, which compromise its fire rating. Also, the debris chute was unenclosed, which means debris could fly out and hit someone.

The stop-work order was lifted the following day, after Silverstein Properties corrected the violations.

The inspection followed a complaint that debris was close to the edge of the roof and in danger of falling, but these conditions were not confirmed in the Buildings Department’s report.

Silverstein is currently demolishing the building at 99 Church St., former headquarters of Moody’s Corp., to build a high-rise tower housing a Four Seasons hotel and high-end condos.

— Julie Shapiro

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2008, 12:51 PM
Frigidus Maximus

So Patrick...

How many of the pics you posted were of supertalls?

I ❤️ NY

Old Posted Feb 15, 2008, 1:15 PM
Urban Explorer

Quote:
So Patrick...

Wait...I must be confused....99 Church isn't a supertall, either.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2008, 1:22 PM
New Yorker for life

Trump will get his Manhattan supertall. Its just a matter of location...

Old Posted Feb 15, 2008, 4:16 PM
Frigidus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by gttx View Post
Wait...I must be confused....99 Church isn't a supertall, either.
Did anyone say a word about Silverstein putting up a supertall?

I must have missed that.

All I remember was expressing the sentiment that Trump should build a supertall in Manhattan, finally (after all the years since he first promised to).

BTW, 99 Church Street comes damn closed to being one.

I ❤️ NY

Old Posted Feb 15, 2008, 4:25 PM
Frigidus Maximus

downtownexpress.com

One day shutdown for Silverstein

The 99 Church St. project that nearly received a standing ovation at a breakfast hosted by developer Larry Silverstein two weeks ago, got a stop work order this month.

The Buildings Department issued 99 Church St. a stop-work order Feb. 6, after citing the building for two violations, said Carly Sullivan, Buildings spokesperson. The building’s stairway had holes, which compromise its fire rating. Also, the debris chute was unenclosed, which means debris could fly out and hit someone.

The stop-work order was lifted the following day, after Silverstein Properties corrected the violations.

The inspection followed a complaint that debris was close to the edge of the roof and in danger of falling, but these conditions were not confirmed in the Buildings Department’s report.

Silverstein is currently demolishing the building at 99 Church St., former headquarters of Moody’s Corp., to build a high-rise tower housing a Four Seasons hotel and high-end condos.

— Julie Shapiro

I ❤️ NY

Old Posted Feb 16, 2008, 1:19 AM
Desert Dweller

Quote:
So Patrick...

Its not like Trump shits out supertalls out his ass. And it apparantly looks pretty hard to actually build a supertall in Manhattan these days.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2008, 4:15 PM
Frigidus Maximus

All I meant, Patrick, was that I would like to see Trump build something as tall in Manhattan as he's currently putting up in Chicago.

I ❤️ NY

Old Posted Feb 16, 2008, 4:37 PM
Urban Explorer

Quote:
All I meant, Patrick, was that I would like to see Trump build something as tall in Manhattan as he's currently putting up in Chicago.
I believe what Patrick was trying to say was that Trump's 20 or so buildings in Manhattan did much more for the city than one stinking supertall in Chicago. He gets a bad rap for some reason, but Trump has done, and continues to do, great things in New York. He'll put a supertall up eventually....but a bunch of 700 footers is OK with me, for now.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2008, 5:49 PM
Frigidus Maximus

NY Sun

At Home Among the Clouds
By FRANCIS MORRONE
Special to the Sun
February 14, 2008

New York is again reaching for the sky, as the city has perhaps not done since the 1920s. Developer Larry Silverstein recently announced that his forthcoming apartment building and hotel at 99 Church Street would be 912 feet high. That will make the Robert A.M. Stern-designed structure the tallest residential building in New York.

Until recently, all of the city's super-tall buildings have been office buildings. New Yorkers have never really lived all that high up in the air. The fabled penthouses of Park Avenue or Central Park West were ever only 300 or 400 feet high. By the standards of history and of many other places, that's pretty high up. But by the standards of Manhattan skyscrapers, a handful of which rise more than 1,000 feet, it's not much.

Today, the city's tallest residential building, in whole or in part, is the Trump World Tower (on First Avenue between 47th and 48th streets). At 861 feet, it has had that title since 2001 — before which it was held for 14 years by CitySpire (on 56th Street between Sixth and Seventh avenues), which is mixed-use with apartments in its higher reaches. The Trump Tower (Fifth Avenue at 56th Street), also mixed-use, reigned between 1983 and 1987, taking the top spot from the Waldorf Towers part of the Waldorf-Astoria Hotel. But while the Waldorf had permanent apartments, it was primarily a transient hotel. The highest all-residential building between 1926 and 2001 — an amazing run for such a title in New York City — was the 541-foot Ritz Tower, on 57th Street at Park Avenue.

The Ritz Tower was an "apartment hotel." Though they were for permanent and not transient residents, units in apartment hotels did not — or were not supposed to — have kitchen facilities. That exempted the buildings from the tenement house laws and certain fire regulations that applied to all apartment buildings. In fact, many apartment hotel units were built with serving pantries equipped with refrigerators, running water, and outlets to which electrical stoves could be attached. In 1926, as the Ritz Tower was being readied for occupancy, the press implicated it in a sweeping move by the state's Tenement House Commission to declare illegal many of the apartment hotels going up in the city. Arthur Brisbane, the former Hearst journalist who was the developer of the Ritz Tower, protested that his building was falsely implicated — that it contained but two kitchens on its 42 floors. One kitchen served the building's tenants. The other was in Brisbane's own duplex apartment. There the matter rested.

Brisbane hired Emery Roth to design the building. Roth, more than any other architect, pioneered the "mansions in the clouds" style of Manhattan living. He designed Central Park West classics such as the San Remo, the Eldorado, and the Majestic. Roth and Brisbane, however, had some difficulties getting the design of the Ritz Tower just to their liking, and brought in Thomas Hastings to contribute to the design. Hastings had been the partner of the late John Carrère, and their credits included the New York Public Library. Late in his career, Hastings grew interested in the design of tall buildings. (In fact, the firm of Shreve, Lamb & Harmon, which designed the Empire State Building, grew out of Carrère & Hastings.) Classical devices enliven the Ritz Tower's sleekly telescoping stepped-back masses, and the obelisk finials are highly reminiscent of those on Hastings's contemporaneous Standard Oil Building at 26 Broadway. There's also a definite Jazz Age quality to the Ritz Tower, reminding us that the jazziest part of the Jazz Age wasn't marked by Art Deco, but by an easygoing classicism.

Contrast its design with that of the Trump World Tower. Donald Trump's building was designed by the Polish architect Marta Rudzka. Outraged neighbors opposed its construction; they were particularly concerned about its tremendous height. I myself have been known to consider certain buildings as too tall. In the end, though, it's the quality of design that matters. Trump World Tower is very successful on its own terms. It's the terms that are problematic. Basically, the building is an undifferentiated dark glass mass, a shiny object meant to register as such — and as nothing more. Sustained viewing is not only unrewarding, but also psychologically jarring.

Mr. Stern can handle tremendous scale because he understands that good buildings are made of varied and sensibly interrelated units. It's an old-fashioned notion to be sure — the same as that which informs the Ritz Tower's design. It's why his 550-foot apartment building, 15 Central Park West, works so well. Its rhythmical fenestration, moldings, and varied roofline are the sorts of devices New York skyscraper architects, all the way through the Art Deco era, knew humanized their tall buildings. Let's be clear: It's not so much that a style becomes passé in architecture as that the purposes a style serves become passé. In this case, humanizing the tall building is the purpose that has become, for the most part, hopelessly unchic.

Perhaps the best thing about 15 Central Park West is its beautiful limestone exterior, which creates a pocket of warm, shimmering light that benefits all the buildings around it. Mr. Stern plans to use limestone again at 99 Church St., which Mr. Silverstein says will be completed in 2010. Just as some Turtle Bay residents were concerned that Trump World Tower would overwhelm the United Nations Secretariat Building, some have voiced concern that 99 Church Street will overpower the adjacent Woolworth Building. Given that three 1,000-foot-plus towers have been approved for the former World Trade Center site, I think the Woolworth Building will be overwhelmed anyway. And from the renderings, 99 Church Street — with its slender profile and subtle massing — could improve the ground zero towers by placing them in a sensible sequence with the Woolworth Building.

A worrisome thing about the present boom is that at least twice before in New York did flurries of super-tall buildings run smack into colossal economic meltdowns — think of the crash of 1929 and the fiscal crisis of the mid-1970s. But the histories of cities are full of surprises. Who just a few years ago had not ceded the tall-building sweepstakes to Hong Kong, Dubai, or Kuala Lumpur? Who just a few years ago didn't think that New Yorkers just weren't interested anymore? Well, apparently we are.

I ❤️ NY

Last edited by CoolCzech; Feb 16, 2008 at 7:12 PM.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2008, 10:54 PM
Desert Dweller

Quote:
I believe what Patrick was trying to say was that Trump's 20 or so buildings in Manhattan did much more for the city than one stinking supertall in Chicago. He gets a bad rap for some reason, but Trump has done, and continues to do, great things in New York. He'll put a supertall up eventually....but a bunch of 700 footers is OK with me, for now.
Yess! Exactly my point.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2008, 4:50 AM

Trump gets a bad rep for a good reason - he is a cheesy, gimmick-based hack who creates the cheapest "luxury" possible and markets it to the masses by running over many people in his path. However, there is no denying that the cheesy fucker has done plenty of good things for the city and has done wonders as popularizing highrise luxury in the city. I'll take a cheesy clown with a funny hairdo who has done quite a bit to make living in the city more popular any day over the more "cultured" and unassuming developers that make their living by constructing tracts of barely livable, unsustainable development over what was once countryside surrounding the city.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2008, 10:09 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
He gets a bad rap for some reason, but Trump has done, and continues to do, great things in New York. He'll put a supertall up eventually....but a bunch of 700 footers is OK with me, for now.
I've got no problem with Trump. As I've said before, he gets things DONE, given the oppurtunity. There's none better.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2008, 3:01 PM
Frigidus Maximus

I think what rubs a lot of people the wrong way is his knack for self-promotion at every opportunity: like giving that ridiculous press conference with models of the original Twin Towers behind him, as though he had any intention whatsoever of helping fund them.

Look, I'm sorry if I ruffled the feathers of any Trump fans, but again: all I was ultimately expressing was the sentiment that Trump should build something as tall in Manhattan as he's currenly got underway in Chicago.

I ❤️ NY

Old Posted Feb 18, 2008, 3:44 PM
Urban Explorer

Quote:
all I was ultimately expressing was the sentiment that Trump should build something as tall in Manhattan as he's currenly got underway in Chicago.
...which I think we can all agree with!

Old Posted Feb 18, 2008, 6:11 PM

Quote:
NY Sun

At Home Among the Clouds
By FRANCIS MORRONE
Special to the Sun
February 14, 2008

Let's be clear: It's not so much that a style becomes passé in architecture as that the purposes a style serves become passé. In this case, humanizing the tall building is the purpose that has become, for the most part, hopelessly unchic.
This "humanizing" of tall/big construction is such a subjective and often used against any large structure. Of course most tall towers aren't human scale. The reason for building them is that they allow us to step out of that scale. I really wish this "human scale" argument would die its rightful death.

Good article though. A friend from Hong Kong always asked me why here in New York it is the office workers who are in tall buildings, generally, while in HK they seem to put a much higher value on living in higher floors. I didn't know the answer but I suspect that it has a lot to do with the availability of suburbs here vs. the restricted space in Hong Kong. Also, the trend towards residential/hotel super-high rises has been more recent as the corporate power that built the Chrysler, Sears, and other tallest buidings has been augmented by the residential market that builds the Burj Dubai, Chicago Spires and Trump World Towers.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive