HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Sports & Outdoor Recreation

Old Posted Jul 2, 2008, 3:27 AM

Canucks offer two-year US$20-million contract to Sundin

Sundin sleeping on Canucks' $20-million offer
Blues match Vancouver offer sheet to Backes; Wellwood accepts qualifying offer

Elliott Pap, Vancouver Sun
Published: Tuesday, July 01, 2008

VANCOUVER - On the first day of NHL free agency, the Vancouver Canucks made a stupendous offer to Mats Sundin and an offer sheet to David Backes.

But all they managed Tuesday was to sign tough guy Darcy Hordichuk and waiver pick-up Kyle Wellwood.

New Canuck general manager Mike Gillis put a two-year, $20 million thunderbolt in front of Sundin and the 37-year-old centre went to bed Tuesday in Stockholm to sleep on it. Gillis hopes to receive an answer today.

"Our offer makes Mats the highest paid player in the league so I'm optimistic that we've made the best offer he can receive," Gillis said on a conference call. "We think we presented an opportunity here that he would like. The city is a great city to live in and we've had tremendous success with Swedish players who loved living here and want to stay here.

"So we think we have a lot of positives to offer in addition to the financial ones."

Sundin, the long-time Toronto Maple Leaf captain, had another fine season in 2007-08 with 78 points in 74 games. At 6-5 and 230 pounds, he would finally give the Canucks a large presence at the centre ice position to complement Henrik Sedin.

The Canucks' offer sheet to Backes, a 24-year-old restricted free agent with St. Louis, was quickly matched by the Blues.

Gillis disclosed that he attempted to trade for the 6-3 right winger and when that proved fruitless -- "it was like a Volkswagen for a Porsche," noted Blues president John Davidson -- the Canucks made the three-year proposal at $2.5 million per season.

"We identified David Backes as an up-and-coming young player who we had a great deal of interest in," Gillis explained. "I thought the St. Louis Blues had a number of young right wingers and it would be a stretch for them to match but they chose to right away. They retained a good, young player."

Backes was on his honeymoon in Hawaii when the Canuck offer rolled in. His agent, Wade Arnott, had to wake him up to deliver the news.

"David was rather surprised at how Vancouver stepped up," Arnott said. "He was also surprised by how quickly St. Louis made the decision to match because he was fully aware of the rules and that St. Louis had seven days."

Backes, a native of Minnesota, told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, he was pleased to be staying put.

"It shows me I'm in their plans for the next three years and it shows me they had a lot of faith in me to produce," said Backes, who has 54 points in 121 NHL games.

Hordichuk, meanwhile, will bring a presence to the Canucks' fourth line. The Kamsack, Sask., native signed for three years at what is believed to be $750,000 per season. It's also believed that Hordichuk's arrival indicates that Jeff Cowan is on the way out.

"I'd prefer not to answer that," responded Gillis when queried about Cowan's future in Vancouver.

Hordichuk, 27, appeared ecstatic with the Canucks' offer. He spent the last three seasons with the Nashville Predators.

"Looking at Vancouver, I think I'm the perfect fit and that's why I signed there," said Hordichuk, a 215-pounder who has 26 points and 747 penalty minutes in his 302 NHL games.

"I'm excited to bring my style of play to Vancouver. I know my role. I like to be physical. I like to run around and hit guys. I like to not only protect my teammates but kind of instigate some of the guys to drop their gloves and, if they don't, then usually I'll go after their skill players."

Hordichuk, a former Saskatoon Blade, has also done time with the Atlanta Thrashers, Florida Panthers and Phoenix Coyotes, all non-traditional hockey markets.

"When I look back at my career, I think some of my best games have come in front of the Canadian fans," Hordichuk continued. "I feel I am in the prime of my career and it's always been my dream to come back to Canada. So I'm more than excited.

"My wife, who is an American from Arizona, is excited and my family is excited. I've been waiting for this for a long time."

Gillis said he liked the energy Hordichuk is expected to bring to Vancouver's fourth line.

"We wanted to add a person who would be able to compete at this level and hit primarily," added the Canuck GM. "He really wanted to be here in Vancouver so we're quite pleased to have him signed."

Wellwood, acquired last week on waivers from the Leafs, accepted his qualifying offer for $997,500.

epap@png.canwest.com

Old Posted Jul 2, 2008, 4:01 AM
Yellow Fever

I hope he knew what he was doing. $20millions seems a little bit too much for a 37 years old guy. I wish Brian Burke would still be with the Canucks!

Old Posted Jul 2, 2008, 4:13 AM
Glorfied Overrated Guest

is Sundin worth 20 million for two years where ever he ends up?

Pinky: I think so, Brain, but this time, you put the trousers on the chimp.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2008, 4:29 AM

It would make him the highest paid player in the league. It is just plain STUPID. What the heck are they thinking?

A 37 year old who is LONG past his potential is clearly not worth $10 million per season. He is probably barely worth the $5.5 million Toronto has been paying him.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2008, 4:57 AM

It's like we're seeing the McCaw era all over again.

Mark Messier part II.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2008, 6:22 AM

It was actually Arthur Griffiths' idea to go after Mark Messier.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2008, 6:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distill3d View Post
is Sundin worth 20 million for two years where ever he ends up?
No. I've talked to some die-hard Maple Leaf/Sundin fans that laughed when they heard the news, suggesting that he is worth $7, maybe $8 million a season tops.

If Gillis goes through with this deal, it would be such an awful start to his term as GM, but maybe he is already desperate to keep his job....

Old Posted Jul 2, 2008, 6:53 AM
Yellow Fever

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastVanMark View Post
It was actually Arthur Griffiths' idea to go after Mark Messier.
That's why he is a loser and he almost single handedly destroyed the huge businese empire his father worked so hard to build!

Old Posted Jul 2, 2008, 6:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hong Kongese View Post
That's why he is a loser and he almost single handedly destroyed the huge businese empire his father worked so hard to build!
Didn't he start the Vancouver 2010 bid? I believe he himself spent $5-million on convincing the Canadian Olympic Committee to choose Vancouver over Calgary and Quebec City.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2008, 8:05 AM
I worship Led Zeppelin

It looks like the lockout was all for nothing now.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2008, 8:17 AM

id rather pay hossa than sundin, even tho hossa isnt even worth that either.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2008, 7:00 PM

Hossa has gone to the Red Wings on a $7.4 million, one-year contract.

Rumor was that Edmonton was offering him $9 million. Maybe he was reluctant to get into a multi-year contract there.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2008, 8:38 PM

I think the question here is if he is a good fit for the team and the value he brings to the team. I think he will be a perfect fit for us. Also maybe this will help us keep Naslund and have him play at his former level, and increase drive. He may even want to play at a reduced price because of the increased opertunity to do well in the playoffs. Just start thinking about the top lines with him here. but ya 10 mill pretty big, but at least we know we have someone that can pull the trigger.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2008, 9:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmorek View Post
It looks like the lockout was all for nothing now.
Yeah, considering in pre-lockout only the Leafs and Rangers were spending enormous amounts of money, in the 50 - 60 million range. Then, after the lockout the salary cap was $39 million, and now the MINIMUM a team can have is $40 million and the cap is $56 million. We lost a whole year of hockey for nothing... the Canucks could have won the cup that year!

Old Posted Jul 2, 2008, 9:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yume-sama View Post
the Canucks could have won the cup that year!
LOL

Old Posted Jul 2, 2008, 10:00 PM
I worship Led Zeppelin

This deal is looking pretty messy, eh?

Old Posted Jul 3, 2008, 3:29 AM
Glorfied Overrated Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yume-sama View Post
...the Canucks could have won the cup that year!
the memorial cup maybe

Pinky: I think so, Brain, but this time, you put the trousers on the chimp.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2008, 5:48 AM
Yellow Fever

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.x2 View Post
Didn't he start the Vancouver 2010 bid? I believe he himself spent $5-million on convincing the Canadian Olympic Committee to choose Vancouver over Calgary and Quebec City.
He might be the one who started it, but he didn't finish it! Please correct me if I am wrong. Wasn't he the one who quit as the chairman of the Vanoc? (at that time the Vanoc was just a non-profit organization and almost everybody who worked there was a volunteer) His reason he left the Vanoc was because he couldn't afford to work for free anymore. He cited that his career and future would have gone nowhere if he continue to stick around with the board.

Ironically, after he left the Vanoc, the city won the bid to host the 2010 games, and the Vanoc becomes no longer a non-profit group. It started looking for a new full-time ceo with good pay of course. Arthur tried to get his old job back but got turn down and the rest was history!

* Sundin just turn down the $20 million deal with the Nucks!

Old Posted Jul 3, 2008, 6:18 AM

Quote:
He might be the one who started it, but he didn't finish it! Please correct me if I am wrong. Wasn't he the one who quit as the chairman of the Vanoc? (at that time the Vanoc was just a non-profit organization and almost everybody who worked there was a volunteer) His reason he left the Vanoc was because he couldn't afford to work for free anymore. He cited that his career and future would have gone nowhere if he continue to stick around with the board.

Ironically, after he left the Vanoc, the city won the bid to host the 2010 games, and the Vanoc becomes no longer a non-profit group. It started looking for a new full-time ceo with good pay of course. Arthur tried to get his old job back but got turn down and the rest was history!

* Sundin just turn down the $20 million deal with the Nucks!

That's correct!:

Griffiths served as the unpaid chair of the nascent effort to bring the 2010 Winter Olympics to Vancouver, helping persuade the Canadian Olympic Committee to back B.C. over rival bids from Quebec and Alberta.

But he stepped down in early 2000, saying the post required too much of a sacrifice: "Staying would stop my career -- if not my life."

He was also concerned about the publicity: "Essentially, what you have to do is set yourself up for almost constant personal scrutiny."

Eighteen months later, with the B.C. Liberals in power, he tried to reenter the Olympic ring, applying for an advertised position as president and chief executive officer of the bid for the 2010 Games.

He didn't get far. A month after he announced his intentions, he was out of the running.

"I got an interview on Saturday morning and I got a phone call Sunday afternoon that said 'Thanks but we're going in a different direction with someone else,'" he told reporter Tom Barrett of The Vancouver Sun.

Disappointed? "Absolutely." Griffiths had not even made the short list.

A month later, Jack Poole was installed as president and CEO, with John Furlong as his understudy. After the B.C. bid succeeded in 2003, Furlong was appointed CEO of Vanoc, the Olympic organizing committee.

Griffiths name doesn't pop out of the files as many times these past few years. He continued to develop real estate, including a project on the harbour here in the provincial capital. He did a turn as an on-air personality on the now defunct MOJO radio.

Furlong was paid $1.00 a year as CEO of the 2010 bid committee.....but eversince VANOC was formed after we won the Games, he gets paid something like $300,000 a year with bonuses - even more than our Premier.

I find it hilarious that Griffth's is trying to run for a seat in Victoria next year. I've gotta hand it to him though for building us GM Place.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2008, 6:45 AM

Quote:
OUCH! You seem to have a real hate on for Arthur. (Even though you are totally right about him almost completely wiping out his father's business empire). But at least keep in mind that he lost most of that money bringing NBA basketball to Vancouver, building GM Place (which almost certainly wouldn't have been built without him, which would have cost Vancouver its lone major professional sports franchise). So lets at least give him credit for that. Vancouver needs more people like him who think big and want only the biggest and the best for Vancouver

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Sports & Outdoor Recreation