HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Sports & Outdoor Recreation

Old Posted May 31, 2008, 2:18 AM

^ he hit the truck head on and died instantly. they said there were gusts of 70 km/h winds that night.

Old Posted May 31, 2008, 3:39 AM
blog this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Built Form View Post
Why is everyone lamenting the loss and extolling the greatness of a 21 year old irresponsible millionaire? It was broad daylight and only he is responsible for his own death. Anyone at that age takes risks and thinks they are invincible, especially those athletes who are rewarded for braun instead of brains.

I mean come on people he was just a HOCKEY player. He didn't stop any wars or find a cure to cancer. And all I hear is how bad it is for the Canucks like we should be sorry for a greedy organization that overcharges it's customers and is swimming in money without providing any societal benefits.

Let's get a grip on reality people.
Man, such heartlessness.

Old Posted May 31, 2008, 3:44 AM
Yellow Fever

Quote:
Why is everyone lamenting the loss and extolling the greatness of a 21 year old irresponsible millionaire? It was broad daylight and only he is responsible for his own death. Anyone at that age takes risks and thinks they are invincible, especially those athletes who are rewarded for braun instead of brains.

I mean come on people he was just a HOCKEY player. He didn't stop any wars or find a cure to cancer. And all I hear is how bad it is for the Canucks like we should be sorry for a greedy organization that overcharges it's customers and is swimming in money without providing any societal benefits.

I see your point and I do agree with you in some ways but it is still too bad for a young man died like this!

Old Posted May 31, 2008, 3:48 AM
blog this

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc85 View Post
This celebration of this person is absolutely ridiculous; he is a person just like anyone else. Perhaps if he were a premier or prime minister, then he would deserve some attention, but for a hockey player? cmon, he deserves just as much attention and publicity as the last person killed in a motor vehicle accident. Don't remember who that was? Right, cause they didn't get any publicity.
Have you ever heard the saying, hmm how does it go: "The main goal of the daily newspaper is to make people care about the death of people they never knew existed." Anyway, something like that.

In this case, a lot of people knew about Luc Bourdon and had high hopes for him as a Canuck and as a person. It is not ridiculous at all that so many are sad at his passing.

Old Posted May 31, 2008, 6:04 PM

It is disheartening to see that some segments, rather, a majority of our population believes in idolizing hockey players, a group of people that contribute no significant contribution to Canada's society. They do not make a great contribution to science, law, or government. They simply play a sport, much like I did last night.

I am ashamed to see people install in their children their desire for their children to become hockey players. I am cmon, you should try and push your children to become intellectuals, a person who is able to think for themselves, able to understand society, be able to say something more than "yea, we had the puck in a end too much this game, we gotta try harder and be more offensive", or something along those lines.

Old Posted May 31, 2008, 6:09 PM

Quote:

You ought to send your ridiculos comment to his family and friends.

Last edited by ErickMontreal; May 31, 2008 at 6:25 PM.

Old Posted May 31, 2008, 8:08 PM
blog this

Quote:
It is disheartening to see that some segments, rather, a majority of our population believes in idolizing hockey players, a group of people that contribute no significant contribution to Canada's society.
Baloney. Hockey players, ie. Trevor Linden, contribute more than you know.

Quote:
They do not make a great contribution to science, law, or government.
‘There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.’
— William Shakespeare

Old Posted May 31, 2008, 8:51 PM

somewhere around gm place:

Old Posted May 31, 2008, 10:12 PM

Quote:

You are right: he IS responsible for his own death, riding a motorcycle in strong crosswinds with a fresh class 6 license; however, he is in the public realm, was looked upon by many in Vancouver (and here in Winnipeg) as a promising upcoming star -- and particularly in the eyes of children. It made me feel terrible when I heard about it, well there are certainly many young fans out there that are saddened by this. Yes, I'm sure everyone can read the message here about responsibility, but lets not attack people's right to their own feelings and emotions on this tragic event.

Oh, and while I also agree that the canucks have been gouging their fans as of late with the ridiculous ticket prices and such, I'm afraid that your comment that they don't provide any societal benefits is incorrect. Have year heard of Canuck Place?

http://www.canuckplace.com/

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Sports & Outdoor Recreation