HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Engineering

Old Posted Jan 3, 2010, 1:33 AM

An Automated At-Home Postal Service

I've been a big fan of the Interstate Traveller Project in Michigan where the system would combine electrical, sewage, and hydrogen pipes which would both power the system and keep traveling rates low. This system has gotten me to wonder: Is it possible to create an Automated At-Home Postal Service?

With my system you would have a hole drilled into the side of one of your rooms. Here you could receiver or send a package. Lets say you want to send a package. You would place the item in the box (it would have to be the size of a regular,average package or smaller) and type in where you want it to go (Just like PRT). It would go thru pipes that are either buried or elevated. It would use the power of Maglev like those machines at the bank and it would be automated like PRT computers.

You could order packages online and they would be instantly delivered, you could even order food without having to get out.

The system could be built with electrical wires so that during storms electrical wires would not go down. If PRT ever catches on, it could be installed inside the guideways and you wouldn't see very much of the system.

So what does everyone think? Will this ever be possible?

Old Posted Jan 3, 2010, 3:56 PM

the idea seems very 1939 worlds fair.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2010, 4:21 PM
Resident Jackass

The cost of installing large diameter pipes capable of moving packages, or even just letters into everyone's home along would be far greater than paying a guy to deliver your mail.

No, it will never happen.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2010, 6:51 PM

I like the idea of instant package delivery. It fits today's society that wants everything "now".

Yeah, underground utilities are so expensive to install and modify. I can see how it would be easy to include a package delivery "conduit" with all the other conduits in the Traveller project.

It would one-up pneumatic tube systems of the olden days by maybe providing 2-way service with one pipe, diverter free operation, self driven packages that recharge using the maglev technology along the route, and of course computer controlled traffic flow.

Also, you could use transportation, environmentally green, and postal service funds because you will be reducing vehicular traffic, pollution, and postal jobs.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2010, 12:12 AM

banks dont use maglev technology and neither would this system, lol.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Engineering